POLL: Sanction for Pennell

What sanction should have been on Pennell for his challenge on Charlie?

Play On
2%
Penalty Only
3%
Yellow Card
55%
Red Card
39%

Total votes : 165

POLL: Sanction for Pennell

Camel 01 Dec 2018 20:43 pm said..

I’m interested to see the general consensus.

For me, it was a yellow, but could easily have been red and I wouldn’t disagree with the refs decision either way.

1 vote each, but you can change your mind if your opinion changes.
"Remember that Rugby is team game; all 14 of you make sure that you pass the ball to Jonah"
Camel
Hall of Famer

Re: POLL: Sanction for Pennell

Gb83 01 Dec 2018 20:46 pm said..

Camel wrote:I’m interested to see the general consensus.

For me, it was a yellow, but could easily have been red and I wouldn’t disagree with the refs decision either way.

1 vote each, but you can change your mind if your opinion changes.

My understanding of the laws is that yellow was correct but personally I think it was reckless, extremely dangerous and warranted a red.
Gb83
Hall of Famer

Hucclecote Glaws 01 Dec 2018 21:00 pm said..

Based on the directives the referees have been given, a yellow card was correct. If player welfare is a priority though, reckless play like that should be a red card, regardless of how the player lands.
"In my experience, eloquent men are right every bit as often as imbeciles."

Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones
Hucclecote Glaws
Hall of Famer

King Prawn Bhuna 01 Dec 2018 21:19 pm said..

GB83 and Hucclecote Glaws...can you point me to the law or directive in which you base this?...I'm struggling to find anything.
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

Camel 01 Dec 2018 21:23 pm said..

With regards to the outcome, if Sharples had done a full 360 and landed on his feet, run in and scored, would the sanction have changed?

I guess my point is, the outcome is important. The outcome of his reckless challenge was Charlie landed on his side. If it’d been head or neck, then definitely ir should’ve been a red.
"Remember that Rugby is team game; all 14 of you make sure that you pass the ball to Jonah"
Camel
Hall of Famer

King Prawn Bhuna 01 Dec 2018 21:30 pm said..

Sorry this is a chicken and egg situation. So you can be as wreckless as you like and it's 50/50 whether you ruin a guy's career or not...bolleaux!

You can bring him down safely...I'll buy that...but it was sheer fluke the way he landed.

Again show me the law or directive that defends this argument and I'll change my opinion on the call from the officials.
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

Old Duffer 01 Dec 2018 21:31 pm said..

My problem with the *outcome* based decision making is that the outcome is, in many cases, independent of the action. In other words Penall was highly reckless and committed an offence, whether Charlie landed on his head or his feet had nothing to do with Penall. I think Penall, and particularly Charlie, just got lucky
Old Duffer
First team regular

Asgard 01 Dec 2018 21:42 pm said..

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:Sorry this is a chicken and egg situation. So you can be as wreckless as you like and it's 50/50 whether you ruin a guy's career or not...bolleaux!

You can bring him down safely...I'll buy that...but it was sheer fluke the way he landed.

Again show me the law or directive that defends this argument and I'll change my opinion on the call from the officials.

Here you are KPB -
"At a meeting in April 2015, the Laws Representation Group (LRG) considered the areas of the Game where, it had been agreed that Law amendments were not required but that current Law was to be enforced by match officials including:
Challenging players in the air - Law 10.4(i)
The options given were:
Play on – Fair challenge with both players in a realistic position to catch the ball. Even if the player(s) land(s) dangerously, play on
Penalty only – Fair challenge with wrong timing - No pulling down
Yellow card – Not a fair challenge, there is no contest and the player is pulled down landing on his back or side
Red card – Not a fair challenge, there is no contest and the player lands on his head, neck or shoulder"
Asgard
Hall of Famer

Camel 01 Dec 2018 21:58 pm said..

Asgard wrote:
King Prawn Bhuna wrote:Sorry this is a chicken and egg situation. So you can be as wreckless as you like and it's 50/50 whether you ruin a guy's career or not...bolleaux!

Here you are KPB -
"At a meeting in April 2015, the Laws Representation Group (LRG) considered the areas of the Game where, it had been agreed that Law amendments were not required but that current Law was to be enforced by match officials including:
Challenging players in the air - Law 10.4(i)
The options given were:
Play on – Fair challenge with both players in a realistic position to catch the ball. Even if the player(s) land(s) dangerously, play on
Penalty only – Fair challenge with wrong timing - No pulling down
Yellow card – Not a fair challenge, there is no contest and the player is pulled down landing on his back or side
Red card – Not a fair challenge, there is no contest and the player lands on his head, neck or shoulder"

Does that change your opinion KPB?
Camel
Hall of Famer

Camel 01 Dec 2018 22:01 pm said..

Old Duffer wrote:My problem with the *outcome* based decision making is that the outcome is, in many cases, independent of the action. In other words Penall was highly reckless and committed an offence, whether Charlie landed on his head or his feet had nothing to do with Penall. I think Penall, and particularly Charlie, just got lucky

I disagree. The outcome is, in almost all cases, a consequence of the action. If Pennell had lifted his arms higher and tipped Charlie’s legs into the air for example, his landing would’ve been different (and in all probability, been much worse).
Camel
Hall of Famer
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby