It's the law free zone

It's the law free zone

Castle Grim Reaper 20 Oct 2018 14:33 pm said..

OK, how about a thread where you cannot state it's the law and instead have to discuss the facts.

I hoped to watch a rugby match this afternoon but instead got a lesson in stupid refereeing, I didn't subscribe to BT or buy a season ticket for this.

Any contact with the head is about as stupid as the rule in football where brushing heads is an automatic red card for headbutting. Cipriani was never going to cause a head injury, the guy tackling Morgan could easily have broken his neck.

If the game is going to be completely intolerant of head contact of any type, could BT please stop showing adverts for boxing matches at half time, Anthony Yarde should get a lot of red cards.
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer

Re: It's the law free zone

The Vic 20 Oct 2018 14:39 pm said..

My interest in European rugby is beginning to wane. The officiating is ridiculously inconsistent, which makes it for dull viewing. I may well stop my viewing as my blood pressure can't cope with it
The Vic
Hall of Famer

Fat Taff 20 Oct 2018 14:42 pm said..

https://sportsscientists.com/other-sports/rugby/

This is a good starting point, makes a lot of sense. The law makers need to take from the science and adapt the laws. The big problem being that the officials need to apply them in exactly the same way, with no variations. Then the citing has to be consistent, and then the suspensions need to be consistent.

They're all way off from where they need to be.
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

Still Realistic 20 Oct 2018 14:49 pm said..

I actually have some sympathy for the refs! They appear to be being left to their own devices. Can anyone tell be what their overarching European hierarchy are doing to improve consistency?
Still Realistic
Hall of Famer

The Vic 20 Oct 2018 16:24 pm said..

After the officiating of the last two European games I am now pro Brexit!
The Vic
Hall of Famer

Fat Taff 20 Oct 2018 17:25 pm said..

Good discussion going on between Ross Tucker and Shanks on twitter at the moment
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

ali 20 Oct 2018 19:42 pm said..

Fat Taff wrote:https://sportsscientists.com/other-sports/rugby/

This is a good starting point, makes a lot of sense. The law makers need to take from the science and adapt the laws. The big problem being that the officials need to apply them in exactly the same way, with no variations. Then the citing has to be consistent, and then the suspensions need to be consistent.

They're all way off from where they need to be.

Consistency - absolutely, there appears to be a clear grading of red today. The Castres 8 looked significantly worse than Cipriani to me.
ali
Senior squad member

Richy 20 Oct 2018 21:05 pm said..

The ref absolutely killed the game. He showed a yellow then a red in situations that were completely non-dangerous. He was looking to give decisions to Munster all day long. Fans of both sides were robbed of a potentially great game. The ref made it boring. I’d honestly feel the same way if I’d wanted Munster to win. It was a non-game in the end.
Richy
Turns out for the A team

Gloucester Mute 21 Oct 2018 12:48 pm said..

Maybe take up following cage-fighting ??

I thought it was a very watchable game. Obviously disappointing that it was 14 v 15 for 55 minutes BUT that was because one player broke a clear Law and got sent off. Unsure why that is the refs fault. Maybe he should ignore Laws in the name of entertainment ?? And blow the safety of the players.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 1196  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

CMGC 21 Oct 2018 13:43 pm said..

GM - you know what the debate is ;)
Cips stood his ground and the players dived into his upper arm. Fine to card him if that is the letter fo the law and how it is to be ruled upon. However you then must do the same for the other offences from both teams. That is the debate we are having.
For me it was not a shoulder to the head but the upper arm that made head contact and secondly it was at worst debateable whether Cips actually tackled him rather than VVR. FWIW I thought 36's challenge much worse "according to the letter of the law".
CMGC
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby