The last Burns thread

Re: The last Burns thread

stuartjames 10 Jul 2018 15:11 pm said..

Just not yet another Saffa import !!

I'd have to agree with GM on this point !
stuartjames
Hero in the making

glawfindel 10 Jul 2018 15:22 pm said..

Can someone remind me how old was Burns Major when he became a first team regular?

I seem to think he was about the same age as Lloyd Evans is now. Yes, circumstances were different, as we had no Cipriani or Williams ahead of him, I guess, but if Mr Evans is still third choice only now the BB has gone, is he ready for the big time? I have no idea as I have not seen him play regularly

I suspect we will not be without Owen Williams during the Autumn or 6N as Gatland seems to have gone off on a different tack, so maybe it's not even an issue. In fact, who's to say we will even be without Mr Cipriani for either? (well, Eddie Jones obviously)
glawfindel
Hall of Famer

Still Realistic 10 Jul 2018 17:18 pm said..

Lloyd lost a lot of playing time last season with an injury which has probably set back his development slightly but he is highly regarded by many better judges of talent than your average SW dweller! Yes it is possible that his younger promise might not translate to the top level of the sport and while I understand GMs concern if he were to start a key first team game it is very difficult to gain experience without playing! Ackers has a good history of promoting youthful players if he thinks they are good enough and David Humphreys knows a bit about playing fly half as well. If they are happy to go with our current options at 10 then so be it as personally if there is now a squad vacancy my preference would probably be for someone else to play outside centre.

Once again good luck to Billy on his new club (&country!) choice. I will certainly follow his progress with interest.
Still Realistic
Hall of Famer

Jackal 10 Jul 2018 19:08 pm said..

I'm shocked to see Billy go in all fairness. I felt he lacked composure for a full game and I was worried about his size, but he always gave his all and last season I felt he finally started to make some progress to realise his potential. I wish him well at Ulster and with his future ambitions, but I do hope he hasn't been misled in terms of his opportunity by going over there.

Good luck Billy.
Gloucester born and bred
Jackal
Senior squad member

Old Duffer 11 Jul 2018 11:25 am said..

Billy always gave his all, I wish him all the best at Ulster.
Old Duffer
First team regular

TOBIAS 11 Jul 2018 11:36 am said..

Wish him well but was never convinced - maybe a chance of club/compettionis what he needed
TOBIAS
Hero in the making

Camel 11 Jul 2018 12:34 pm said..

I'm very disappointed that Billy's gone.

We've allocated huge resources into his development, taking him right through our academy to being a Prem standard fly half. I would've liked him to have learnt from Cipriani and developed into a better player from his arrival.

I have a feeling that Williams won't be in Gatland's plans for the RWC as he's not in Wales and is likely to be (at best) warming the bench for much of our season. On that basis, I don't think we'll see Evans in any important games. If we do get injuries, we've got cover in 36 and Atkinson (if the cupboard gets very bare).
"Remember that Rugby is team game; all 14 of you make sure that you pass the ball to Jonah"
Camel
Hall of Famer

Sheddy Mcshedface 11 Jul 2018 12:52 pm said..

Camel wrote:I'm very disappointed that Billy's gone.

We've allocated huge resources into his development, taking him right through our academy to being a Prem standard fly half. I would've liked him to have learnt from Cipriani and developed into a better player from his arrival.

I have a feeling that Williams won't be in Gatland's plans for the RWC as he's not in Wales and is likely to be (at best) warming the bench for much of our season. On that basis, I don't think we'll see Evans in any important games. If we do get injuries, we've got cover in 36 and Atkinson (if the cupboard gets very bare).

It's always disappointing when a home-grown player leaves but do we really think that not playing regularly, whilst Cipriani is 1st choice, for 2 years is really going to develop him as a player? If anything going to Ulster gives him a far greater chance of improving his game.

For what it's worth I like Billy and believe he always gave everything for the shirt but I could never quite see him stepping up to the level we want to be as a club ie; Top 4, regular champions cup rugby.

He is 24 now and if you compare him to where the top English fly-halfs were at his age (Farrell, Ford or even his brother) or players like Marcus Smith and Simmonds of Exeter are already at a much younger age then he is below all of them.

His intercept try against La Rochelle will always be well remembered in these parts. Good luck at Ulster.
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

Camel 11 Jul 2018 13:31 pm said..

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:

It's always disappointing when a home-grown player leaves but do we really think that not playing regularly, whilst Cipriani is 1st choice, for 2 years is really going to develop him as a player? If anything going to Ulster gives him a far greater chance of improving his game.

For what it's worth I like Billy and believe he always gave everything for the shirt but I could never quite see him stepping up to the level we want to be as a club ie; Top 4, regular champions cup rugby.

He is 24 now and if you compare him to where the top English fly-halfs were at his age (Farrell, Ford or even his brother) or players like Marcus Smith and Simmonds of Exeter are already at a much younger age then he is below all of them.

His intercept try against La Rochelle will always be well remembered in these parts. Good luck at Ulster.

All fair points Sheddy, can't disagree with any of that.

From what I hear, he pushed for the move rather than the club ushering him through the door.
"Remember that Rugby is team game; all 14 of you make sure that you pass the ball to Jonah"
Camel
Hall of Famer

Gb83 11 Jul 2018 13:37 pm said..

Camel wrote:
Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:

All fair points Sheddy, can't disagree with any of that.

From what I hear, he pushed for the move rather than the club ushering him through the door.

I’m surprised he didn’t stay and compete for a place, he either didn’t back himself or Ulster offered him a very nice deal compared to what he was on with us, I doubt he was a particularly high earner.

I think it does leave us a bit short should Cipriani or Williams get injured but I couldn’t see Burns developing much further so probably not a bad time to let him go.
Gb83
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby