Team's up

Re: Team's up

King Prawn Bhuna 07 Dec 2018 13:11 pm said..

You mean he doesn't read Shedweb ;)
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

glawsfan19 07 Dec 2018 13:15 pm said..

Makes sense to me as if we are to progress through the comp our best chance is to realistically win our last 3 matches so prioritising the the home game makes sense. Worth remembering we have sent strong sides to Exeter recently and been well beat so why not try a slighty different approach and pick a team they might not expect. It is short turnaround next week as well Saturday to Friday. Still plenty of rugby to be played this season we need to manage players minutes to keep them at their peak.
glawsfan19
Senior squad member

Wilkosam 07 Dec 2018 13:44 pm said..

Without doubt the home game is the focus. This is fine as long as it works. If we lose both games we will be wondering why, I suppose. It does seem like a bit of a roll of the dice.
That said I can't wait to see what this team can do against the best. Freddie Clarke in particular has been outstanding so far, IMO this game is a big opportunity to stake his claim for a first choice place in the back row.
Wilkosam
Vice-Captain

gmorgan131285 07 Dec 2018 13:53 pm said..

On a plus note, if that as seen as a weakened or not full strength team, we have come a long way in the past 2/3/4/5 seasons
gmorgan131285
Vice-Captain

Camel 07 Dec 2018 13:53 pm said..

Anyone looked at the weather forecast for tomorrow!? :?

https://www.bbc.com/weather/2649808

I think it'll largely come down to the packs fighting it out for the small yards in the set-piece and tight phases. The Chiefs pack is enormous. We're going to have a very tough afternoon stopping their driving mall and holding them in the scrum. I would imagine they'll look to keep it up their jumper.

The other key area will be the kicking from the 9's, 10's and 12's. I think we've got an edge there. The chasing game from our wingers and Trinder will also be important; Charlie might've been a better bet that Banahan? Hudson's very solid under the high ball, so starting him over Woodward I think is a good call.

Conditions tomorrow are going to be horrendous and their experience of the ground gives them a clear edge. I can't see many points being scored. If we can come away with a LBP, then that'll be a very good result to take back to CG next weekend.

I'm going for Chiefs by 5.
"Remember that Rugby is team game; all 14 of you make sure that you pass the ball to Jonah"
Camel
Hall of Famer

VV 07 Dec 2018 13:54 pm said..

Whether it's the line up you'd select yourself all those chosen have sufficient quality in their own right. What they have to do is front up as a unit and eliminate the errors of the recent visit. That said, Exeter look strong and are generally formidable at home. A LBP would be just that, a bonus.
We all watch the same match but each of us sees a different game
VV
First team regular

King Prawn Bhuna 07 Dec 2018 14:34 pm said..

None of those selected to start are weak and would be arguably a normal starter in that position, so I'm not sure what I'm missing here. In my book we need the front row to hang on as long as they can...then we might get a bit of a punishment later on. As for the rest it still looks pretty strong to me. We have to take it to them this time a bit like we did at Munster but hopefully get some better breaks with the French ref.
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

radioshed 07 Dec 2018 14:43 pm said..

If we want to progress, we need to win the group. Second place in this group wont be enough.
If we want to win the group, we need to win these 2 matches and at the same time end Exeter's hopes.

We have put out a strong team, though if it had been a league match I would have expected Slater, Twelvetrees, Sharples and Woodward to have started.

I hope we have learnt from the league game, and try and play a more conservative game in the wet conditions. We need to eliminate the mistakes to prevent Exeter making easy metres and attacking our try line. We are capable of winning if we play well throughout the match and not just for the odd 20 minutes.
radioshed
Vice-Captain

CMGC 07 Dec 2018 14:48 pm said..

The forecast to be fair is saying showers 50% likely. So we'll get some rain but they are not predicting a solid downpour. Should be fine for playing some decent rugby.
CMGC

Baz 07 Dec 2018 14:51 pm said..

I would have played Hudson over Woodward before last week, then he probably had his best game for us this season. Exeter two weeks ago was made for Banners and Charlie had a poor game and with it likely to be similar weather, it would seem to be the sensible decision to swap them around. Twelvetrees is a big call but the backline will be at it's quickest without 'Mr Dependable'
Mostert must have been an intro to kingsholm (as I said at the time) and he probably needs a bit longer to bed in. I also said last week that I thought Grobler was our best second row this season, so I'm pleased to see him in, but maybe not at the expense of Ed.
Baz
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby