England v France Team

Re: England v France Team

steckers 09 Feb 2019 09:28 am said..

Have I missed something? What criticism?
steckers
Hall of Famer

Diamo 09 Feb 2019 10:03 am said..

Tumpy+1 wrote:Still wouldn't beat Wales though :P
Isn't that the old saying though, you can never beat the Welsh, you can only score more points than them! :D

But this looks a decent side though, like Ashton for Nowell, as I think Ashton scares the French a bit. Keep the same side mostly, bring in a few faces so no-one gets complacent. Just need to keep up the same intensity as last week and France can be beaten.
Posts: 807  Location: Munich mostly and sometimes the sprawling metropolis of Stroud
Diamo
On the board

Glossince86 09 Feb 2019 10:47 am said..

Sky blue wrote:Correct. Much of the criticism of EJ here is laughable.

Some of his comments are crass and unnecessary but I hope JA goes on to be as "unsuccessful" at Glos as EJ has been with England.

I’ll put my hands up and say I was critical of EJ, largely from a player burnout perspective. Given improvements in the Autumn and the start to the six nations I’m hopeful I’m wrong and we’ll see us return to the form of the first two seasons of his reign
Glossince86
On the board

King Prawn Bhuna 09 Feb 2019 11:17 am said..

I think all of the criticism up to the AIs last year was pretty reasonable, success doesn't look like 5th in the 6N and was was inexcusable. The team that took to the pitch in Paris last spring was a shambles and not a team that was being organised by a head coach that was above reproach from the fans , the media and his employers.

He has taken on board much of what his critics have said. The squad , the team dynamics, the playing style and not least of all his own demeanour are/have changed and continue to adapt. Fair play to him for having a quiet revolution and chopping the dead wood out.

I said at the start of the AIs we have to get behind and still stick by it...it could be the Mitchell effect....but almost certainly it was the appointment of Will Carling that has turned the tide an astute appointment already :)
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

Tuffty 09 Feb 2019 11:42 am said..

Very much agree KPB.

If you accept the big bucks, the buck stops with you when performance is sub-standard. You have to listen to the constructive criticism and enact change. The measure of a man is how he responds to challenge. In this instance EJ has indeed risen to the challenge as you rightly point out.

Long may it continue!
Last edited by Tuffty on 09 Feb 2019 14:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tuffty

"The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
Tuffty
Hall of Famer

steckers 09 Feb 2019 13:47 pm said..

Oh last year. Well in 2018 EJ will accept the criticism. England had a very poor year, even when they did scrape wins (and i include some of the AIs). Even this week, I have seen some of the players saying that England failed to progress and adapt last year.

I think some people do EJ a disservice. He is a professional coach and will know that criticism comes with the territory. It also can make you better. He will know that - I have no idea why some think it's unreasonable to be critical.

Personally, I was very critical of him last year - I thought England were awful after a great start. It doesn't mean I thought he should be sacked (it was getting close at one point).

It was interesting listening to Alastair Cook on 5live yesterday talking about this - professional sportsmen just have to accept they will be criticised. I have no idea why anyone would cry about it - and I'm sure EJ wouldn't.
steckers
Hall of Famer

CMGC 09 Feb 2019 18:35 pm said..

I think EJ is one of the first to dish it out and doesn't whinge when others comment. Last year Eng suffered ( just like Glos this year) due to a horror show on injuries. New players had to come in and that takes rime to adjust and settle. It seems that Bown is just about the only one who has been slightly dropped. Cole is back/ Robshaw still injuried / JJ is in his sights but not quite fit enough as is Hartley and several others who were out now back in the fold. Care has been potentially dropped depending on what Robson does. I can;t see any sign of a response to any outside influence. I think EJ always knew what he wanted and despite still having half a dozen of his 23 out can at least assemble a more complete team. What is good is that EJ has picked on form and the number of new faces each season has kept evolving.
Here is a list of those Int players who were injured for large parts of 2018
Synkler
Mullan
Mako V
Genge
Harley
Lawes
Launcher
Kruis
Isiweke
Robshaw
Billy V
Clifford
Hughes
Curry
Simmonds
Youngs
Twiggi
JJ
Daly
Te'o
Ashton
Yarde
Nowell
Watson
Solomona
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CMGC

Not1eyed 09 Feb 2019 18:48 pm said..

Wow, you could make a seriously good team out of that lot.

Just want to say I don’t think EJ was anywhere near the sack anywhere else but shedweb.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

King Prawn Bhuna 09 Feb 2019 19:33 pm said..

Not1eyed wrote:Wow, you could make a seriously good team out of that lot.

Just want to say I don’t think EJ was anywhere near the sack anywhere else but shedweb.

You need to get out s bit more...if he'd faced the fans n Paris last year there were a few Saracens fans sharpening their guillotines. There is a world outside of Shedweb
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

Not1eyed 09 Feb 2019 19:47 pm said..

Thanks for the advice. I’ll try and do that. :D

I didn’t articulate myself very well tho I meant he wasn’t near the sack in circles that matter. :D
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby