Team for Castres

Team for Castres

ryno_chelt 12 Jan 2019 08:50 am said..

We are out, but I think we put in a strong squad mixed with youth.

My team would be:

Cipriani in!

1: Hohneck
2: Marais
3: Knight
4: Mozzie (then give him a big rest!)
5: Grobler
6: Clarke
7: Ludlow
8: Evans
9: Braley
10: Williams
11: Banahan
12: Atkinson
13: Trinder
14: Sharples
15: Hudson

16: Walker
17: Seville
18: Balmain
19: Slater
20: Morgs
21: Vellacott
22: Evans
23: Woodward
ryno_chelt
Hero in the making

Re: Team for Castres

steckers 12 Jan 2019 09:12 am said..

Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more.
steckers
Hall of Famer

LowerO 12 Jan 2019 09:50 am said..

+1 steckers

No way we should risk players that are critical for the near term and who need a rest. Take a big squad (if funds permit) for the experience but play those on the fringe or the young front row for more big game learning.
LowerO
Vice-Captain

shedwebber 12 Jan 2019 09:54 am said..

Yep, rotate and blood new players where possible. There are positives from last night in the sober light of day and we now need to focus on the Premiership and ensuring that players coming back from injury are rotated, and wherever possible, players such as GG, Balmain and Hohneck are rested for a while. 3 defeats will leave their mark and we need to get behind the lads as will as a club grow from this season.
Éire go Brách!
shedwebber
Hero in the making

Hucclecote Glaws 12 Jan 2019 10:05 am said..

Depending on tomorrow's match, Castres may still have a chance of progressing, which could influence our selection. If they are likely to play their strongest team, we might have to in order to comply with tournament rules.
"In my experience, eloquent men are right every bit as often as imbeciles."

Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones
Hucclecote Glaws
Hall of Famer

steckers 12 Jan 2019 10:13 am said..

Sod the tournament rules - surely if a player is registered then it's ok to play them?

I would say Walker and Hudson need to play again - best thing is to get on the pitch after a below-par game. Williams and Atkinson at 10-12. Evans and Ludlow could use some more game time.

If there is anyone likely to play the next prem game - I hope they spend the week on a beach somewhere. I'm sure the recent increase in mistakes is due, in part, to fatigue. Both physical and mental.

Balmain, Hohneck, Mostert, Slater, Morgan, Clarke, Twelvetrees etc have played far too much rugby.

I hope we have enough props available to give the front row a rest.
steckers
Hall of Famer

Glossince86 12 Jan 2019 10:26 am said..

I think Hohneck, Balmain, Marais (if not 100% fit) all need to be rested or benched if no others are fit and used if needed. Hohneck and Balmain must be running on fumes!!

Morgan and Twelvetrees could do with a break too! Rest anyone else who's not 100% too. We've got a good run of prem games now where other Saracens and Exeter will be missing some players so we need our strongest players fit and available!
Glossince86
On the board

Fat Taff 12 Jan 2019 10:32 am said..

steckers wrote:Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more.

+1. I'd rest every first choice player, starting with Hohneck and Balmain.
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

Forrester 12 Jan 2019 10:52 am said..

Fat Taff wrote:
steckers wrote:Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more.

+1. I'd rest every first choice player, starting with Hohneck and Balmain.

They’ll have to bench at least I would have thought, do we have any fit and registered alternatives?
Forrester
Hall of Famer

Hucclecote Glaws 12 Jan 2019 10:57 am said..

I'd be tempted to start Hohneck and Balmain, then take them off after twenty minutes, as if they're on the bench and there's an injury early on, they'd have to play the rest of the match.
"In my experience, eloquent men are right every bit as often as imbeciles."

Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones
Hucclecote Glaws
Hall of Famer
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby