Israel Folau sacked by Rugby Australia

Re: Israel Folau sacked by Rugby Australia

ShedOrDead 14 Apr 2019 17:24 pm said..

I did write that suspecting that would be your response, CMCG! One cannot go through life ignoring everything. Each to their own opinions of course - that being the beauty of a forum - but I strongly suspect ignoring what Folou posted would do more to embolden the view, and I stand by all I posted. I would be interested to know if there is anything specific that you don't agree with.

Besides, he's Australia's best back and he agreed with his employers that he would lay off the Twitter-based fire and brimstone. If nothing else, it's a rugby story given who they may have to pick at 15 for the RWC.
ShedOrDead
On the board

CMGC 14 Apr 2019 21:42 pm said..

My views are irrelevant. I agree that IF has been unwise and may have breached terms of his contract. Those are down to him and RA. However you either want a world where people can be free to have views whatever you may think of them or one where " those who don't follow your views are silenced ". Intolerance never bodes well for any society. There are lots of well held beliefs out there I have nothing in common with but I would defend anyone to hold those opinions as long as they remain views that are not then acted upon in any way that physically affects other people. Education and awareness are far more powerfull ways forward.
CMGC

ShedOrDead 15 Apr 2019 06:08 am said..

I agree with the vast majority of that sentiment, CMGC.

You off to the Wuss match? Would be good to discuss this further over a pint, unless you've had enough of it of course!
ShedOrDead
On the board

Porky 15 Apr 2019 06:20 am said..

ShedOrDead wrote:I agree with the vast majority of that sentiment, CMGC.

You off to the Wuss match? Would be good to discuss this further over a pint, unless you've had enough of it of course!

Now, THAT is how discussions of huge import are discussed by rugby fans! :lol: :lol:

"Don't agree with me? Ah, let's have a pint"
Time you enjoy wasting is never wasted.
Porky
Hall of Famer

lovejoy 15 Apr 2019 06:24 am said..

CMGC wrote:My views are irrelevant. I agree that IF has been unwise and may have breached terms of his contract. Those are down to him and RA. However you either want a world where people can be free to have views whatever you may think of them or one where " those who don't follow your views are silenced ". Intolerance never bodes well for any society. There are lots of well held beliefs out there I have nothing in common with but I would defend anyone to hold those opinions as long as they remain views that are not then acted upon in any way that physically affects other people. Education and awareness are far more powerfull ways forward.

If there is any intolerance going on here it’s in the side of IF.
lovejoy
Hero in the making

Sheddy Mcshedface 15 Apr 2019 07:09 am said..

lovejoy wrote:
CMGC wrote:My views are irrelevant. I agree that IF has been unwise and may have breached terms of his contract. Those are down to him and RA. However you either want a world where people can be free to have views whatever you may think of them or one where " those who don't follow your views are silenced ". Intolerance never bodes well for any society. There are lots of well held beliefs out there I have nothing in common with but I would defend anyone to hold those opinions as long as they remain views that are not then acted upon in any way that physically affects other people. Education and awareness are far more powerfull ways forward.

If there is any intolerance going on here it’s in the side of IF.

To add to that tolerance of intolerable views is also asking for trouble.

I will repeat the point that most seem to be overlooking. Izzy isn't in trouble for having a point of view. He is in trouble for expressing it in a way which could be harmful to others.
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 15 Apr 2019 07:33 am said..

I must be missing something as I don’t see how his views are harmful to anyone. He hasn’t attempted to incite any action against these, what he believes, “sinners”.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

CMGC 15 Apr 2019 08:21 am said..

Kind offer S o D. Sadly I think I am away that W/E but always happy to have a chat with any fellow of a rugby bent. I guess I see a gulf between what I personally believe and how we should all respect each others very varriable views. I will duck back out from this debate as I suspect it has all been said.
CMGC

Glen Sannox 15 Apr 2019 08:37 am said..

Not1eyed, here's RA's view

'At its core, this is an issue of the responsibilities an employee owes to their employer and the commitments they make to their employer to abide by their employer’s policies and procedures and adhere to their employer’s values,” Rugby Australia said in a statement.

“Following the events of last year, Israel was warned formally and repeatedly about the expectations of him as player for the Wallabies and NSW Waratahs with regards to social media use and he has failed to meet those obligations. It was made clear to him that any social media posts or commentary that is in any way disrespectful to people because of their sexuality will result in disciplinary action.'

Employer warned him, the voices in his head told him to ignore that, he paid the price for his actions. Not rocket science. No-one told him to change his views, just explained that a condition of his employment that he needed to be careful on social media.

...and Michael Cheika's vew

“We had a discussion after the last time and made it pretty clear about his right to believe and our support in that, if that’s what he wants, to be part of the team,” Cheika added.

“But getting it out in that disrespectful manner publicly is not what our team is about.

“When you play in the gold jersey we represent everyone in Australia, everyone. Everyone that is out there supporting us, we don’t pick and choose.”
Cherchez la truffe
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 15 Apr 2019 09:15 am said..

Glen Sannox. Thanks for that. I understand that aspect of it. I suspect there is a way to run in this story as I’m sure some clever civil rights lawyer could make a case that RA are oppressing Falou freedom of speech if they do wish.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby