POLL: Sanction for Pennell

What sanction should have been on Pennell for his challenge on Charlie?

Play On
2%
Penalty Only
3%
Yellow Card
55%
Red Card
39%

Total votes : 165

Re: POLL: Sanction for Pennell

upton dc 06 Dec 2018 08:11 am said..

I find it difficult to comprehend that an offence that warrants a future ban from playing the sport does not warrant a red card for the same offence in the game. Conversely, if the offence is deemed only a yellow card during the game then a future ban should not be warranted. Surely?
Panache et Precision
upton dc
On the board

Sheddy Mcshedface 06 Dec 2018 08:18 am said..

upton dc wrote:I find it difficult to comprehend that an offence that warrants a future ban from playing the sport does not warrant a red card for the same offence in the game. Conversely, if the offence is deemed only a yellow card during the game then a future ban should not be warranted. Surely?

Far too much common sense for one post there!
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

Porky 06 Dec 2018 08:41 am said..

upton dc wrote:I find it difficult to comprehend that an offence that warrants a future ban from playing the sport does not warrant a red card for the same offence in the game. Conversely, if the offence is deemed only a yellow card during the game then a future ban should not be warranted. Surely?

What you are advocating would not comply with the current regulations. Offences can only be judged on the laws as they stand. Referees and disciplinary panels cannot invent sanctions that are outside the regulations.

The regulations should certainly be reviewed but any different sanctions can only be applied after what I hope would be a careful and exhaustive review.
Time you enjoy wasting is never wasted.
Porky
On the board

ROLLO 06 Dec 2018 08:55 am said..

Chris will miss two European games , at least one of which he would have missed anyway. As has been said Chris is not a malicious player, it was a misjudgement which I guess many players ( including Glos ones ) may have made in the same circumstances , we have accepted the outcome and move on.
As I said I was surpassed that it was not a red, but equally surprised that there is a further sanction but that appears to be the laws - I think :?:
ROLLO
On the board

chumba 06 Dec 2018 09:07 am said..

In this case the law is clearly an arse. From the Shed it looked like a red card. Whilst there may have been no malice in Pennell's actions it was extremely reckless and very dangerous. Chris had plenty of time to just duck out of the way as it was apparent he was in no position to challenge in the air or tackle Charlie as he landed.

Two weeks about right, but, he was lucky to be allowed to return to the pitch IMHO. If it was a Glos player doing this I would have expected a red card and would not have complained. The game has moved on in terms of what is/is not allowed on the pitch and these sorts of acrobatic up-endings are clearly not acceptable from a player welfare perspective. It seems these days that the tackler has some sort of duty towards his opponent, and in this case that duty was clearly breached. Both were lucky that Charlie escaped serious injury.

If memory serves Charlie got a red about 6-8 years ago against Sale for a very similiar incident.
chumba
Vice-Captain

JamesK 06 Dec 2018 09:27 am said..

I don't agree that Pennell did have plenty of time to get out of the way. He'd have pretty much had to throw himself to the floor to do so which isn't really the natural instinct of a professional rugby player.
JamesK
Senior squad member

ps1970 06 Dec 2018 09:28 am said..

saw it on the highlights for the first time last night.
For me it's a clear red, taking the player out in the air, he's not competing for the ball, he's not ensuring the safety of the other player and he's very lucky that Charlie wasn't badly hurt (and himself for that matter).
It doesn't look intentional just careless but that's no defense.
If what Danny did was a red then this has to be too.
ps1970
Turns out for the A team

chumba 06 Dec 2018 09:35 am said..

JamesK - i think the law makers would wish to encourage exactly that sort of behaviour in the circusmstances.
chumba
Vice-Captain

ROLLO 06 Dec 2018 09:41 am said..

Whilst I broadly agree with your post Chumba, if Chris had the speed of reaction you suggest was needed he would be successfully challenging Hamilton for the F1 title.
ROLLO
On the board

JamesK 06 Dec 2018 09:56 am said..

chumba wrote:JamesK - i think the law makers would wish to encourage exactly that sort of behaviour in the circusmstances.

Indeed, but he didn't have "plenty of time" to do this.
JamesK
Senior squad member
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby