Glaws v Bristol OGT

Re: Glaws v Bristol OGT

Frazier 18 Sep 2018 07:57 am said..

Northerner wrote:I do get a bit disappointed when people show a little too much respect to Saracens and suggest we put a weakened team out. If we have aspirations to be in the top 4, then we have to start thinking like a top 4 team and stop treating teams like Saracens as if they are much better than us and that a loss is a foregone conclusion.

And even if we lose, getting a losing bonus point (or two!) out of games like these could be pivotal at the end of the season.


We have measure ourselves against the best. Unless you do that you'll never look to improve.
#WWG1WGA
Posts: 560  Location: If you can't speak freely then you're simply not free - Montagraph
Frazier
Hero in the making

Re: Glaws v Bristol OGT

King Prawn Bhuna 18 Sep 2018 09:21 am said..

Frazier wrote:
Northerner wrote:I do get a bit disappointed when people show a little too much respect to Saracens and suggest we put a weakened team out. If we have aspirations to be in the top 4, then we have to start thinking like a top 4 team and stop treating teams like Saracens as if they are much better than us and that a loss is a foregone conclusion.

And even if we lose, getting a losing bonus point (or two!) out of games like these could be pivotal at the end of the season.


We have measure ourselves against the best. Unless you do that you'll never look to improve.


+1

We have 3 matches to get into shape to take on Castres , the French champions. Two of those matches are away to Saracens and Wasps....not easy being in the Gloucester coaching set up.
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
Posts: 5583  Location: Probably in the bar....
User avatar
King Prawn Bhuna
Moderator

Re: Glaws v Bristol OGT

JamesK 18 Sep 2018 10:18 am said..

I can see both sides of the argument.

In a perfect world we'd have sufficient strength in depth in the squad that we could target every game equally.

In reality we need to rest some players to maintain their energy levels and let them recover from knocks. The Premiership is too intense for people to play at 100% every week. Some of those changes are going to weaken the side.

A point at Saracens is worth the same as a point at home to a weaker side but it is a lot harder to earn. The time to really target Saracens is in a play off game.
Posts: 181
JamesK
Senior squad member

Re: Glaws v Bristol OGT

mjad 18 Sep 2018 11:22 am said..

JamesK wrote:I can see both sides of the argument.

In a perfect world we'd have sufficient strength in depth in the squad that we could target every game equally.

In reality we need to rest some players to maintain their energy levels and let them recover from knocks. The Premiership is too intense for people to play at 100% every week. Some of those changes are going to weaken the side.

A point at Saracens is worth the same as a point at home to a weaker side but it is a lot harder to earn. The time to really target Saracens is in a play off game.


there will have to be squad rotation for the 28+ matches we have, but would like to see a competitive team in all games. I think there will be a couple of changes for Sarries away, but, I can't see JA just throwing a match
Regards
Michael
Posts: 647  Location: Swindon
mjad
Hero in the making

Re: Glaws v Bristol OGT

JamesK 18 Sep 2018 11:27 am said..

I don't think any one was suggesting that JA would throw a match.
Posts: 181
JamesK
Senior squad member

Re: Glaws v Bristol OGT

Legendoft'Autostrada 18 Sep 2018 11:30 am said..

Nigel Davies effectively conceded the Heineken Cup match in Munster with his team selection (a bloke at outside half who'd never played for Glos before and never played again, for example!). It was the beginning of his downfall as several senior players were pretty annoyed.

I doubt very much whether we'll see anything like that happening under the current regime.
Posts: 1054
Legendoft'Autostrada
Leg-end

Re: Glaws v Bristol OGT

dwilly 18 Sep 2018 12:25 pm said..

Despite that Legend, were we not close to winning that game? I do take your point however, don't expect any such tricks from the current bosses
Posts: 135
dwilly
Senior squad member

Re: Glaws v Bristol OGT

Legendoft'Autostrada 18 Sep 2018 13:21 pm said..

dwilly wrote:Despite that Legend, were we not close to winning that game? I do take your point however, don't expect any such tricks from the current bosses


Not really, Dwilly. As the BBC says, put up a brave fight for an hour.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/24585411
Posts: 1054
Legendoft'Autostrada
Leg-end

Re: Glaws v Bristol OGT

David 18 Sep 2018 13:37 pm said..

What a lot of codswallop. We've beaten Saracens many times before, and we'll beat them this time, on our way to winning the title this year.
Believe...
:roll: :D
Posts: 893
David
On the board

Re: Glaws v Bristol OGT

Castle Grim Reaper 18 Sep 2018 13:48 pm said..

Legendoft'Autostrada wrote:
dwilly wrote:Despite that Legend, were we not close to winning that game? I do take your point however, don't expect any such tricks from the current bosses


Not really, Dwilly. As the BBC says, put up a brave fight for an hour.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/24585411

In fairness, they did have sixteen men :oops:
Munster: Jones; Earls, Laulala, Downey, J Murphy; Keatley, Murray; Kilcoyne, Varley, Botha, D O'Callaghan, O'Connell, D Ryan, Ronan, P O'Mahony, Hurley.
Posts: 2605  Location: Hell
User avatar
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], Phil, Sid and 7 guests