Israel Folau sacked by Rugby Australia

Re: Israel Folau sacked by Rugby Australia

James J 15 Apr 2019 09:56 am said..

Not1eyed wrote:I must be missing something as I don’t see how his views are harmful to anyone. He hasn’t attempted to incite any action against these, what he believes, “sinners”.

He’s a public figure and supposed role model for younger people. Imagine that you’re a young Australian struggling with your sexuality and you see one of your heroes tell you that you’re going to hell for something you have no choice over. That’s harmful.
James J
Vice-Captain

Not1eyed 15 Apr 2019 10:15 am said..

James J I should have made it clear I neither support or agree with Falous views.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Sheddy Mcshedface 15 Apr 2019 11:28 am said..

James J wrote:
Not1eyed wrote:I must be missing something as I don’t see how his views are harmful to anyone. He hasn’t attempted to incite any action against these, what he believes, “sinners”.

He’s a public figure and supposed role model for younger people. Imagine that you’re a young Australian struggling with your sexuality and you see one of your heroes tell you that you’re going to hell for something you have no choice over. That’s harmful.

Again, it is as much about how he has expressed his view that his harmful. Even if you allow for the fact that his brand of Christianity consider all people sinners of some sort or the other Izzy still chose to put gay people and atheists on the same list as thieves, adulterers and liars so it is clear that he considers them to be a particularly heinous type of sinner that is deserving of punishment in the afterlife. This is a point of view that has done damage to lives across the world. Look at Brunei were gay people are now to be stoned to death or look up gay conversion therapy which has traumatised countless people.
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

JamesK 15 Apr 2019 12:23 pm said..

I think Amnesty's views on Freedom of Speech are interesting in all of this.

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/free-speech- ... uman-right

Amnesty are quite into human rights but they see the need to limit freedom of speech. I don't think the majority of human rights lawyers will be up for defending Folau's freedom of expression in this.
JamesK
Vice-Captain

lucifer 15 Apr 2019 12:56 pm said..

I’m sure he’ll soon have as much freedom of speech as he desires - but not as a representative of a major international side and role model to thousands of kids.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

Crasher 15 Apr 2019 15:37 pm said..

Freedom of speech does not mean you can say whatever you want with no consequences.

You can’t freely use racist language for example.

Most companies have a code of conduct and you can legitimately be sacked if you break it.
Crasher
Vice-Captain

TP17 15 Apr 2019 17:43 pm said..

Saracens have released a statement that says they have given Billy V a formal warning for his comments on social media. Not even an apology from the player himself.
TP17
Hall of Famer

steckers 15 Apr 2019 18:15 pm said..

I can understand the fuss about Folau's comments but what has Vunipola said that actually causes offence? I understand many won't agree with his viewpoint but I think some of the stuff that i've heard generally comes close to religious discrimination.

On a slightly different note, I love the fact that rugby is so precious about inclusion and there is something very positive to say about the sport. I wonder if there would have been the same furore is this had been football. But inclusion works both ways.
steckers
Hall of Famer

tigerchef 15 Apr 2019 18:51 pm said..

Currently 2 professional football players are Gay. Zero rugby players.

I have attended many a briefing from the FA about Homophobia, online courses etc. This was all part of maintaining my Coaches badges. I haven't attended any RFU courses, but the only policy I can find is that Homophobic abuse will not be tolerated at HQ.

Whilst there is too much homophobia in football, at least they have the kick it out campaign, doing it's best. Rugby has nothing. About time the RFU showed some leadership.

Although it's another cheap shot at football, which continues to show how advanced it is in so many areas over rugby.
tigerchef
On the board

steckers 15 Apr 2019 19:03 pm said..

You mean 'openly' gay.
steckers
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby