The Full 136 Year History of the Six Nations - Visualisation

The Full 136 Year History of the Six Nations - Visualisation

BathSalmon 11 Feb 2019 21:09 pm said..

Hi,

I've been at it again.

I've produced a new Visualisation that covers the full 136 Year history of the Six Nations / Five Nations / Home Nations Championship (from 1883!)

The Aim:
Produce a visual that could stand as a poster, providing detail of winners of the major trophies and successful eras of teams. Whilst also providing added interactivity to the online version, giving detail of matches and more nation specific annotations.

I also wanted to try and go away from your traditional sports viz and do something less dashboard-like and more data-art.

Check out the interactive version here:

https://public.tableau.com/views/SixNat ... VizHome=no

I've tried to pick out key moments in the championship, wish I had more time to add more comments to the individual nation views.

Did you know that BOTH England and France have been expelled from the Championship!?

Cheers

Sam
BathSalmon
Academy prospect

Re: The Full 136 Year History of the Six Nations - Visualisa

Mark from Stroud 12 Feb 2019 08:30 am said..

Just read this quote from Vernon Pugh when England were expelled. If only CVC have the same aims ...

But the WRFU's chairman, Vernon Pugh, who is also chairman of the Five Nations television committee, and his colleagues are men of principle.

"It is the strong view of the other unions that rugby people and the public have a right to see the top rugby competition in the northern hemisphere, or at least a very large part of it, shown live on TV without restrictions imposed by satellite and pay-per-view," Pugh said. "Rugby is a growing sport, which it is our duty to foster. Its growth and popularity is dependent on exposure of the best the game has to offer. Ireland, Scotland and Wales believe they share jointly in playing the championship. If we share the playing of a competition, it is fair that we share equally the proceeds from it."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/england-out-of-the-five-nations-1328755.html
Mark from Stroud
On the board

Biffo 12 Feb 2019 09:24 am said..

No idea if it's any good as the whole image doesn't display on my screen. ALso it looks as if there are some buttons off screen to the right, but there's no way of scrolling across to view them.
Biffo
On the board

Mark from Stroud 12 Feb 2019 09:39 am said..

Biffo wrote:No idea if it's any good as the whole image doesn't display on my screen. ALso it looks as if there are some buttons off screen to the right, but there's no way of scrolling across to view them.

I shrank the screen, but couldn't read it then :(
Mark from Stroud
On the board

Clive's Pants 12 Feb 2019 13:00 pm said..

If using a PC try 'Ctrl and +'/ 'Ctrl and -' to zoom in and out.
'Ctrl and 0' returns you to the original screen condition.
Clive's Pants
Hero in the making

BathSalmon 12 Feb 2019 14:27 pm said..

Thanks all,

Sorry about the size of it. I created it initially to be a Poster, for me to print and hang. Hence the size. Then I added interactivity to it as well.

For those wondering what it is, but don't want to link to find out:

It is interactive, so do click and have more of a poke around if you feel inquisitive!

Thanks

Sam
BathSalmon
Academy prospect

Mclaren547 12 Feb 2019 20:15 pm said..

Great chart SAM

Works fine on an iPad
Mclaren547
Academy prospect

Return to Gloucester Rugby