RWC Officials

RWC Officials

GlawsyD 16 May 2019 07:37 am said..

World Rugby has announced the squad of 23 match officials selected to take charge of the 48 matches at Rugby World Cup 2019 in Japan, which runs from 20 September 2019-2 November 2019.

‘Team 21’ – the 21st tournament team – comprises 12 referees, seven assistant referees and four Television Match Officials (TMOs) representing nine nations.

With significant strength in depth in international officiating, the team has been selected on merit after a comprehensive review of performances over the last four international windows, and features an exciting and strong blend of experience and youth.

Referees (12): Wayne Barnes (England), Luke Pearce (England), Jérôme Garcès (France), Romain Poite (France), Pascal Gaüzère (France), Mathieu Raynal (France), Nigel Owens (Wales), Jaco Peyper (South Africa), Ben O’Keeffe (New Zealand), Paul Williams (New Zealand), Nic Berry (Australia) and Angus Gardner (Australia). 457 tests as referees

Assistant referees (seven): Matthew Carley (England, reserve referee), Karl Dickson (England), Andrew Brace (Ireland), Brendon Pickerill (New Zealand), Federico Anselmi (Argentina), Shuhei Kubo (Japan) and Alex Ruiz (France) – 130 tests as assistant referees

TMOs (four): Graham Hughes (England), Rowan Kitt (England), Ben Skeen (New Zealand) and Marius Jonker (South Africa) – 217 tests as TMOs. (Only 4 TMOs seems a bit light to me or they will be very, very busy in the opening rounds).

Wayne Barnes and Nigel Owens are selected for their fourth consecutive Rugby World Cup as referees, while Luke Pearce, Mathieu Raynal, Ben O’Keeffe, Nic Berry and Angus Gardner are making their Rugby World Cup debut.

I wonder if Joy Neville will make it to the 2023 tournament?
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
GlawsyD
Hall of Famer

Re: RWC Officials

Beddis 16 May 2019 07:47 am said..

Quite how Peyper is a referee, let alone going to the World Cup is completely beyond me. His games are always a mess and I've no doubt he will be awful again in Japan
Posts: 4171  Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney
Beddis

Number8 16 May 2019 08:04 am said..

Beddis wrote:Quite how Peyper is a referee, let alone going to the World Cup is completely beyond me. His games are always a mess and I've no doubt he will be awful again in Japan

I thought you were going to say the same about all 23 officials
Number8
Vice-Captain

Glossince86 16 May 2019 08:46 am said..

Beddis wrote:Quite how Peyper is a referee, let alone going to the World Cup is completely beyond me. His games are always a mess and I've no doubt he will be awful again in Japan

How on earth is Matthew Carley on there, even as a reserve referee!
Last edited by Glossince86 on 16 May 2019 09:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Glossince86
On the board

stuartjames 16 May 2019 09:44 am said..

No Glen Jackson, he always seemed very good when I've seen him on the TV
stuartjames
Hall of Famer

stevieb 16 May 2019 11:15 am said..

Number8 wrote:

I thought you were going to say the same about all 23 officials

I think Beddis just stuck a pin in the page and picked one :D ;)
stevieb
Hall of Famer

vitesse 17 May 2019 09:35 am said..

My issue is with Karl Dickson - how the £$%& is he on this list..?
Is it 2 or 3 seasons as a prem ref, now an international official...! Ridiculous.....
Posts: 327  Location: Alicante Province, within easy reach of the airport......!
vitesse
Vice-Captain

Gb83 17 May 2019 09:42 am said..

vitesse wrote:My issue is with Karl Dickson - how the £$%& is he on this list..?
Is it 2 or 3 seasons as a prem ref, now an international official...! Ridiculous.....

I thought he’s officiated really well this year, if you’re good enough after 2 or 3 years then why not give him the opportunity.
Gb83
Hall of Famer

vitesse 17 May 2019 09:47 am said..

Gb83 wrote:
vitesse wrote:My issue is with Karl Dickson - how the £$%& is he on this list..?

I thought he’s officiated really well this year, if you’re good enough after 2 or 3 years then why not give him the opportunity.

Let's see if he'll be an 'assistant' or just a touch judge.....
Posts: 327  Location: Alicante Province, within easy reach of the airport......!
vitesse
Vice-Captain

Gb83 17 May 2019 10:15 am said..

vitesse wrote:
Gb83 wrote:

Let's see if he'll be an 'assistant' or just a touch judge.....

Still a good opportunity for him
Gb83
Hall of Famer
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby