Year Round Rugby!!

Year Round Rugby!!

Diamo 23 Oct 2018 07:25 am said..

Apparently a new season structure to be announced today with the season extending into June, international tours in July, mandatory breaks for players and the next season to continue to start in September!! https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/oct/22/england-rugby-union-season-summer

Part of the spectacle for me is the varied weather conditions and packs going hammer and nails at each other in the rain! I don't want to watch games that are all the same. If this really goes through, I can't see it helping the England team compete with the SH nations, and sadly I see it as just another nail in the coffin of the game of rugby that I love.
Posts: 725  Location: Munich mostly and sometimes the sprawling metropolis of Stroud
Diamo
Hero in the making

Re: Year Round Rugby!!

GlawsyD 23 Oct 2018 08:16 am said..

Wow! - 2 one-week mid season compulsory breaks for players in a 4 week increased season - like that's going to make a big difference to player welfare. Hey, guys, we'll only do light training in your week off, just so you don't lose your edge before the next big game.
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
GlawsyD
Hall of Famer

Glossince86 23 Oct 2018 08:51 am said..

Ludacrous. I don't normally agree with strikes but really hope the players follow through and go on strike. It's the only way things will change for the better in terms of player wellfare...
Glossince86
On the board

CMGC 23 Oct 2018 09:00 am said..

This is a classic problem that comes from trying to integrate two differing playing formats. The SH play far fewer games in a more spread out season. In the UK the season is long and very intense and played in worse conditions. Players just can't be flogged that much to suit the whims of a suit who is trying to integrate two differing systems. Players need a 2 - 3 month layoff for all sorts of reasons we have covered. I hope the players union step in and say no, as this is far worse for the long term health of ALL pro players than any of the injury stuff that is going on just now.
CMGC

Gloucester Mute 23 Oct 2018 09:16 am said..

From what I have read the player's Union, the RPA, have been involved in the talks from Day 1 - and are happy with the proposals.

The (relatively few) players involved in July tours will not be allowed to start the GP season until they have had their compulsory rest breaks.

Also need to bear in mind the GPC provides rest-breaks.

I'll wait until I see the official announcement and details before knee-jerk moaning based on a vague article in the Guardian !!
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 1196  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 23 Oct 2018 09:16 am said..

From what I have read the player's Union, the RPA, have been involved in the talks from Day 1 - and are happy with the proposals.

The (relatively few) players involved in July tours will not be allowed to start the GP season until they have had their compulsory rest breaks.

Also need to bear in mind the GPC provides rest-breaks.

I'll wait until I see the official announcement and details before knee-jerk moaning based on a vague article in the Guardian !!
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 1196  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

CMGC 23 Oct 2018 09:36 am said..

Nothing knee jerk at all. This has been coming, as we know, for about a year now. I gather the artcle has it about right and that the RPA are not getting what they want. We'll see what transpires but it seems quite a few players are already unhappy at the current workload even before these new measures come in. If you have a system like NZ, Ire and others it will be fine as there is lots of rest but not so in the mainland game.
CMGC

Il Tellem 23 Oct 2018 10:00 am said..

GlawsyD wrote:Wow! - 2 one-week mid season compulsory breaks for players in a 4 week increased season - like that's going to make a big difference to player welfare. Hey, guys, we'll only do light training in your week off, just so you don't lose your edge before the next big game.

Its already happening, just watch team selections over the next 3 weeks.
Il Tellem
Turns out for the A team

King Prawn Bhuna 23 Oct 2018 10:13 am said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:From what I have read the player's Union, the RPA, have been involved in the talks from Day 1 - and are happy with the proposals.

Have their opinions changed then? Damian Hopley and the England captain didn't seem to share that opinion 12 months ago

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12331/11067139/rpa-chief-damian-hopley-says-rugby-players-could-go-on-strike
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

Fat Taff 23 Oct 2018 10:18 am said..

Il Tellem wrote:
GlawsyD wrote:Wow! - 2 one-week mid season compulsory breaks for players in a 4 week increased season - like that's going to make a big difference to player welfare. Hey, guys, we'll only do light training in your week off, just so you don't lose your edge before the next big game.

Its already happening, just watch team selections over the next 3 weeks.

It will be interesting yo see the full details given the current concerns about player welfare.

The rugby pod have spoken about the cup weeks being seen as time off for the first team squad, with many players having proper down time. Sopoago is already tweeting from his family break in Majorca, and I'm sure many will be doing the same.
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby