Premiership ring-fencing

Re: Premiership ring-fencing

Camel 05 Dec 2018 17:36 pm said..

Asgard wrote:Let's face it - you either for ring-fencing or against it and I doubt that anyonewill be swayed either way by discussions such as this forum. A bit like Brexit.

True, but it’s been very interesting debating it and reading differing views.
"Remember that Rugby is team game; all 14 of you make sure that you pass the ball to Jonah"
Camel
Hall of Famer

Sheddy Mcshedface 05 Dec 2018 17:42 pm said..

Asgard wrote:Let's face it - you either for ring-fencing or against it and I doubt that anyonewill be swayed either way by discussions such as this forum. A bit like Brexit.

Not really. Its a far more informed debate! If the decision was given to me I'd probably err on the side of the keeping the current situation but I certainly understand the arguements for ring fencing and if it is implemented for the right reasons then it could be the right move in the long term.

One idea people keep talking about is building up the Championship whilst the ring fencing and my main question is, how? Very easy to say but unless you can start making people give a toss about their local side then I really don't see how their can be any expectation of clubs putting themselves in a position to compete at the top level after a period in the 2nd tier?
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

DieTrying 05 Dec 2018 22:42 pm said..

Personally I'm against it BUT, if you're going to do it then increase the League to 14 ( LI & Leeds?) Then split it into two conferences of 7 adding a couple of "Derby " fixtures. This would actually mean the play-offs count for something. Ditch the No sponsor, no one one cares Cup. Play a full A league fixture list along the same lines and mirror the main comp by having the mirror fixtures on the same days for non travellers. Finish the domestic & Euro Comps, then move into 6 nations & summer tours.
DieTrying

Lurker 06 Dec 2018 07:57 am said..

If they go for a five year ring fence option - do you really think they will ever go back? I don’t
Lurker
Hall of Famer

Allez Glaws 06 Dec 2018 11:16 am said..

DieTrying wrote:Personally I'm against it BUT, if you're going to do it then increase the League to 14 ( LI & Leeds?) Then split it into two conferences of 7 adding a couple of "Derby " fixtures. This would actually mean the play-offs count for something. Ditch the No sponsor, no one one cares Cup. Play a full A league fixture list along the same lines and mirror the main comp by having the mirror fixtures on the same days for non travellers. Finish the domestic & Euro Comps, then move into 6 nations & summer tours.

Leeds (or Yorkshire as they are) are currently bottom of the championship and heading for National 1. What right do they have to be pulled up into a league they clearly could not compete in?
Allez Glaws
Vice-Captain

DieTrying 06 Dec 2018 11:38 am said..

Allez Glaws wrote:
DieTrying wrote:Personally I'm against it BUT, if you're going to do it then increase the League to 14 ( LI & Leeds?) Then split it into two conferences of 7 adding a couple of "Derby " fixtures. This would actually mean the play-offs count for something. Ditch the No sponsor, no one one cares Cup. Play a full A league fixture list along the same lines and mirror the main comp by having the mirror fixtures on the same days for non travellers. Finish the domestic & Euro Comps, then move into 6 nations & summer tours.

Leeds (or Yorkshire as they are) are currently bottom of the championship and heading for National 1. What right do they have to be pulled up into a league they clearly could not compete in?

That's why I added a ?
DieTrying

David 06 Dec 2018 11:49 am said..

The only way it could possibly work for me would be if if Barf went down & then the plug was pulled.
Sigh...
:twisted:
David
On the board

Wilkosam 06 Dec 2018 12:03 pm said..

An idea about this which amuses me - so the RFU have said we cannot scrap relegation this season. Fine, reading between the lines, next season then? Let's say for arguments sake that Northampton go down this season (Could be any of those that look in trouble though), LI come up as the cycle plays out.

However, Northampton fail to find their feet in the Championship, and fall short of the title (to lets s say, Ealing).

What on earth would happen? Northampton would be locked out for 5 years! It would be chaos. No doubt this is a very unlikely set of events, but not unthinkable. I imagine there would be some sort of intervention which would allow Northampton back into the big league, but still, cause for thought.
Wilkosam
Vice-Captain

JC 06 Dec 2018 12:08 pm said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:My understanding is that ring-fencing the PRL has to be agreed all parties - not just the self-interested 14 PRL clubs (they include London Irish and Leeds). Most parties surely would want to retain the bed-rock of promotion/relegation as the core of the League structure ??

Pretty certain it's 13 clubs in the PRL?

Leeds sold their shares to London Irish a while back, the reasons I don't know, but that's the situation. I appreciate that Leeds would merit their own ground, stadium capacity requirements, etc, but as a non-member, I don't see how they can influence their position within PRL.

Also, PRL would deem another club joining as having to spread the cash earned/generated further, and therefore lower each clubs cut of the pie.

Overall, in my humble opinion, if we want to match the performances of the Irish provinces and Ireland in European rugby, we need to ring fence. Otherwise, the attritional nature of the Premiership will always hamstring our clubs and England in it's current set-up.
Posts: 432  Location: North County Dublin, via The Longlevens Hood, Castle Grim and Old Richians...
JC
Vice-Captain

ROLLO 06 Dec 2018 12:12 pm said..

As a stepping stone I would increase to 13 clubs ( presumably LI ) with the bottom GP side playing off against the team at the top of the championship. If you wanted to equal it out a bit you could make it a one off game at the Championships clubs ground.
I would make the entry criteria a less stringent.
> Forget the capacity issue but have a rule that at least say 20% of tickets should be in the first instance be made available to the away side.
> A minimum requirement for pitch, floodlights and away and officials changing rooms. ( What is done for the home team is their own choice.)
> Obviously a ground safety audit.
> A financial viability and business plan that has to be ready for presentation before the qualifying game.
> Clubs who wish to be considered for promotion should make this known at the beginning of the season. This may even enable some initial stress testing to be carried out.
ROLLO
On the board
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby