Some coaches just have it

Some coaches just have it

Baylion 19 May 2019 17:55 pm said..

I don't know what you call it but they can take a team from also-rans to performers

Razor Robertson took over a star-studded squad at the Crusaders that couldn't win a title in 8 years under Todd Blackadder and made them winners

Ackers built the Lions from nothing to Super Rugby contenders with a bunch of rejects and now took Glaws from perennial mid-tablers to play-offs in two years without a single England regular

What makes these coaches different?
Baylion
Hero in the making

Re: Some coaches just have it

robs1 19 May 2019 19:47 pm said..

communication is the word that covers it I think, being able to get over the plan to the squad in a way they not only know what it is but get on board and totally believe, in the UUK we had a football coach called Brian Clough, he could be quite abrupt at times but he built a european cup winning team from a bunch of mainly journymen players, they just played so much better than they did for other teams thay had played for.
When I listen to JA talk he comes across as a really nice guy and someone who you could listen to for a long time, its a knack although natural and Glos are very lucky to have him
robs1
Hall of Famer

Stretch61 19 May 2019 20:57 pm said..

As well as the technical know how, I think the key thing is people management.
Everything thing I hear about JA suggests that he knows how to manage, motivate, support and get the best out of people.
He appears to have built a strong trust culture, he trusts players to play what’s in front of them, players trust him and I believe also each other which is key.
He has the team playing with a ‘smile on their face’. Long may it continue!
Stretch61
Senior squad member

homer 19 May 2019 21:08 pm said..

robs1 wrote:communication is the word that covers it I think, being able to get over the plan to the squad in a way they not only know what it is but get on board and totally believe, in the UUK we had a football coach called Brian Clough, he could be quite abrupt at times but he built a european cup winning team from a bunch of mainly journymen players, they just played so much better than they did for other teams thay had played for.
When I listen to JA talk he comes across as a really nice guy and someone who you could listen to for a long time, its a knack although natural and Glos are very lucky to have him

When you say we are lucky to have him, remember it was the management that recognised what a gem he is and offered him the opportunity to come here. Better to say we are lucky he took the offer ;). Credit to those that recognised his talent, long may he remain :D .
homer
Vice-Captain

Asgard 20 May 2019 08:47 am said..

I think Danny Cipriani helped, too!

As regards Management don't forget they also appointed Lawrie Fisher.
Asgard
Hall of Famer

King Prawn Bhuna 20 May 2019 08:57 am said..

One of the best things about the Sale game was that you could have been watching any of the players of the squad in that game. It was exactly the same as if DC was there or Mostert and Kriel were there...Banahan continues to be a revelation under JA. Brilliant stuff from him and his team.
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

Ken Burney 20 May 2019 09:03 am said..

For me, Banahan was a big disappointment in the first half of the season. Maybe he was trying too hard in a new environment. He made a lot of errors, particularly in his handling.

However, he has improved as the season has progressed. In my view, he is now an important squad member. Hopefully, he is passing on his considerable experience to those around him.
Ken Burney
Hall of Famer

Steve M 20 May 2019 09:30 am said..

Strangely, I think Banahan has looked a whole lot better since he has not been playing on the wing. :?
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Steve M
Hall of Famer

Asgard 20 May 2019 10:33 am said..

So right, Ken - MB is constantly helping the young ones on the pitch and whilst he's lost some of his pace he's still a dangerous player. Players make mistakes but good players always make the right decisions and I think that MB is very much a good player.
Asgard
Hall of Famer

Oldprop 20 May 2019 10:57 am said..

Asgard wrote:I think Danny Cipriani helped, too!

As regards Management don't forget they also appointed Lawrie Fisher.

It wasn't the current management.
Oldprop
Hall of Famer
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby