Teams Up

Re: Teams Uo

King Prawn Bhuna 24 May 2019 12:36 pm said..

Back to the plastic pitch...is it similar to the hard pitches back in RSA for Ackermann.... does he know more about the team and selection or is this a new environment to him and still learning?
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

LowerO 24 May 2019 14:31 pm said..

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:Back to the plastic pitch...is it similar to the hard pitches back in RSA for Ackermann.... does he know more about the team and selection or is this a new environment to him and still learning?

And I imagine that they've been training hard for the last three weeks on the plastic at Hartpury. Most of the team didn't have the distraction of the Sale game so it should have been a totally plastic time!

Re Marshall and fullback - it's been stated here that he prefers wing and Woodward prefers fullback
LowerO
Vice-Captain

RTS2 24 May 2019 14:39 pm said..

As I posted elsewhere ; the plastic pitch will suit us fine !.....

We have to keep possession when we get hold of the ball and play with precision and at pace. Sarries won't wan't to cough up ball either ; especially from unforced errors . We have one of the best platforms in the set-piece area now and they will know this and in some ways that add's pressure on them ; so we need to get into them at try and force errors without giving any stupid penalties away.

The last 20 minutes will be very interesting if we are within 7 points of them and with Ludlow and Polledri to come on we can afford to play at maximum pace throughout the match. Break down could be very interesting and scrum time also looking at the relative experience and strengths of the front rows on each bench. I do think that in the backs we can match them man for man; but we don't want to spend more than half of the match defending .

If the game opens -up enough we are in with a very strong shout of causing an upset. We have to take the initiative and create opportunities to ensure the game does open up .
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Re: Teams Up

SirHenry 24 May 2019 15:43 pm said..

I believe this game will hinge on how effective we are countering Sarries defence which dominated Leinster last week and stopping Billy V on the gain line.

Both easier said than done.
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living
SirHenry
On the board

TheOptimistSenior 24 May 2019 16:26 pm said..

SirHenry wrote:I believe this game will hinge on how effective we are countering Sarries defence which dominated Leinster last week and stopping Billy V on the gain line.

Both easier said than done.

Agree Sir Henry.
Sarries defensive line was incredibly quick, moving up to give Leinster no room. The other area we have to win is the collisions. Leinster were unable to win most of the collisions when they were attacking and consequently had no front foot ball. Sarries will also want to slow down the beakdown, so that we cannot play our fast moving game - Glaws will have to clear the rucks extremely efficiently and the referee should stand no nonsense from Sarries there, either. (We, on the other hand will be allowed to slow their ball as we please ;) )
Unfortunately will not be there, nor able to watch live, but will be quietly urging Glaws on at 1.30 tomorrow.
Well done to all going - turn thier ground C&W and drown them out with 80 minutes of noise!
C'mon Glaws!
TheOptimistSenior
Vice-Captain

Baz 24 May 2019 17:57 pm said..

If I had one criticism of Ackermann this season it would be the use of Grobler. The guy is a master at the lineout and although I wouldn’t start with him, I would finish with him. Savage will give it everything but he doesn’t have the presence of GG. Of course in Ackermann we trust, blah blah blah and he’s eminently better than anyone else at picking a side to win..... but I see what I see and I also acknowledge the reasons why...... but this is the most important game of Ackemanns reign and we need any edge we can get.
Baz
Hall of Famer

RTS2 24 May 2019 18:14 pm said..

Baz wrote:If I had one criticism of Ackermann this season it would be the use of Grobler. The guy is a master at the lineout and although I wouldn’t start with him, I would finish with him. Savage will give it everything but he doesn’t have the presence of GG. Of course in Ackermann we trust, blah blah blah and he’s eminently better than anyone else at picking a side to win..... but I see what I see and I also acknowledge the reasons why...... but this is the most important game of Ackemanns reign and we need any edge we can get.

I would second that one Baz. I did wonder if their was some kidologly in this selection as IF Slater does actually start tomorrow (and he must surely be 100 % fit to do so ??) , then GG's exclusion must have been a very difficult decision -arguably the hardest decision to make. It's a brave call to leave him out of the squad and as I posted the other day he along with Ludlow and Polledri off the bench would have been like us playing with 5 back rower's for the last 25 minutes or so.

IF for any reason Slater isn't 100 % fit tomorrow in the gym then I would imagine GG would start with Sav still on the bench ; but one must assume that Ed is fit for selection as anything less than him being 100% fit and starting would be a disaster and too high a gamble to take . Can't see Ackers taking that kind of risk at the expense of leaving out Grobler ; who to me ouses energy and class on the pitch in every aspect of his game .

GG has been a bit of a mystery this season .....but with Sav leaving next season he must surely ( even with Linsell's signing )be going to feature a lot more.
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Geoffy 24 May 2019 18:23 pm said..

RTS2 wrote:Can't see Ackers taking that kind of risk at the expense of leaving out Grobler ; who to me ouses energy and class on the pitch in every aspect of his game .

Let's hope our Dee is good and we show them no Mersey.
Geoffy
Vice-Captain

SirHenry 24 May 2019 18:43 pm said..

Will certainly be a stern test but I'm sure the boys are itchen to get stuck in
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living
SirHenry
On the board

robs1 24 May 2019 18:55 pm said..

We have an advantage in seeing how they defended in the euro final, I'm sure DC has some ideas how to get round it
robs1
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby