Pre Game atmosphere

Re: Pre Game atmosphere

westglos 17 Sep 2018 23:13 pm said..

1. The music is too loud. I don't mind music (The stuff they are playing now is a much better variety than the singular soul diet we suffered last season). But I want to be able to have a conversation with my neighbours, without having to shout over the music.
2. We have to have the opposition's names read out. It's really disrespectful not to do that.
3. We have to have someone reading out the two teams who can pronounce their names properly. It sounded like Warren Moore reading out the names. Andy Wyman, who has a far wider understanding of the sport and the players, should surely be reading out the teams.
4. Leave the "entertainment" stuff to Mr Moore. He could always wear the mascot's costume....
Posts: 27
westglos
Turns out for the A team

Re: Pre Game atmosphere

Still Realistic 18 Sep 2018 06:03 am said..

covglaws wrote:I notice that no one has come on here and said that the cheering and lions roar is a good idea and enhanced their experience no end. :twisted:


But the average Shedwebber (whoever that is! ;) ) is not who the current changes are aimed at. The aim has got to be to fill the ground to capacity for every game and for that you need new fans and tose who turn up occasionally to turn up more often. Personally I think a winning team is the best way of achieving this (along with cheaper prices!!!) but if a cuddly lion and muzak bring in more families then so be it
Posts: 1742
Still Realistic
Hall of Famer

Re: Pre Game atmosphere

Harrison26 18 Sep 2018 06:53 am said..

I don’t know if anybody else noticed, and I assume this is what it is, but there appears to be a lag time of around 3-5 seconds on the announcements by Wyman. I say this because when he announces the opposition, and us, coming on to the field, 30-50% of the respective team are already on the pitch by the time it’s coming through the speaker! I noticed it at the Saints game, but felt it was even more obvious on Friday. Some techno-geeks maybe able to advise on this, but when the entertainment chap is doing the cross bar challenge, there is no lag as I can see his lips move as the sound comes through the speaker
Posts: 50
Harrison26
First team regular

Re: Pre Game atmosphere

King Prawn Bhuna 18 Sep 2018 07:18 am said..

Don't really worry about the match day experience, you could have Daisy Duke pole dancing and most wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

What did strike me was that there were huge spaces in the cheap seats whilst the West Terrace was sold out in advance. I still think the rock up on the day ticket prices are far far too high....somebody said it was £45 on the day in the Shed for the match on Saturday.

Ridiculous for the occasional supporter, who no longer thinks 'it's a nice day lets pop down to Kingsholm with the kids'
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
Posts: 5310  Location: Probably in the bar....
User avatar
King Prawn Bhuna
Moderator

Re: Pre Game atmosphere

GlawsyD 18 Sep 2018 08:12 am said..

Sadly, KPB, I think you will find that Daisy's ability to pole dance has been affected by 2 x marriages, 2 x kids and more than 2 x lbs weight gain! ;)
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
Posts: 2355  Location: Moonraker Capital
GlawsyD
Hall of Famer

Re: Pre Game atmosphere

Fat Taff 18 Sep 2018 08:41 am said..

Still Realistic wrote:
covglaws wrote:I notice that no one has come on here and said that the cheering and lions roar is a good idea and enhanced their experience no end. :twisted:


But the average Shedwebber (whoever that is! ;) ) is not who the current changes are aimed at. The aim has got to be to fill the ground to capacity for every game and for that you need new fans and tose who turn up occasionally to turn up more often. Personally I think a winning team is the best way of achieving this (along with cheaper prices!!!) but if a cuddly lion and muzak bring in more families then so be it



I think you're right with this. The average Shebweb user would appear to be ( and I include myself in this, apologies for any offence!) a curmudgeonly, middle aged/older bloke with a fairly 'traditional' outlook on the game.
The club needs to attract in more numbers, and that's going to need to come from groups that perhaps wouldn't ordinarily go to a rugby match, and we've got to accept the steps that the marketing bods deem the right way to go about that.
I don't like 'razmatazz' around sport, but see it has it's place, so always choose to amble in shortly before kick off, always have done that anyway.
Posts: 3450
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

Re: Pre Game atmosphere

lucifer 18 Sep 2018 09:10 am said..

We’re obviously trying to increase attendance - as are the other sides - however the loud music, DJ, mascot path might not be the presumed panacea. I’ve questioned on here before whether there’s actually any evidence to support a link between the supposed ‘attraction’ and attendance increase and no-ones yet identified any. A quick look at the weekends attendances of the other clubs with loads of noise reveals rather poor numbers; Exeter just over 9,000, Quins 12,800, Saints with Sara’s the visitors only 12,300, Wuss 5,600. Even the ‘derby’ at Cov between Wasps and Tigers only got somewhere in the 18,000 - well short of its 32,000 capacity. Relatively quiet Glos gets 14,200 on a difficult to get to Friday night. Maybe it’s us who are doing something right, however I would agree with KPB that the turn up price of £45 must be a turn off and maybe the game needs to re-look at its pricing structure and not assume that turning the ground into a disco will attract more spectators. Also consider whether by alienating its traditional support this policy may have the opposite effect.
Posts: 755
lucifer
On the board

Re: Pre Game atmosphere

King Prawn Bhuna 18 Sep 2018 09:14 am said..

GlawsyD wrote:Sadly, KPB, I think you will find that Daisy's ability to pole dance has been affected by 2 x marriages, 2 x kids and more than 2 x lbs weight gain! ;)


I didn't realise I had so much in common with her...
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
Posts: 5310  Location: Probably in the bar....
User avatar
King Prawn Bhuna
Moderator

Re: Pre Game atmosphere

stevieb 18 Sep 2018 10:08 am said..

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:
What did strike me was that there were huge spaces in the cheap seats whilst the West Terrace was sold out in advance. I still think the rock up on the day ticket prices are far far too high....somebody said it was £45 on the day in the Shed for the match on Saturday.

Ridiculous for the occasional supporter, who no longer thinks 'it's a nice day lets pop down to Kingsholm with the kids'


Quite agree KPB. An imagined conversation in the pub to a casual sportsfan: "fancy coming to watch a Gloucester game?" "hmm, maybe, I quite like rugby ... " "There's loud music and a mascot." "Right ... and what will it cost me?" "Only £45. To stand. On a concrete step." "Whose round is it?"
Posts: 857
stevieb
On the board

Re: Pre Game atmosphere

Castle Grim Reaper 18 Sep 2018 10:11 am said..

lucifer wrote:We’re obviously trying to increase attendance - as are the other sides - however the loud music, DJ, mascot path might not be the presumed panacea. I’ve questioned on here before whether there’s actually any evidence to support a link between the supposed ‘attraction’ and attendance increase and no-ones yet identified any. A quick look at the weekends attendances of the other clubs with loads of noise reveals rather poor numbers; Exeter just over 9,000, Quins 12,800, Saints with Sara’s the visitors only 12,300, Wuss 5,600. Even the ‘derby’ at Cov between Wasps and Tigers only got somewhere in the 18,000 - well short of its 32,000 capacity. Relatively quiet Glos gets 14,200 on a difficult to get to Friday night. Maybe it’s us who are doing something right, however I would agree with KPB that the turn up price of £45 must be a turn off and maybe the game needs to re-look at its pricing structure and not assume that turning the ground into a disco will attract more spectators. Also consider whether by alienating its traditional support this policy may have the opposite effect.

From what you say, we could logically turn the music up a bit, stick another fiver on the ticket price and just lose just enough supporters to reduce our gates down to the level of other clubs. :?
Posts: 2543  Location: Hell
User avatar
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Glaws, Google [Bot], grunter, Jake.Jester10, lucifer, Oakwood, Opportunist, Peanutcoxy, Porky, steckers, Sussexjim, Tuffty, Vanman and 55 guests