Munster game review

Re: Munster game review

steckers 11 Jan 2019 22:41 pm said..

I heard some stuff at the ground tonight that I thought was pretty poor form. They call themselves supporters?
steckers
Hall of Famer

Baldhead2 11 Jan 2019 23:00 pm said..

LowerO wrote:
Creamoftheprop wrote:Diff between a top class side and us in large parts is game management - fire in the belly and ice in the brain and all that.

Gloucester have played how many games at this level in the last few years compared to Munster? And how many of our players have been involved at this level? It will take time. Munster have been doing it for years - oh, and they have the additional benefit of rest during the season.

It will take time but during that period we need to get better coaches, recruit either top youth to grow with us or entice better from other premiership clubs as demonstrate our intent or this is our peak. As people say this isn’t a one off.
Baldhead2
First team regular

allgold123 11 Jan 2019 23:03 pm said..

To throw in my two pence...

I think firstly Munster were class tonight, and showed that they have consistently played at that level for some time. Yes we made it easy for them at times, but overall they were clearly the better side.

We can’t forget that half this side, have not played even close to the amount of rugby that our lads have played this year, they were much fresher, they were stronger across the field. Munster have that luxury of fielding ‘weaker’ team in their league, we do not.

Adding to that we are injury ridden, there were clearly players involved today who perhaps wouldn’t have been involved had their been more options.

Overall we can be all doom and gloom, but I just think the squad are just starting to feel the effects on a very physical and competitive season with very little ability to rotate jaded players.

This is professional sport and tonights atmosphere was one of the reasons we love it. My son and I will be back to support the boys next time out.

Onwards and upwards!
allgold123
Turns out for the A team

Creamoftheprop 11 Jan 2019 23:17 pm said..

Baldhead2 wrote:
LowerO wrote:
Creamoftheprop wrote:Diff between a top class side and us in large parts is game management - fire in the belly and ice in the brain and all that.

Gloucester have played how many games at this level in the last few years compared to Munster? And how many of our players have been involved at this level? It will take time. Munster have been doing it for years - oh, and they have the additional benefit of rest during the season.

It will take time but during that period we need to get better coaches, recruit either top youth to grow with us or entice better from other premiership clubs as demonstrate our intent or this is our peak. As people say this isn’t a one off.

Dont disagree. Think there are clearly individuals at Glos who have the exp but there are many who dont. As i said on the other thread we need to keep the core of the squad and add to it not do what we have historically done with 15 in and 15 out in the summer plus a new coaching unit every 18mnth or two yrs.
Creamoftheprop
First team regular

DieTrying 11 Jan 2019 23:26 pm said..

Baldhead2 wrote:
LowerO wrote:

So a Head coach who got an unfancied/ poor in money terms, Team out of the doldrums and to two consecutive Super Rugby finals isn't good enough? Really?
DieTrying

Jimbodini 11 Jan 2019 23:45 pm said..

I maintain as I have said previously that I am still worried that we will get drawn into a relegation dogfight.
Jimbodini
Vice-Captain

Chewbacca 11 Jan 2019 23:47 pm said..

Feeling a bit sorry for our guys tonight, must be hard to be battered like that and play on. We didn’t give up and we didn't lose because we were uninterested or not committed.

Munster out played us. They were well drilled, had a solid game plan and some marvellous pieces of group and individual skill/ execution.

I am hoping for a reset for the team after the Castres game where we have a 3 week break. We are in a great position in the prem and this is what I really care about. The players need to rest their bodies and minds, practice their set pieces and come back with a few new tricks.

Some points:
Breakdown looked very different to in the prem. I think the approach by teams in the other leagues and the refereeing is very different.

The Celtic league gamesmanship showed.

Romain Poite is the most annoying man in Rugby. Aweful communication with players, niggly penalties all the time and ruins the flow of the game. I am sure he knows the rule book inside out, but applying it is another matter. Just so everyone understands, I am not blaming him for the loss but it is less of a spectical with him around.

How many mins had their guys played? I would like to see some comparison stats.
Last edited by Chewbacca on 12 Jan 2019 00:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chewbacca
Senior squad member

Number10 11 Jan 2019 23:54 pm said..

For me I thought we competed well for 60 minutes of the game. Definitely missing a few key players and that makes a massive difference. Hanson as hooker would have made a huge difference. Lost lots of lineouts and scrums. Don't blame Walker only a young lad and the pressure must.have been huge on him. Also full back we miss Woodward massively. Hudson is normally solid, he wasnt tonight but again nerves playing in a big game like this would have an impact, but Woodward provides that x factor. Murrays box kicks were excellent tonight but would he have done the same if the fear of Woodward running it back 80 metres have made it harder for him?
Number10
Hall of Famer

DieTrying 12 Jan 2019 00:08 am said..

JA Interview. NOTE: He doesn't blame the Ref but does make some interesting calls & is clearly "not happy":

https://www.gloucesterrugby.co.uk/video ... o-munster/
DieTrying

LowerO 12 Jan 2019 09:57 am said..

Jimbodini wrote:I maintain as I have said previously that I am still worried that we will get drawn into a relegation dogfight.

Other than the top 2, every team is in the “relegation dogfight” so that’s a sensationalisation of what is a very competitive league. It is the exact antithesis of Munster’s league where there is no relegation, the freedom to pick and choose your games to win, higher odds of winning a Champions Cup place, a recruitment structure that favours the best players being available for your team.

With all that there are great strides being made by Gloucester with serious handicaps applied. Wake up and think back to the last 5, 6, 7, 8 seasons for a dose of perspective!
LowerO
Vice-Captain
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby