Micky Booth

Micky Booth

andrewatcourtfarm 07 Dec 2018 07:58 am said..

It's Micky Booth's 80th birthday today.
Let's have some stories about the great man.
andrewatcourtfarm
First team regular

Re: Micky Booth

stuartjames 07 Dec 2018 08:11 am said..

A genuine question for anybody that actually knows Micky Booth, but is his health OK at the moment?

My mum lives in Barnwood and used to see him quite regularly and chat with him on the bus etc , but it's been a few months and she wondered if he was OK?

Other than that a bit before my time, but my dad used to sing his praises as the best No 9 he'd ever seen at Kingsholm. So Best wishes
stuartjames
Hero in the making

Glawsterkaapie 07 Dec 2018 08:46 am said..

In the mid 80's, Micket often turned out for ICI Fibres, Brockworth Sunday cricket XI.
Happy times, simpler times, balmy sunny afternoons and much laughter to be had, more oft than not with Mickey reminiscing about his cherry and white buddies.
As a teenager then I'd hang off his every word having been inspired from the '78 final exploits and watching John Watkins running up the steps at the 'holm whilst we frequented many a Utd fixture.

Bless Mickey and for all the beautiful Glawster goodness that he has brought to many lives....and long may you be able to sharethose remarkable stories with us ....
Glawsterkaapie
Senior squad member

Glawsterkaapie 07 Dec 2018 08:48 am said..

and many happy, happy 80th wishes from us all, Mickey
Glawsterkaapie
Senior squad member

Ken Burney 07 Dec 2018 08:59 am said..

Gloucester played away against Bordeaux Begles, in the Challenge Cup, in January 2013.

Kate and me were wandering round Bordeaux one morning when a rainstorm broke out. We dived into the nearest bar where there was a group of GR supporters including Mickey Booth and Peter Ford. Whilst drinking a fair bit of wine we were all entertained by Mickey and Peter, but especially the former.

Mickey reeled off a series of stories about his days with Gloucester - what a bloke!
Ken Burney
Hall of Famer

harrydyke 07 Dec 2018 09:02 am said..

harrydyke
Senior squad member

plod 07 Dec 2018 10:09 am said..

I remember him running away from the scrum without the ball encouraging the “wing forwards” to leave the scrum. Banned afterwards. I think at the weekend one of the scrum-halves did something similar. Danny Care? What a wonderful player he was, born in the wrong era for international selection. Happy Birthday.
plod
On the board

Clive's Pants 07 Dec 2018 10:17 am said..

Maybe he was one of the earliest 'would have played for England if he'd not been a Gloucester player'?
Clive's Pants
Hero in the making

Glawsterkaapie 07 Dec 2018 10:40 am said..

Plod : well spotted i.r.o Danny Care ; Willi Heinz also did it once in the first half, used his feet well to send the backrow one way from a central scrum only to ship it the other way....similar move to Care's and was probably one of the highlights of Willi's game as well as driving Jaco over for his try....

Micky was always full of tricks... a thinking man's scrumhalf ; s'pose he could afford to be when sat behind the sheer, ruggedness of Mike Nicholls et al....
Glawsterkaapie
Senior squad member

Fat Taff 07 Dec 2018 10:40 am said..

Clive's Pants wrote:Maybe he was one of the earliest 'would have played for England if he'd not been a Gloucester player'?

Good article by Charlie Morgan in the Telegraph talking to Ackers, 36 and Ben Morgs about this very subject.
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby