Harsh Ban?

Harsh Ban?

PeteG 19 Sep 2018 21:23 pm said..

I know its not a Glos issue, yet.

But I feel maybe Leicester's Spencer 4 week ban was a bit tough, in all probability I will be told to go to specsavers but the tackle on Taylor from Wasps looked to me to be pretty fair.

Spencer 6` 7" is committed into tackling Taylor, Taylor sees this & gets in a quick offload whilst turning shoulder on to spencer and also buckling from the knees. Spencer arrives at shoulder height (not head) collision results. TMO gets precious.

My concern is with the committed tackling from the likes of Luds, Polledri etc we are going to have to suffer our players getting weeks of bans due to literal interpretation of the new guidance from World Rugby. I fully understand the need to review/regulate regarding protecting players, but latitude when citing occurs appears to be minimal.

Views appreciated on the best approach to this issue
PeteG
First team regular

Re: Harsh Ban?

Beddis 19 Sep 2018 21:33 pm said..

Have a look at the other games thread Pete, there’s a fair bit of debate there.

Interestingly and astonishingly, Basteraud only got a five week ban for his assault on a prone player.

This really makes a mockery of the whole process and I would hope World Rugby increase that ban significantly
Posts: 3611  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis

PeteG 19 Sep 2018 21:41 pm said..

Beddis wrote:Have a look at the other games thread Pete, there’s a fair bit of debate there.

Interestingly and astonishingly, Basteraud only got a five week ban for his assault on a prone player.

This really makes a mockery of the whole process and I would hope World Rugby increase that ban significantly

You are spot on regarding Bastreraud, it makes you wonder how subjective/objective the punishment really is at times, regarding whose name is involved.
PeteG
First team regular

Porky 20 Sep 2018 06:19 am said..

Pete, Indulge yourself by reading the "Other games" thread where all the arguments about the Spencer tackle are rehashed endlessly.

The Basteraud ban is very low but would have been higher had he not pleaded guilty and shown remorse, neither of which Spencer did. Like Beddis, I hope the higher authorities do something to make the sanction on Mathieu rather more meaningful.
Time you enjoy wasting is never wasted.
Porky
On the board

Fat Taff 20 Sep 2018 07:11 am said..

Pete, I disagree with your analysis and conclusions. And, would add that no player has anything to worry about with the application of the correct technique to suit the laws

As said above, all the boring details are in the other thread!
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

Severus 20 Sep 2018 07:27 am said..

I agreed with Tempest that Spencer should have seen red but a 4 week ban has now caused this contentious issue to become a farce. The standard one week ban would've sufficed for a player who does not have a history of foul play.

This is even more ludicrous when you compare it to the 5 week ban that Basteraud was given for an assault on a prone player on a rugby field. He should've got 6 months at least.
Severus
On the board

ROLLO 20 Sep 2018 11:04 am said..

Or the no game ban for Bristol's George Smith. Did I read that three of the panel had past connexions with Bristol ?
ROLLO
On the board

Nuts 20 Sep 2018 11:09 am said..

The upside of the no Smith ban was that he got on the wrong side of the ref (& the ruck) for most of the second half last Fri and gave us a couple of cheap penalties.
Nuts
Vice-Captain

Gloucester Mute 20 Sep 2018 12:06 pm said..

If Spencer/Tigers had seen and admitted the error of his act ie; pleaded guilty the ban would have been lower.

I do not think too harsh at all.

I thought Smith decision was soft until I read the very intricate Judgement from the Panel based on rugby actions.

I really do urge SW readers to read the Disciplinary Judgements. They fully explain things from a rugby perspective and it is normally very hard to disagree with their reasoning.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 1207  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Porky 20 Sep 2018 15:08 pm said..

I find myself in full agreement with GM on this.
Time you enjoy wasting is never wasted.
Porky
On the board
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby