Israel Folau sacked by Rugby Australia

Re: Israel Folau sacked by Rugby Australia

King Prawn Bhuna 16 Apr 2019 09:08 am said..

Not1eyed wrote:He apologised for any offence his beliefs have caused. That’s all he needs to do in my humble opinion. He’s entitled to his own beliefs and as the Saracens statement says his mistake was to make those beliefs public. If that is how he interprets “the word of god”then as far as I’m concerned that’s his right.
I’ll reiterate again I don’t agree with Billy V stance but I respect his right to his beliefs.

I agree he has a right to a personal opinion which should be allowed to make public ...but not to use his influence as a senior member of a professional club and international team for which his twitter account is loaded with images... for that he has been admonished and quite rightly so.

I still can't see which bit is the apology for his actions....i've reread it and still can't spot it. Can someone tell me which bit it is?
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

Peanutcoxy 16 Apr 2019 09:11 am said..

I’ve avoided this thread as I’m not really religious and don’t know enough about it to comment on that side of it. However, somewhere between the right to free speech and comments that are incredibly crass and offensive, a line has to be drawn. Wherever you sit on the debate, social media has changed the way the world sees and reacts to comment. Prejudices exist (and always have done) in colour, creed, sexuality and in many other walks of life. In a civilised society, someone has to decide what is acceptable or not and not everyone will agree with that decision. That is the essence of the freedoms you enjoy. Folau has crossed that decided upon line and Vunipola supports his right to do so. Both have paid the price for it at different levels. The fact you have this forum to comment is part of your freedoms. However, ‘moderators’ will still have to make a choice on what is acceptable or not and whether you like it or not, someone has to make that call.
The older I get the faster I was
Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer

steckers 16 Apr 2019 09:35 am said..

I'm one of the older gits who isn't terribly fond of social media. I would prefer if Glos players weren't on it - not that I've ever read anything that concerns me - but it's too easy to post something dumb, particularly aftera few drinks! (actually I have a vague recollection that Walkinshaw posted some offensive stuff a few years ago).

As I said earlier, and it was slightly tongue and cheek - when you have the most influential and powerful person in the world posting offensive stuff (and outright lies) and twitter - it's difficult to accept that sports people get held to a higher standard. is that relevant? Probably not but you will get my point.

Finally, maybe we should reserve our outrage in the first instance for actual actions. There are many examples of professional sports people committing vile acts (inc some at Glos over the years). I would argue these affect people more - I'm talking about drunken punch-ups, drink driving etc. I don't think I've ever seen any of them sacked.
steckers
Hall of Famer

lucifer 16 Apr 2019 09:44 am said..

Obviously IF wasn't on their case!
lucifer
Hall of Famer

My Old Boots 16 Apr 2019 09:55 am said..

Peanutcoxy wrote:I’ve avoided this thread as I’m not really religious and don’t know enough about it to comment on that side of it. However, somewhere between the right to free speech and comments that are incredibly crass and offensive, a line has to be drawn. Wherever you sit on the debate, social media has changed the way the world sees and reacts to comment. Prejudices exist (and always have done) in colour, creed, sexuality and in many other walks of life. In a civilised society, someone has to decide what is acceptable or not and not everyone will agree with that decision. That is the essence of the freedoms you enjoy. Folau has crossed that decided upon line and Vunipola supports his right to do so. Both have paid the price for it at different levels. The fact you have this forum to comment is part of your freedoms. However, ‘moderators’ will still have to make a choice on what is acceptable or not and whether you like it or not, someone has to make that call.

Hear hear.
My Old Boots
First team regular

steckers 16 Apr 2019 09:58 am said..

Who determines what is 'offensive'? Surely thats very subjective.
steckers
Hall of Famer

JamesK 16 Apr 2019 10:01 am said..

steckers wrote:Is he discriminating - or being discriminated? There is only one group being prevented from doing something.

What group are you referring to? Employees of Rugby Australia?
JamesK
Vice-Captain

Not1eyed 16 Apr 2019 10:09 am said..

Steckers has made 2 excellent points there.
1. Who decides what’s offensive? Using this forum as an example. Earlier in this thread someone, who has since gone on to post on this thread, suggested it should be locked but the moderators felt differently. That’s their subjective opinion so could be argued that they discriminated against the person who asked for it to be locked.
2. Lots of sports stars etc get caught drink driving having crashed cars or driving dangerously or get into scraps. Why do these criminal offences not result in dismissal as surely that must be against the values of their employers?
It’s a mine field really and there will always be inconsistencies.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Phill 16 Apr 2019 10:15 am said..

steckers wrote:Who determines what is 'offensive'? Surely thats very subjective.

I really do agree with this...
Partially meant 'tongue-in-cheek' but isn't taking offense just a personal opinion?

What Falou and Vunipola put out didn't offend me in the slightest, I'm no saint and can tick off several of the list, but stating hell and religion etc etc and I can see it for what it is, the mere personal beliefs of people who have zero input to my life. By all means have the belief, it's a personal choice, but also understand I don't.
Last edited by Phill on 16 Apr 2019 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phill
Vice-Captain

JamesK 16 Apr 2019 10:16 am said..

I don't think that either of those points is particularly relevant in this case.

1) Rugby Australia decided what was offensive and spelt it out to Folau when he was previously warned about his conduct.
2) Folau had previously been warned about his conduct but he committed the same offence again. That is likely to lead to dismissal.
JamesK
Vice-Captain
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby