Shedhead in Cyber Space

Shedhead in Cyber Space

GlawsyD 03 Feb 2019 13:27 pm said..

www.gloucesterrugby.com – Yes, Shedhead in Cyber Space

Whilst sorting out the cupboards, I found a copy of the old Shedhead (Issue 1: Vol 6). For younger members this was a fanzine produced for most home matches full of fact, rumour, laughs and general irreverent thoughts on all thing’s rugby and Gloucester RFC produced by Ed Snow and Bob Fenton.

This edition (for 2 Sep 2000) was a landmark issue (not because it was for the first game of the new season against Sale) but it announced the launch of 'Shedhead' on the Rivals network.

Initially, Rivals had approached Steve Hawker – then webmaster of the Kingsholm Chronicle. Deciding it was not for him, he suggested Shedhead might carry the flag. For 5 years Shedhead had been truly independent, beholding to nobody except their readers who – after all – paid for it, and the editors were not about to throw that away.

The paper version continued and still took precedent. The view was that some items would feature in one version (or both). The ‘Website’ was seen as the ‘Daily Shedhead’ but the match day version would also contain unique stuff for the ‘pre and halftime’ readership.

The obvious question was this now in competition with the ‘Chronic’? – the answer was ‘No’ – we are all on the same side, as we had always been. The ‘Sheditorial’ pointed to the fact that the creation of ‘Cyber Shedhead’ had resulted in Gloucester having 4 (four) websites devoted to it’s interests. Ironically, only the Club itself, did not have one!

Eventually, the decision was made to join and as we all know, through evolution and the passage of time has become what we see today.

p.s. The four sites at the time were, Kingsholm Chronicle, Gloucesterrugby.com (Shedhead), Junior Shed and (about to be launched) Citizen’s ‘Cherry-and-white.com.
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
GlawsyD
Hall of Famer

Re: Shedhead in Cyber Space

Tuffty 03 Feb 2019 19:57 pm said..

A lovely stroll down memory lane Dave! I’m feeling rather nostalgic now. :)
Tuffty

"The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
Tuffty
Hall of Famer

stevieb 03 Feb 2019 20:31 pm said..

The link takes me to 2016 not 2000? :?
stevieb
Hall of Famer

GlawsyD 04 Feb 2019 09:55 am said..

Sorry, Steve but I only intended it to be a
text reference ( as in the original paper edition) not a link. Still it shows that things have not changed with the losses!
GlawsyD
Hall of Famer

GlawsyD 04 Feb 2019 10:14 am said..

For the nostalgic, the edition carried expectations of Jason Littles arrival, an interview with All Black Ian Jones, Colser's Claptrap (a look back at the Glos 61_7 victory over Sale on 16 Apr 1988). Sadly, the edition also carried a tribute to long time club servant Digger Morris who made 311 appearances for the club.
GlawsyD
Hall of Famer

Beddis 04 Feb 2019 11:22 am said..

Any chance anyone could scan Shedhead magazines up onto the internet somehow? My hopes were raised but I’m sure someone with the requisite know how will get this sorted.

Perhaps it could be added to the heritage site as these were an essential purchase along with the programme back in the day!!!

Fingers crossed!
Posts: 3994  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis

King Prawn Bhuna 04 Feb 2019 11:38 am said..

Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

harrydyke 04 Feb 2019 16:45 pm said..

We've got copies of Old Spot at http://www.gloucesterrugbyheritage.org.uk/content/category/programmes/old_spot but no copies of Shedhead magazine. If anyone has copies I'd willingly scan them and put them up on the heritage website.
harrydyke
Senior squad member

GlawsyD 04 Feb 2019 18:09 pm said..

HarryD, your welcome to my copy.
GlawsyD
Hall of Famer

harrydyke 05 Feb 2019 13:56 pm said..

HarryD, your welcome to my copy.

Thanks, GlawsyD. I'll PM you to see how best to send/return.
harrydyke
Senior squad member
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby