It's the law free zone

Re: It's the law free zone

CMGC 22 Oct 2018 09:05 am said..

Or to turn it around will attack coaches now encourage players to duck as they attack in the full knowledge that defenders will find it very hard to tackle without risking a head contact. ( i.e potential red card) If you bend as is recomended you can't get tot he body as you have a bent/ ducked torso flying at you. All this is surely going to lead to more injuries.
It is a difficult problem that has no easy answer unless you allow some discression. Surely you can tell when a player " leads" with a hard shoulder". We have seen those and the Cips one was most definitely not one. The former rule was about use of the arms and seemed sensible but clearly doesn't work if someone runs into you.
Posts: 3714  Location: In the sticks
CMGC
Moderator

Re: It's the law free zone

CMGC 22 Oct 2018 09:13 am said..

To answer GM - I don't think anyone is suggesting the Munster player did anything intentionally. Also if DC was/ is a fault then so beit but you must then also sanction the 4-5 other instances of head to shoulder contacts in the same game. ?I have no problem with a firm line if that is what is desired but it must be properly managed and supported by refs. The impact of the red card sanction is a game changer and thus must be administered fairly.
Posts: 3714  Location: In the sticks
CMGC
Moderator

Re: It's the law free zone

Gloucester Mute 22 Oct 2018 09:59 am said..

Some have tried saying it was Scammell at fault/DC innocent etc; !!

I agree that as much consistency as possible is needed from game to game. This is difficult and game v game even more so. Maybe the SW warriors will learn this once they have enrolled on refereeing courses !! ;)

I am very happy to await the CO's review/report + the Panels' sanction for DC. Hopefully this will even out the perceived lack of consistency from the game.

Hopefully DC will now learn how to tackle low...……..
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 1196  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Re: It's the law free zone

Glen Sannox 22 Oct 2018 10:11 am said..

If the DC red is valid, and under the flawed current interpretation it probably was, then the Citing Officer may well be worryingly busy - DC may well be the least of our worries!
Cherchez la truffe
Posts: 1884
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

Re: It's the law free zone

Fat Taff 22 Oct 2018 11:23 am said..

Glen Sannox wrote:If the DC red is valid, and under the flawed current interpretation it probably was, then the Citing Officer may well be worryingly busy - DC may well be the least of our worries!


Bang on, there should be a fair few from our game if there's consistency. Twelvetrees and O'Mahony for contact with the head, and if Lozowski got two weeks for entering a ruck dangerously, then the Munster player who 'cleared out' a Gloucester defender who wasn't part of the ruck should be looking at the same. There's probably more.
Posts: 3648
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

Re: It's the law free zone

glawfindel 22 Oct 2018 11:35 am said..

Given the grace and rapidity with which Mr Cipriani accepted his red card, I think we can assume he knew he had offended.

Like many others, I have to say it looked to me like the Munster player fell into him as a result of the other tackler, but I wasn't there, he was.
Posts: 1345  Location: Washington, DC
glawfindel
Hall of Famer

Re: It's the law free zone

foresterinyorks 22 Oct 2018 11:40 am said..

So when do we here the outcome of all this?
Never Stay Down.
Posts: 1396  Location: North Yorkshire
foresterinyorks
Hall of Famer

Re: It's the law free zone

Sheddy Mcshedface 22 Oct 2018 13:04 pm said..

glawfindel wrote:Given the grace and rapidity with which Mr Cipriani accepted his red card, I think we can assume he knew he had offended.

Like many others, I have to say it looked to me like the Munster player fell into him as a result of the other tackler, but I wasn't there, he was.


or he knew that whether the ref was right or wrong he had to take it on the chin because he is, as pre-season showed, under the microscope!
Posts: 1197
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

Re: It's the law free zone

London Shed Head 22 Oct 2018 13:08 pm said..

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:
glawfindel wrote:Given the grace and rapidity with which Mr Cipriani accepted his red card, I think we can assume he knew he had offended.

Like many others, I have to say it looked to me like the Munster player fell into him as a result of the other tackler, but I wasn't there, he was.


or he knew that whether the ref was right or wrong he had to take it on the chin because he is, as pre-season showed, under the microscope!


Sheddy, that's my view too. I think he is now trying extra hard to do the right things and knew that although he must have been raging inside he was best to take his medicine. It was classy to inquire of the opponent on the way off the field, really like that.
Posts: 606
London Shed Head
Hero in the making

Re: It's the law free zone

Russglos 22 Oct 2018 13:12 pm said..

London Shed Head wrote:
Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:
glawfindel wrote:Given the grace and rapidity with which Mr Cipriani accepted his red card, I think we can assume he knew he had offended.

Like many others, I have to say it looked to me like the Munster player fell into him as a result of the other tackler, but I wasn't there, he was.


or he knew that whether the ref was right or wrong he had to take it on the chin because he is, as pre-season showed, under the microscope!


Sheddy, that's my view too. I think he is now trying extra hard to do the right things and knew that although he must have been raging inside he was best to take his medicine. It was classy to inquire of the opponent on the way off the field, really like that.

+1
Posts: 344
Russglos
Vice-Captain
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Captain Jolly, coleser, Davers, Google [Bot], John O, Ken Burney, King Prawn Bhuna, Lewi7, Original Tetley, RogerofSals, Rolfem, steckers, Tetbury Calling, Tortworth and 29 guests