Sale's backline

Re: Sale's backline

SirHenry 05 Jul 2018 09:43 am said..

9. Faf de Klerk Willie Heinz
10. AJ MacGinty Danny Cipriani
11. Solomona Tom Marshall
12. Van Rensburg Billy Twelvetrees
13. James O'Connor Henry Trinder
14. Yarde Matt Banahan
15. Chris Ashton. Jason Woodward

Bench

Cliff Velacott / Braley
? Williams / Burns
? Sharples/Thorley/Atkinson/Purdy/Hudson

In terms of starting lineup would we say Sale may edge it? I would select 2 of the Sale starting line up over Glaws and 1 definite in return the rest for me are 50/50

But what does the bench look like and how well will they cope after a couple of injuries/call ups?
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living
Posts: 802
SirHenry
On the board

Re: Sale's backline

chris1850 05 Jul 2018 10:19 am said..

Baz wrote:Good luck to Sale Chris 1850 but it must be tough relying on crowds of 5,000 for home games? I'm sure the owners have plans to encourage more support but I'm not sure the promise of 'The Ashton Splash' will do it. No doubt sale will competitive but no side will go all season without injuries so that backline will look very different at times. At least you have a decent ground and don't have to climb up scaffolding each week to get to your seat like some poor supporters do.


Thanks for your good wishes! Of course it is very difficult financially for clubs with low attendances and since our move from Edgeley Park to the AJ Bell, average attendances have fallen considerably. Various reasons for that, not least the poor accessability of the new stadium. However, a new access road across the Ship Canal, opened at the end of last season, has certainly improved matters and we would hope that this will encourage more to attend. The fan base in South Manchester is certainly there - it is simply a case of attracting them!

More importantly, the new owners (from 2 years ago) seem very committed to moving the club forward. They have tried to buy the ground from Salford City Council and, at the same time, are actively looking for a suitable site in South Manchester to build a completely new facility. We have to have faith in the owners' public pronouncements and, to be fair they have so far been very approachable and open with the fans. In the meantime, they have made money available to Dimes, and half a dozen high profile signings over the last couple of years is evidence of this. Signing the likes of Ashton will help to raise the profile of the club, as well as adding quality.

You are right however that with our small squad, injuries will leave us exposed. Hopefully we are in the process of alleviating that situation, particularly in the forwards as I mentioned previously. We had glimpses last season of what we might look forward to, particularly from the backs. With the addition of RJvR and Ashton, O'Connor at full fitness, Faf and AJ McGinty becoming a really threatening partnership added to the proven finishing quality of Solomona and Yarde, hopefully we can put serious points on one or two clubs. We shall see but, as you know only too well yourselves, it is great to be looking forward with optimism for a change!
Posts: 13
chris1850
Academy prospect

Re: Sale's backline

chris1850 05 Jul 2018 10:29 am said..

SirHenry wrote:9. Faf de Klerk Willie Heinz
10. AJ MacGinty Danny Cipriani
11. Solomona Tom Marshall
12. Van Rensburg Billy Twelvetrees
13. James O'Connor Henry Trinder
14. Yarde Matt Banahan
15. Chris Ashton. Jason Woodward

Bench

Cliff Velacott / Braley
? Williams / Burns
? Sharples/Thorley/Atkinson/Purdy/Hudson

In terms of starting lineup would we say Sale may edge it? I would select 2 of the Sale starting line up over Glaws and 1 definite in return the rest for me are 50/50

But what does the bench look like and how well will they cope after a couple of injuries/call ups?


Bench
9 - Cliff/Sturgess (Academy prospect with only a couple of 1st team appearances)
10 - Sam James/O'Connor both cover/Wilkinson (Academy prospect)
11/14 - McGuigan (Scotland International)/Odogwu (young but with several 1st team appearances)
15 - McGuigan/O'Connor
12/13 - Leota (Injured last season but highly experienced now fit)/Luke James (ex-Academy, regular starter at end of last season)/Jennings/Redpath (injured but highly regarded Academy player)

But you are right - lacking depth in a couple of positions certainly
Posts: 13
chris1850
Academy prospect

Re: Sale's backline

King Prawn Bhuna 05 Jul 2018 10:36 am said..

Crikey, you've got a lot of O'Connors in that squad :D
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
Posts: 4886  Location: Probably in the bar....
User avatar
King Prawn Bhuna
Moderator

Re: Sale's backline

chris1850 05 Jul 2018 11:32 am said..

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:Crikey, you've got a lot of O'Connors in that squad :D


He is very versatile - or at least he is since he joined us!
Posts: 13
chris1850
Academy prospect

Re: Sale's backline

ShedOrDead 05 Jul 2018 11:56 am said..

Welcome chris1850, it's always a pleasure reading the musings of fans of other clubs on this board and stave off the risk that ShedWeb become a C&W echo-chamber; not that it ever would with such a calm, rational and objective online citizenship, you understand.

I concur completely with your points re. Sale's SiD. It's been the Achiles Heal for a few seasons now but you've got through by being a tough, niggly, streetwise team making the most of Friday night home games in not-even-Manchester (insert crude cliche about a team laced with Steve Diamond's DNA here, should you wish, fnar-fnar). Conversly, I think it's been a while since you had a First XV of the quality you could put out this season and come the fixtures realeased tomorrow, I will look at the Sale games with more trepidation than most. I hope the Sale-Glaws AJBell fixture is in Sept - before the darkness/rain sets in and while you are still without Faf (probs at the Rugby Championship, bullying No.8s) and RJvR.

Early days, but what say you on your chances this season? What would count as 'success' in the league? Minimum top-6 I imagine... dare to dream top-4?
Posts: 152
ShedOrDead
Senior squad member

Re: Sale's backline

chris1850 05 Jul 2018 12:53 pm said..

ShedOrDead wrote:Welcome chris1850, it's always a pleasure reading the musings of fans of other clubs on this board and stave off the risk that ShedWeb become a C&W echo-chamber; not that it ever would with such a calm, rational and objective online citizenship, you understand.

I concur completely with your points re. Sale's SiD. It's been the Achiles Heal for a few seasons now but you've got through by being a tough, niggly, streetwise team making the most of Friday night home games in not-even-Manchester (insert crude cliche about a team laced with Steve Diamond's DNA here, should you wish, fnar-fnar). Conversly, I think it's been a while since you had a First XV of the quality you could put out this season and come the fixtures realeased tomorrow, I will look at the Sale games with more trepidation than most. I hope the Sale-Glaws AJBell fixture is in Sept - before the darkness/rain sets in and while you are still without Faf (probs at the Rugby Championship, bullying No.8s) and RJvR.

Early days, but what say you on your chances this season? What would count as 'success' in the league? Minimum top-6 I imagine... dare to dream top-4?


Thank you for your welcome. To answer the question in your last paragraph, I think you have probably hit the nail on the head. Falcons showed what can be achieved last season. We were very close to a top 6 finish as it was. A last match victory at home to Tigers would have secured it. We have a better side now than we had then, but so of course do a number of clubs, not least yourselves.

All we can do is wait and see and hope!
Posts: 13
chris1850
Academy prospect

Re: Sale's backline

Nobbler23 08 Jul 2018 08:05 am said..

Well one of them was on the Jet2 flight from Faro to Manchester yesterday, Byron McGuigan, I was surprised would have expected he would have been back in training.
Clearly neither Sale nor Scotland is over paying them, if Jet2 is his airline of choice, first time I have seen vinyl seats on a plane.
Posts: 87
Nobbler23
First team regular

Re: Sale's backline

Still Realistic 08 Jul 2018 08:19 am said..

Tuffty wrote:Sorry if I'm repeating anything but I've just been reading in the Times that Sale will be able to put out the following:

9. Faf de Klerk
10. AJ MacGinty
11. Solomona
12. Van Rensburg
13. James O'Connor
14. Yarde
15. Chris Ashton.

That's pretty tidy any way you look at it.


I wonder how many times next season that backline will start together?

Do we know if Ashton wants to continue the experiment at fullback?
Posts: 1666
Still Realistic
Hall of Famer
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Charlie, Google [Bot], Longwayhome, The Moog and 28 guests