England v France Team

Re: England v France Team

Geoffy 09 Feb 2019 20:26 pm said..

:)
King Prawn Bhuna wrote:
Not1eyed wrote:Wow, you could make a seriously good team out of that lot.

Just want to say I don’t think EJ was anywhere near the sack anywhere else but shedweb.

You need to get out s bit more...if he'd faced the fans n Paris last year there were a few Saracens fans sharpening their guillotines. There is a world outside of Shedweb

I'd always had yer average Saracen down as more of a sabre/curved sword man - still, I suppose "when in Paris........" :)
Geoffy
Vice-Captain

steckers 09 Feb 2019 21:15 pm said..

England had a bad year and I don't think injuries can be an excuse. No country has more players available for selection.

I didn't suggest that he was close to being sacked - just my opinion that he was getting dangerously close to being under real pressure. It's not a SW thing - I assure you every rugby forum had a thread in which it was discussed. And I'm sure the powers that be at the RFU would have also had some kind of conversation about it even if it was immediately dismissed.
steckers
Hall of Famer

CMGC 09 Feb 2019 22:25 pm said..

Having lots of players with a pro contract does little to help cover for injuries if you are in the worlds top half dozen teams. It is all about continuity, familiarity, team cohesion, close planning , experience etc. You can't just draft in some prem pro's and get the same results. So yes it was heavly influenced by injuries. The problem is more about those who don't like EJ. Poor old Bomber suffered the same fate. I have little doubt the RFU were more than content to keep EJ on as a change would have just caused senseless turmoil .
CMGC

steckers 09 Feb 2019 23:19 pm said..

Surely one of the key requirements of the job is to manage that CMGC? EJ has had plenty of chance to rotate other players in before 2018 - but he did tend to stick to the 'in crowd' a little. At the end of the day - the results of 2018 speak for themselves - and I doubt anyone in the Eng coaching team would argue otherwise.

I find it alarming that some on here tend to make everything a black and white issue. Personally, there are things about EJ I don't like - but ultimately I still support him.
steckers
Hall of Famer

Beddis 09 Feb 2019 23:32 pm said..

I thought last year that Jones should have been fired after the South Africa tour as that really was the low point for England in a long time.

Obviously we are stuck with him regardless and to give him credit he outsmarted Schmidt last weekend.

I still don’t think England are going to get to the World Cup final, but with the French being their usual selves and Argentina seemingly in disarray, England do have an excellent opportunity to go a long way.

Tomorrow will give us more clues as to the way things might pan out but I still have doubts about Jones’s ability to win the big prize.
Posts: 4004  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis

Captain Jolly 10 Feb 2019 00:01 am said..

Beddis wrote:
Tomorrow will give us more clues as to the way things might pan out but I still have doubts about Jones’s ability to win the big prize.

I presume you will cut him some slack if we reach the final Mark? ;)
Westy is watching.
Captain Jolly
On the board

Beddis 10 Feb 2019 00:24 am said..

Don’t hold your breath :mrgreen:
Posts: 4004  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis

Tuffty 10 Feb 2019 07:33 am said..

I’m going to go on form and say England by 16.
Tuffty

"The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
Tuffty
Hall of Famer

Tumpy+1 10 Feb 2019 09:48 am said..

Looking forward to seeing the forwards competition today. If England do what Wales did and nullify the French scrum, I think you will win by a bucket load, which wont get me nervous for the match at Cardiff ….. much! :)
Officially 'Happy Clappy'
Tumpy+1
Hero in the making

CMGC 10 Feb 2019 10:30 am said..

Steckers - I agree that managing problems is a requirement. However when they occur it is unreasonable to expect the same level of performance. You can plan to have depth which he has done but if all you do is rotate your squad you will never reach the heights to win GS's and WC's. There are too many good teams who will be more cohesive and on the same page. I don't think any team in the world would have survived any better given the injury problems of the last 12 months. We won't be the only ones to suffer but likewise those HC's are not the ones to blame. Eng's real long term problem is getting their top 30 players as much R+R as their main opponents are able to give their players.
Eng may or may not do well in Japan but it will be despite the system and if they had a set up like NZ or Ire then they would be serial WC finalists / winners. Perhaps for global rugby it is better it stays as it is ?
CMGC
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby