Premiership player recruitment

Premiership player recruitment

Porky 21 May 2019 05:27 am said..

I know Gloucester has its fair share of South African players (and fantastic they all are) but the sheer number of players from South Africa being signed (Ruan Botha has just signed for London Irish) makes me wonder how many quality Springbok candidates are still playing in South Africa.
Time you enjoy wasting is never wasted.
Porky
Hall of Famer

Re: Premiership player recruitment

CMGC 21 May 2019 09:09 am said..

Quite agree. It is not good for SA regional rugby and not good for the game in general. I have no problem with a number of top players moving about but the game is better served by the younger talents being evenly spread around the globe. It is time WR took a view on requesting Unions to do more to encourage/ enforce this.
CMGC

SonofPricey 21 May 2019 09:27 am said..

Restriction of trade; Kolpak agreements and freedom of movement all come into this though.

If you are a young South African, South Sea Islander or even a young English player who can earn more money somewhere else for doing the same job you would do it. I agree it's not great for South African rugby in the short term that so many players are playing abroad - however you could argue that their experiences and exposure to other rugby cultures, coaching etc will end up being a long term benefit.
SonofPricey
Vice-Captain

King Prawn Bhuna 21 May 2019 09:31 am said..

Brexit and the end of the Kopak status (extended by the RFU until next year?) is going to change the landscape for many in the UK . But with ZAR being a whipping boy currency and the unappetising political landscape many will still turn to Japan and France in the next few years to ply their trade .
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

CMGC 21 May 2019 09:32 am said..

There are ways around this.
You can heavily subscribe the number of players in a team/ squad need to be from the home nation. That doesn't stop any overseas player from being recruited. Playing elswhere is of possible benefit to the individual but does nothing for a team or nation.
CMGC

CMGC 21 May 2019 09:34 am said..

I don't doubt you are correct KPB . However WR need to ensure the all nations step up to the plate. If the SA Union needs support then provide it.
CMGC

Baylion 21 May 2019 16:50 pm said..

A comprehensive list of all the players and coaches set to leave the South African Vodacom Super Rugby and Pro14 franchises at the end of the current season.

Vodacom Bulls players out:

Handré Pollard (Montpellier, France)
Jesse Kriel (Canon Eagles, Japan)
Lood de Jager (Sale Sharks, England)
RG Snyman (Honda Heat, Japan)
Jason Jenkins (Canon Eagles, Japan)
Hanro Liebenberg (Leicester Tigers, England)
Eli Snyman (Treviso, Italy)
Hendré Stassen (Stade Français, France)

Cheetahs coaches/players out:

Franco Smith (Italy)

Kings players out:

Michael Willemse (Edinburgh, Scotland)

Lions players out:

Stephan Lewies (Harlequins, England)

Sharks players out:

Rob du Preez (Sale Sharks, England)
*Jean Luc du Preez (Sale Sharks, England)
*Dan du Preez (Sale Sharks, England)
Akker van der Merwe (Sale Sharks, England)
Coenie Oosthuizen (Sale Sharks, England)
Ruan Botha (London Irish, England)

Stormers players out:

Eben Etzebeth (Toulon, France)
SP Marais (Canon Eagles, Japan)

*Denotes short-term loans

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/sa-player-exodus-the-list/

The Lions and Stormers fans are still waiting with bated breaths to see who they are losing

Excluding this year's recruitment:

Springboks playing abroad

South Africans playing abroad
Baylion
Hero in the making

Lewi7 21 May 2019 17:00 pm said..

I recall John Smit talking about this not so long ago - he reckoned that across the 3 pro leagues in Europe there is/was 500 plus professional South African players, which included the second tier pro teams in England & France.

The number is growing too, the £ & € against the Rand is very lucrative; the safety, crime etc another factor.

Some Unions have specific programs to "lure" uncapped overseas players away from their home country to create depth which also encourages player movement.
Posts: 3532  Location: Back in the 'Shire, how long for I wonder ?
Lewi7

Baylion 21 May 2019 17:19 pm said..

Lewi7 wrote:I recall John Smit talking about this not so long ago - he reckoned that across the 3 pro leagues in Europe there is/was 500 plus professional South African players, which included the second tier pro teams in England & France.

The number is growing too, the £ & € against the Rand is very lucrative; the safety, crime etc another factor.

Some Unions have specific programs to "lure" uncapped overseas players away from their home country to create depth which also encourages player movement.

Euro scouts attend the u18 Craven Week to sign schoolboy players, Montpellier has formed some form of partnership with Grey College, one of SA's top rugby schools
Baylion
Hero in the making

CMGC 22 May 2019 08:00 am said..

This rot needs to be stopped by WR. There needs to be a set of rules brought in to prevent SA/ Pacific Island and other areas having their talent stripped away by the established nations. Rugby will be stuck in the dark ages otherwise.
CMGC
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby