The last Burns thread

Re: The last Burns thread

JamesK 12 Jul 2018 07:52 am said..

Stroud Wizard wrote:All the talking should be done on the pitch.

Interesting criticism on Page 9 of a thread about the man. Billy Burns has done far more talking on the pitch than the vast majority of Shedwebbers. Perhaps he won't fully reach the heights in the game that we hoped. Time will tell. However, I think its ludicrous to put the boot in when most of us can only dream about playing at the level he has already achieved.
JamesK
First team regular

King Prawn Bhuna 12 Jul 2018 07:57 am said..

I still have a great memory of the then very young Billy Burns on the first of our many outings to Zebre, the night of Mr Hibbard's birthday, what a night!....I'm sure he'll enjoy himself in Belfast, but take caution from the Paddy Jackson affair.
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

The Moog 12 Jul 2018 08:23 am said..

Well I wish Billy B all the best at his new Club. Maybe the run from everywhere didn't suit him, so move on and start afresh good luck to him!
The Moog
First team regular

Gb83 12 Jul 2018 09:15 am said..

JamesK wrote:
Stroud Wizard wrote:All the talking should be done on the pitch.

Interesting criticism on Page 9 of a thread about the man. Billy Burns has done far more talking on the pitch than the vast majority of Shedwebbers. Perhaps he won't fully reach the heights in the game that we hoped. Time will tell. However, I think its ludicrous to put the boot in when most of us can only dream about playing at the level he has already achieved.

I wish him well at Ulster. I do find it odd he didn’t want to fight for a place. I’ve never been convinced by his ability to manage a game but can’t question his commitment, he never sherked a tackle.
Gb83
Hero in the making

Peanutcoxy 12 Jul 2018 09:37 am said..

Firstly, a little perspective here. We are sadly losing one of our own to hopefully bigger and better things across the Irish Sea.
Secondly, to be the starting 10 for the last couple of years at one of the best professional rugby clubs in the country is something that every single one of us on here would do anything for.
He has decided to try a new adventure at a place with a completely different culture and ethos and perhaps even a few more quid. Very very few of us haven’t thought about doing that in our working lives.
Most importantly, he has given his all to this club so should be applauded and thanked for his efforts. Those of you jerks who seek to offer personally directed criticism at every opportunity, even when he has gone, should be ashamed of yourselves. I apologise if some of you are perfect in your workplace, the rest of us mortals are not. Thanks for everything Billy, Good luck with your ambitions and I wish you all the best fortune for the future.
Peanutcoxy
Hero in the making

GlawsyD 12 Jul 2018 11:33 am said..

Well, it's not just Billy spreading his wings, like his brother the Salisbury Plain 'Burns' are also affecting Farley House with a wind change. :D
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
GlawsyD
Hall of Famer

kentishglaws 12 Jul 2018 11:37 am said..

Good luck to Billy, hope he goes well over in Belfast, they're fortunate to have him. He's often divided opinion on here, but no one can deny his commitment or his character.

The interesting thing will now be whether we sign a centre with the aim of shifting OW to 10, or maybe we sign a 10 and keep Owen in the 12 role. SV in Jo'burg presumably bringing someone in.
kentishglaws
Vice-Captain

Sheddy Mcshedface 12 Jul 2018 11:51 am said..

kentishglaws wrote:Good luck to Billy, hope he goes well over in Belfast, they're fortunate to have him. He's often divided opinion on here, but no one can deny his commitment or his character.

The interesting thing will now be whether we sign a centre with the aim of shifting OW to 10, or maybe we sign a 10 and keep Owen in the 12 role. SV in Jo'burg presumably bringing someone in.

Before Billy left we were already saying we felt we may be a body light in the backs so another signing seems very probable. Given Cips and OW are our 2 fly-half options with 36 and Evans in support it would be a bit pointless signing an out and out number 10 and unlikely anyone worth signing would want to come. For me it should be another squad player who can play across the backs. Quade Cooper would be the biggest name available to fit that bill but can't imagine we were paying BB that much!

Maybe Baylion could tell us the next cab of the rank at the Lions?
Sheddy Mcshedface
On the board

Maxshedhead 12 Jul 2018 11:53 am said..

Peanutcoxy wrote:Firstly, a little perspective here. We are sadly losing one of our own to hopefully bigger and better things across the Irish Sea.
Secondly, to be the starting 10 for the last couple of years at one of the best professional rugby clubs in the country is something that every single one of us on here would do anything for.
He has decided to try a new adventure at a place with a completely different culture and ethos and perhaps even a few more quid. Very very few of us haven’t thought about doing that in our working lives.
Most importantly, he has given his all to this club so should be applauded and thanked for his efforts. Those of you jerks who seek to offer personally directed criticism at every opportunity, even when he has gone, should be ashamed of yourselves. I apologise if some of you are perfect in your workplace, the rest of us mortals are not. Thanks for everything Billy, Good luck with your ambitions and I wish you all the best fortune for the future.

Very well said, Sir
Maxshedhead
Senior squad member

glawfindel 12 Jul 2018 11:59 am said..

Maybe this belongs in the Rumours thread, but what if he's just taking a sabbatical to play first team rugby and would be back in 2 years when Cipriani 'retires' (or heads to France/Japan for the cash)?
glawfindel
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby