Team V Sharks

Re: Team V Sharks

Peanutcoxy 17 May 2019 15:19 pm said..

Theotherjonny wrote:Are there many making the trip? I'm going because I've missed the last 2 home games due to other (rugby) commitments :oops:

Watching on the TV doesn’t count John!!
The older I get the faster I was
Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer

Biffo 17 May 2019 15:29 pm said..

Peanutcoxy wrote:
Theotherjonny wrote:Are there many making the trip? I'm going because I've missed the last 2 home games due to other (rugby) commitments :oops:

It's not on TV
Biffo
On the board

Peanutcoxy 17 May 2019 15:40 pm said..

Biffo wrote:
Peanutcoxy wrote:

It's not on TV

Last 2 home games Biffo. Try not to be too picky, John knows what I mean
The older I get the faster I was
Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer

grunter 17 May 2019 15:53 pm said..

Mark from Stroud wrote:The other lot:

15.Chris Ashton; 14.Denny Solomona, 13.Sam James, 12.James O’Connor, 11.Byron McGuigan; 10.AJ MacGinty, 9.Faf de Klerk; 1.Ross Harrison, 2.Rob Webber, 3.WillGriff John, 4.Josh Beaumont, 5.James Phillips, 6.Ben Curry, 7.Tom Curry, 8.Jono Ross (capt.)

Replacements: 16.Curtis Langdon, 17.Valerey Morozov, 18.Joe Jones, 19.Bryn Evans, 20.Josh Strauss, 21.Will Cliff, 22.Luke James, 23.Arron Reed.

Why aren't they taking us seriously, thinking they can see us off with such a weak squad. :lol:
grunter
On the board

TOBIAS 17 May 2019 16:04 pm said..

We will be thrashed but it won t matter unless it has a morale factor on the main squad
TOBIAS
Hero in the making

Gloucester Mute 17 May 2019 16:19 pm said..

Whilst many GRFC supporters don't seem to care about the side selected @ Sale I am not ashamed to say I do. Why ??

Because I think it's a mistake to go into our Semi-Final with many players having "rested" for the previous 2 matches. Last match-time (which is not replicated in training) will have been on 4th May. The SF will be on 25th May - a 3-week gap. For me that is too long a gap except for those nursing injuries. We will "be cold". I remember the 3 week gap when Wasps "stuffed us" @ Twickenham.

I don't think we are being very respectful to the other Premiership teams - those vying for HC positions. You can bet your bottom dollar that if GRFC were in the positions of teams in 4th-8th we would be livid that Sale are only facing a mainly 2nd string side.

Confidence, squad spirit and momentum are very important. How confidence-making will it be if we end up with a battering in Salford ?? How will those being sent as relative "cannon-fodder" feel about their squad-mates being wrapped in cotton-wool ?? Will the non-players be travelling up to Sale in support of their mates ?? What momentum can be maintained within the whole squad/supporters ahead of SF if many don't actually play ??

Sarries had a very hard match last Saturday. We didn't play at all. Now they can rest those players - players whom have earned confidence, squad spirit and momentum from winning the HC.

No doubt cue ridicule from those who don't really know their rugby BUT this approach does not make any sense to me and is inviting trouble ahead. A short-term and long-term mistake IMHO.
Last edited by Gloucester Mute on 17 May 2019 16:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 1385  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Still Realistic 17 May 2019 16:27 pm said..

As ever GM you are entitled to state your opinion and you have done it without resorting to slagging off other posters which is great. I think you make some valid points too and over the next couple of weeks you may actually be proved to be right. However I'm sure that JA has given this plenty of thought and come to the decision he has and will hold his hands up if it doesn't work out. No one is perfect GM, not you, me or JA!
Still Realistic
Hall of Famer

Baz 17 May 2019 16:34 pm said..

I love the fact that Ackermann is messing with Diamond Geezers head. He can study all the film of Gloucesters games he likes but he won’t find one relating to this 23. I would have liked a tougher front row but other than that, I can’t argue. A few leavers who want to finish on a high, some frustrated players wanting to prove a point and some first choices back from injury. I don’t expect a win but a headache for Stevie boy will do.
Baz
Hall of Famer

BullShed 17 May 2019 16:36 pm said..

Mixed views on this, but we are effectively in a dead rubber situation from our point of view, and I think the risk of injury to a front line player ahead of next week far outweighs the other arguments. We, of course, have no responsibility to assist other teams at this stage of the season- frankly if they are still battling for position below us, that's their look out. Would expect no favours were the roles reversed.

I can only imagine the outcry if, say, Cips, 36, Mostert, Willi, Ruan or one of the front row were injured against a Sale team likely to be going full throttle tomorrow.

The other thing to bear in mind is that tomorrow is valuable further experience for some of the younger members of the squad, a good opportunity to look at a couple of options in the centres, a fitting finale to Sav's Glaws career and a welcome return for the missing in action lock.

EAW
BullShed
First team regular

Tump 17 May 2019 16:41 pm said..

Yes its a valid argument but was the loss at Wasps just about resting too much ?
International teams often fire up in the first game of a competition pretty well with nowt but limited practise sessions beforehand.
Or was it more an issue with the mental approach ? Will Johan be able to manage that better? Does this squad have a better mindset than the one that failed v Wasps.

Playing Saracens away means the odds are stacked heavily against a win so you will never know if one or the other approach is the reason for a loss.
Tump
Vice-Captain
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby