Israel Folau sacked by Rugby Australia

Re: Israel Folau sacked by Rugby Australia

Not1eyed 16 Apr 2019 10:30 am said..

James K, sorry I’m probably not explaining myself very well. I’m not arguing against Falou’s dismissal that is RA call. I was merely trying to show that several players have kept there jobs after committing criminal offences and was wondering where people stood on that.
Posts: 1510
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Re: Israel Folau sacked by Rugby Australia

Glen Sannox 16 Apr 2019 10:49 am said..

In amongst his daft list, the one that no doubt offended his employers was the 'gay' bit. Attitudes to homosexuality have thankfully changed and for someone to say what he did was offensive to many people, gay or straight. The fact that no elite male rugby players have yet 'come out' shows that there's still a way to go, and the entire sport should be behind telling the world that people's sexuality really isn't an issue any more, and that they can be open about it without fear of being persecuted or ridiculed (or stoned to death if they live in Brunei).

Last year we went to the wedding of one of my wife's nephews. He and his husband spoke openly at the reception about the issues they'd faced with prejudice throughout their lives, and how their love for each other had helped them through that. Twenty years ago I think my attitude to attending a gay wedding might have been rather different, but I found it to be the most touching and emotional ceremony I've ever attended. I don't think that Folau or Vunipola would have enjoyed it!

Some time ago I queried the use of the word 'Queens' as a nickname for 'Quins...it still seems a bit old-fashioned and odd to me.
Cherchez la truffe
Posts: 2315
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

Re: Israel Folau sacked by Rugby Australia

Phill 16 Apr 2019 10:56 am said..

Glen Sannox wrote:
Some time ago I queried the use of the word 'Queens' as a nickname for 'Quins...it still seems a bit old-fashioned and odd to me.


GS - the nickname you describe, for me is absolutely nothing to do with sexuality etc etc etc...
For me, it is merely a play on words and nothing more, so as not to have to use their abbreviated name of Quins.
I can of course understand how others may see it as a play on sexuality, not for me.

The above isn't in any way admonishing you at all, merely stating my own understanding
Posts: 282
Phill
Vice-Captain

Re: Israel Folau sacked by Rugby Australia

JamesK 16 Apr 2019 11:04 am said..

Not1eyed wrote:James K, sorry I’m probably not explaining myself very well. I’m not arguing against Falou’s dismissal that is RA call. I was merely trying to show that several players have kept there jobs after committing criminal offences and was wondering where people stood on that.


And my point is that the punishment dished out to an unspecified different player of a different team for a different offence which they hadn't previously been warned about really ins't relevant to this case.
Posts: 363
JamesK
Vice-Captain

Re: Israel Folau sacked by Rugby Australia

JamesK 16 Apr 2019 11:08 am said..

I wouldn't use the "Queens" nickname for the reasons GS has stated (but I've never believed people have used it with the intention to offend anyone).
Posts: 363
JamesK
Vice-Captain

Re: Israel Folau sacked by Rugby Australia

Sheddy Mcshedface 16 Apr 2019 11:12 am said..

JamesK wrote:
Not1eyed wrote:James K, sorry I’m probably not explaining myself very well. I’m not arguing against Falou’s dismissal that is RA call. I was merely trying to show that several players have kept there jobs after committing criminal offences and was wondering where people stood on that.


And my point is that the punishment dished out to an unspecified different player of a different team for a different offence which they hadn't previously been warned about really ins't relevant to this case.


One also assumes that those who committed criminal offences were at least apologetic for their actions after the event.
Posts: 1745
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

Re: Israel Folau sacked by Rugby Australia

Not1eyed 16 Apr 2019 11:42 am said..

if Falou publicly apologises now would you be happy for him to be reinstated?
Posts: 1510
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Re: Israel Folau sacked by Rugby Australia

Sheddy Mcshedface 16 Apr 2019 11:46 am said..

if it's a genuine apology that shows he understands why equating gay people and atheists with criminals is inherently wrong then there should be a pathway back to rugby for him.

If it is a politicians non-apology where he says sorry if anyone feels upset about what he said then the situation can stand.
Posts: 1745
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

Re: Israel Folau sacked by Rugby Australia

Not1eyed 16 Apr 2019 12:02 pm said..

Fair enough. Not sure I 100% agree but I do understand where you are coming from
Posts: 1510
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Re: Israel Folau sacked by Rugby Australia

Sheddy Mcshedface 16 Apr 2019 12:16 pm said..

as in you don't think he should be able to come back?
Posts: 1745
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Agent Grim, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 5 guests