Desert Island Discs

Re: Desert Island Discs

The Shuthonger One 30 Jun 2018 17:53 pm said..

My conservative pick may be a little liberal one later
Verdi' s Requiem (I read about it in a magazine and how it affected the writer so I bought it. Brilliant. Heard it later in Gloucester Cathedral moved to tears)
Van Morrison - In the Garden (Bought album in morning went to game and listened in flat leapt out at me)

Bob Dylan - Your a big girl now(I was told Blood on Tracks was great album. I agree but to me this is stand out track)
Massive Attack - Safe from Harm (Could be anything from Blue Lines)
Lauren Hill - To Zion (Could be anything from album, my favourite)
Jackson Browne - Fountain of Sorrow (reminds me of my uni years but still love)
Blue Nile - Happiness ( Could be any of theirs, Paul Buchanan was the year above me at school)
Jackie Leven - I Say a Little Prayer (Sacrilege but my favourite version of this song. Great voice )
Books Strangers and Brothers series by CP Snow (Brilliant series of novels about politics etc of first half of 20th century Britian)
Luxury - flushing toilet with requisite paper
I will keep Van because of the voice.
The Shuthonger One
Vice-Captain

Mclaren547 30 Jun 2018 18:20 pm said..

I have been listening to Gammo’s Spotify playlist of the desert island disc picks as I have been spending quite a few hours in the car every day last week.It really makes fascinating listening especially hearing tracks you have never heard of mixed in with better known ones. I have listened both with the tracks in the original order so you get each contributor’s theme so to speak and also on shuffle play where the next track could go anywhere I.e A whole lot of Rosie followed by Fantasia - quite a contrast .
Mclaren547
Academy prospect

torchy6 30 Jun 2018 18:54 pm said..

So, do you drive a McLaren 540? 8-)
The world is oval - and that's a fact!
torchy6
Hall of Famer

Mclaren547 01 Jul 2018 00:33 am said..

Sadly not Torchy,
I am however the lucky owner of a McLaren that was made only three years after Glos moved to Kingsholm and whilst not fast could pull a couple of those nice 540s backwards.
Mclaren547
Academy prospect

torchy6 01 Jul 2018 02:35 am said..

Oh Of course you are tractor driver, how perfectly apt. :D
The world is oval - and that's a fact!
torchy6
Hall of Famer

Glen Sannox 01 Jul 2018 04:49 am said..

Jackie Leven makes a belated appearance -splendid. He has a playlist all to himself on my Brennan - you could say he was prolific in his various guises. What a voice - gone too soon
Cherchez la truffe
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

dwilly 01 Jul 2018 10:33 am said..

Pay attention Glen, Jackie Leven was also in my list of some time ago. Prolific indeed he did go too early. Doll by Doll's 'Gypsy Blood' is in my top few albums as well, greatly under recognised work
dwilly
Senior squad member

barrie 01 Jul 2018 17:49 pm said..

Fair Play - Van Morrison
Small hours - John Martyn
End of the Rainbow - Richard & Linda Thompson
Tumbling Dice - Rolling Stones
Bargain - The Who
Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple
When the Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin
(keeper) Ballerina - Van Morrison

Midwich Cuckoos - John Wyndham

Loaded tablet with charger.
barrie
First team regular

madders 01 Jul 2018 20:07 pm said..

The Shuthonger One.... The Blue Nile, been playing “heatwave” recently, can’t think why. What a fantastic album “ a walk across the rooftops” was.
Shows our ages, but wouldn’t swap for anything.
madders
Hall of Famer

radioshed 02 Jul 2018 23:33 pm said..

ManOutofTime by Elvis Costello - our best ever songwriter with a song about the duplicity of public life ( came out around the time of the Cecil Parkinson affair)
Andalucia by Doves - a great band, all their albums top class, didnt quite make it unlike their mates Elbow
Paranoid Android by Radiohead - best British band over the last 25 years, still pushing the musical boundries
Bliss by Muse - another great band from the last 25 years
Back of Love by Echo and the Bunnymen - their first 4 albums still sound fresh nearly 40 years on and better than what most bands produce today
Reflektor by Arcade Fire - great inventive music and brilliant live
A Song for the Lovers by Richard Ashcroft - top singer songwriter
Bad Days by The Charlatans - still making quality tunes

Catch 22 - captures the humour and tragedy of life

Luxury would be a good pair of nail clippers
radioshed
Vice-Captain
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby