POLL: Sanction for Pennell

What sanction should have been on Pennell for his challenge on Charlie?

Play On
2%
Penalty Only
3%
Yellow Card
55%
Red Card
39%

Total votes : 165

Re: POLL: Sanction for Pennell

Glen Sannox 07 Dec 2018 10:23 am said..

As I thought, Pennell was cited on the basis that the yellow should have been red, and was found guilty. Don't really agree with it being red, but it was just one of those very marginal calls.

Full judgment will shortly be on the RFU site.
Cherchez la truffe
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

JamesK 07 Dec 2018 10:40 am said..

The BBC disagree. They say that Pennell pleaded guilty rather than was found guilty.

If correct, I think this raises questions about the disciplinary procedures. The guilty plea was presumably to avoid the risk of a longer ban. The reduction in ban makes sense when it is unclear what exactly has occurred and the players' honesty has speeded up procedures. However, in this case the seriousness of the incident came down to a technicality. Pennell should have been able to let the panel decide whether it was a yellow or red card offense without risking an effective increase in ban for not pleading guilty.
JamesK
Senior squad member

Glen Sannox 07 Dec 2018 11:02 am said..

You're correct - he pleaded guilty to the red card offence. Presumably that's because he was advised that he would be found guilty and it would be better to take his punishment. I've never been comfortable with that way of doing things, but it happens in the courts so I suppose rugby's no different.
Cherchez la truffe
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

JamesK 07 Dec 2018 11:32 am said..

Indeed, in the courts this is much more disturbing - it's pressure to plead guilty to something you didn't do to remove the risk of a serious sentence.
JamesK
Senior squad member

upton dc 07 Dec 2018 19:57 pm said..

So the panel finding the offence worthy of a red card and not a yellow contradicts all the advice I have read here on this forum from those who claim or seem to be well educated in the laws of the game. Oh, and also contrary to the decision made by the referee and his assistants on the day. So those who voted above, do you now wish to review or even change your vote? If only Brexit were that easy. :D
Panache et Precision
upton dc
On the board

Glen Sannox 08 Dec 2018 06:27 am said..

It could have been yellow or red...on the day the ref' saw it one way and his logic seemed fine to me...the panel saw it differently...fine margins

No, I'd still vote yellow
Cherchez la truffe
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

Camel 08 Dec 2018 09:21 am said..

upton dc wrote:So the panel finding the offence worthy of a red card and not a yellow contradicts all the advice I have read here on this forum from those who claim or seem to be well educated in the laws of the game. Oh, and also contrary to the decision made by the referee and his assistants on the day. So those who voted above, do you now wish to review or even change your vote? If only Brexit were that easy. :D

I’m intrigued by the decision to ban him. He pleaded guilty which perhaps impacted on their decision. However, given law 10.4(i) - as listed by Asgard on the opening page - it’s a clear yellow card. I’ll read the judgement when it’s released.
"Remember that Rugby is team game; all 14 of you make sure that you pass the ball to Jonah"
Camel
Hall of Famer

jeppy89 09 Dec 2018 09:50 am said..

Pennell a big player for Wuss. Pleads guilty, gets two weeks misses Challenge cup games which I doubt they care about this season and back for the Prem games.

Not guilty plea if lost would have been longer, very astute.
jeppy89
Academy prospect
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby