Times Change...or do they?

Re: Times Change...or do they?

Forrester 09 Jan 2019 19:47 pm said..

harrydyke wrote:A report of Glos. v Cinderford, 28 Sep 1912:

With Gloucester leading midway through the second half by 12 pts to 5, "...the players appeared to have got out of hand, and feelings were very high. Niblett felt the effects of coming into contact with the City captain. Harrison had been assisted off the field by the ambulance men, and Gloucester continued with seven men [i.e. forwards]". Midway through the second period, "...the players appeared to have got out of hand, and feeling ran very high. Once there was half a dozen players mixed up together on the ground whilst the game proceeded, and there was a stoppage on the far side of the ground ...the game eventually resuming. Washbourn went off the field and Pegler was brought out of the scrum, further reducing the pack to six ... at this juncture there was excitement amongst the spectators on the sixpenny side, a couple of men having a good set-to, until stopped by a policeman. The fight forward was uneven with six against eight, although Gloucester got the ball back several times, but it was useless getting it to Hudson's wing for the captain was crippled ...'

The Citizen subsequently reported: "As a result of to-day's game Gloucester have three players on the injured list – Hudson, Washbourne, and Harris – all three suffering from damaged ankles".

Fantastic!
Forrester
Hall of Famer

Clive's Pants 09 Jan 2019 22:55 pm said..

Wonderful stuff. Can I suggest a regular posting such as this? (monthly?)...with maybe a quiz element such as guess the year or opposition?
Clive's Pants
On the board

Captain Jolly 10 Jan 2019 15:59 pm said..

harrydyke wrote:
Harry, I presume the 'Pegler' mentioned is Fred from Painswick? Do you know if Dave Pegler our second row in the 60's and cousin of my late friend Jack Pegler a second row at Cainscross were related?

Indeed it is Fred Pegler, but I don't have the answer to your query at the moment. One of our researchers is running a project to try to establish Gloucester Rugby "families", of which there are many, and we hope to start to get the results up on the website as soon as we can. I'll pass on the question and see what we can dig out.

PM sent.
Westy is watching.
Captain Jolly
On the board

harrydyke 10 Jan 2019 16:22 pm said..

Captain Jolly

Thanks for PM - will do a bit more digging around the local records at Gloucestershire Archives.
harrydyke
Senior squad member
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby