Premiership ring-fencing

Premiership ring-fencing

dvtavfc 03 Dec 2018 17:12 pm said..

Seems this has reared its head again. Owen Slot of the Times claiming "some clubs" (maybe Bath, Bristol, Leicester, Worcester, Northampton, Sale and Newcastle) are discussing ring-fencing the Premiership, in the hope that they may even stop relegation as early as this season

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/spor ... 1543856763 (£)
dvtavfc
Academy prospect

Re: Premiership ring-fencing

Gb83 03 Dec 2018 17:14 pm said..

I would hate for this to happen, the bottom end of the table is probably more exciting than the top at the moment.
Gb83
Hall of Famer

Glos1012 03 Dec 2018 17:17 pm said..

I think its right. The teams that are up at the minute are correct based on club sizes and finances. Maybe London Irish and 1 other to be voted up if they wanted to make it 14 teams
Glos1012
Vice-Captain

Sheddy Mcshedface 03 Dec 2018 17:24 pm said..

So the big clubs who are in danger of getting pulled into a relegation battle are keen on ring fencing! Quelle surprise!

Ironically I am on the fence about this topic. Whilst promotion/relegation are an integral part of most british team sports rugby does have unique aspects which mean the gap between the top division and the lower leagues is getting bigger eaxh year!
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

Oldprop 03 Dec 2018 17:38 pm said..

I feel the CVC share purchase has to factor into this. Presumably their money will go to clubs who are currently in the prem. It would seem odd to see a club receIve a £20m windfall and be relegated, while the club coming up would receive nothing.
Oldprop
Hall of Famer

Wilkosam 03 Dec 2018 17:50 pm said..

I have mixed emotions about this but as others have said, not surprising given current climate. Some of those who aren't faring so well this season (And their fans) think this is a good idea now, truly shocking...

I still think the threat of relegation is an important factor of the season. Without it, I will find myself considerably less interested in watching teams at the bottom end of the table as the season draws to a close. I think we need to be looking to bring the standard of the championship up (expanding the pool of talent - sharing the wealth generated) rather than pulling up the draw bridge.
Wilkosam
Vice-Captain

Beddis 03 Dec 2018 19:39 pm said..

As I posted on another thread, Leinster sent a second/third team over to play a nearly first team Dragons team at Rodney Parade, they put 60 points on them!

Dragons have nothing to play for whatsoever, they won’t get Champions Cup rugby and they won’t get relegated, all by the first weekend of December!

I understand the reasoning behind ring fencing, but no thanks if this is the result
Posts: 3614  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis

Big Red 03 Dec 2018 19:54 pm said..

What about the top? League leaders shield anyone?!!!
Big Red
Hall of Famer

TP17 03 Dec 2018 19:59 pm said..

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:So the big clubs who are in danger of getting pulled into a relegation battle are keen on ring fencing! Quelle surprise!

Beddis wrote:As I posted on another thread, Leinster sent a second/third team over to play a nearly first team Dragons team at Rodney Parade, they put 60 points on them!

Dragons have nothing to play for whatsoever, they won’t get Champions Cup rugby and they won’t get relegated, all by the first weekend of December!

I understand the reasoning behind ring fencing, but no thanks if this is the result

+1 to both
TP17
Hall of Famer

ROLLO 03 Dec 2018 20:24 pm said..

One thing I can guarantee is that if Glos were in a relegation dog fight attitudes on ShedWeb would change.
ROLLO
On the board
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby