Semi Final Team

Re: Semi Final Team

Forrester 19 May 2019 08:56 am said..

VRR
Marais
Balmain
Mostert
Slater
Ackermann
Morgan
Kriel
Heinz
Cips
Sharples (Thorley if fit)
Atkinson
Twelvetrees
Marshall
Woodward

Hohneck
Sherry
Dreyer
Grobler
Polledri
Braley
Evans
Banahan (Sharples)

Tough on Hohneck but I think we need VRR’s power from the off.
Posts: 1090
Forrester
Hall of Famer

Re: Semi Final Team

RTS2 19 May 2019 09:07 am said..

If Slater is 100 percent fit and I mean 100 % ; then I would bring him on at 50 mins but for me Grobler should start alongside his South African mate . I just think he would add another dimension and actually these two both play like back - rowers in the loose . This match will be played in warmer temperatures and we need to keep it tight in the set - piece , but play at immense momentum when the match opens up . IMO we need to open the match out ASAP .

For me Ludlow and Polledri both on the bench . I wouldn’t take a back up 10. Billy is capable . Banners experience is maybe best backup backs cover . He does the job when asked . Cover at 9 needed and at 2 and Prop . The bench selection. Is as crucial as the starting XV. I just like the idea of back 5 forward momentum . It defines Akers style and if it’s warm it will pay - off IMO.
Posts: 3701
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Re: Semi Final Team

Glos1012 19 May 2019 09:52 am said..

For me Marshall over sharples, just seems a bit more composed than Charlie.

VRR
Marais
Balmain
Slater
Mostert
Polledri
Kriel
Morgan
Heinz
Cipriani
Thorley
Atkinson
Twelvetrees
Marshall
Woodward
Posts: 465
Glos1012
Vice-Captain

Re: Semi Final Team

Opportunist 19 May 2019 11:08 am said..

I expect Ackermann to continue with the first choice 15, with the only questions being who’s fit.

However, I think there’s an argument for playing Mostert at 6 with Grobler and Slater in the second row and Ackermann at 7. Last week all the talk was about how we need to match Saracens’ physicality in order to beat them, and I think that would be our most physical pack. It would certainly be harsh on Kriel who’s been great for us, but on the other hand it would also shield him from their pitch, as we did against Worcester.
Posts: 860
Opportunist
On the board

Re: Semi Final Team

Fat Taff 19 May 2019 11:16 am said..

RTS2 wrote:If Slater is 100 percent fit and I mean 100 % ; then I would bring him on at 50 mins but for me Grobler should start alongside his South African mate . I just think he would add another dimension and actually these two both play like back - rowers in the loose . This match will be played in warmer temperatures and we need to keep it tight in the set - piece , but play at immense momentum when the match opens up . IMO we need to open the match out ASAP .

For me Ludlow and Polledri both on the bench . I wouldn’t take a back up 10. Billy is capable . Banners experience is maybe best backup backs cover . He does the job when asked . Cover at 9 needed and at 2 and Prop . The bench selection. Is as crucial as the starting XV. I just like the idea of back 5 forward momentum . It defines Akers style and if it’s warm it will pay - off IMO.


Slater's got to start ahead of Grobler, in terms of leadership and brain, he's on a different level.
Posts: 4119
Fat Taff
Hall of Famer

Re: Semi Final Team

Peanutcoxy 19 May 2019 11:56 am said..

Fat Taff wrote:
RTS2 wrote:If Slater is 100 percent fit and I mean 100 % ; then I would bring him on at 50 mins but for me Grobler should start alongside his South African mate . I just think he would add another dimension and actually these two both play like back - rowers in the loose . This match will be played in warmer temperatures and we need to keep it tight in the set - piece , but play at immense momentum when the match opens up . IMO we need to open the match out ASAP .

For me Ludlow and Polledri both on the bench . I wouldn’t take a back up 10. Billy is capable . Banners experience is maybe best backup backs cover . He does the job when asked . Cover at 9 needed and at 2 and Prop . The bench selection. Is as crucial as the starting XV. I just like the idea of back 5 forward momentum . It defines Akers style and if it’s warm it will pay - off IMO.


Slater's got to start ahead of Grobler, in terms of leadership and brain, he's on a different level.

Maybe true but what a great position to be in when you have 2 guys like this; and Sav. Mostert is a given
The older I get the faster I was
Posts: 1508  Location: Brockworth
Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer

Re: Semi Final Team

Chalker 19 May 2019 12:18 pm said..

There is a case to ask if GR play left and right, open and blind or bot, in the back row? Once that is established perhaps posters will select their chosen team, and bench, appropriately.
Posts: 1655
Chalker
Hall of Famer

Re: Semi Final Team

spanish exile 19 May 2019 23:00 pm said..

To be in with a chance we will have to play almost the perfect game regardless of who is selected. For me if everyone is fit the side picks itself but Ludlow misses out from a 5/3 bench split as he just seems (probably an unfair perception) to give pens away.
I will be watching from behind my sofa with everything crossed!
Posts: 322
spanish exile
Vice-Captain

Re: Semi Final Team

Glen Sannox 20 May 2019 06:31 am said..

While I hope for a win, and don't think it's out of the question, I'm focusing on the fact that this season has been a tremendous success. Looking back to before the season started, most of us would have been content if we'd earned Champions Cup rugby again, with top four an ambitious target. In the end we proved to be the third best team in the most competitive league in world rugby, and played some great rugby along the way.

Whatever happens on Saturday I think it has been a great season, and with DH/JA in charge we can hope for even better to come. Well done to MStQ and SV for getting the right structure in place.

As for the team for Saturday: JA knows what it will be, and in him we trust - I don't think I can help him do better!
Cherchez la truffe
Posts: 2303
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

Re: Semi Final Team

foresterinyorks 20 May 2019 06:59 am said..

Glen Sannox wrote:While I hope for a win, and don't think it's out of the question, I'm focusing on the fact that this season has been a tremendous success. Looking back to before the season started, most of us would have been content if we'd earned Champions Cup rugby again, with top four an ambitious target. In the end we proved to be the third best team in the most competitive league in world rugby, and played some great rugby along the way.

Whatever happens on Saturday I think it has been a great season, and with DH/JA in charge we can hope for even better to come. Well done to MStQ and SV for getting the right structure in place.

As for the team for Saturday: JA knows what it will be, and in him we trust - I don't think I can help him do better!


I'll second that wit alacrity.
Never Stay Down.
Posts: 1661  Location: North Yorkshire
foresterinyorks
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beddis, Bing [Bot], coleser, covglaws, gmorgan131285, Here for Beer, Ken Burney, Original Tetley and 32 guests