Ryan Lamb

Re: Ryan Lamb

kingsholmmick 11 Jun 2019 08:44 am said..

Tinhat on ... I always felt he was one of those that never really fulfilled his potential (bit like greening). However I wish him well in whatever he does next.
kingsholmmick
Hero in the making

Steve M 11 Jun 2019 09:08 am said..

kingsholmmick wrote:Tinhat on ... I always felt he was one of those that never really fulfilled his potential (bit like greening). However I wish him well in whatever he does next.

Dont really do stats as they dont always tell the whole story but a 'wikipedia' search reveals that Phil played 130 Premiership matches over 11 years, had 24 England caps including World Cup Squad, went on a Lions tour to Oz, International 7s as well, before packing it in as a result of an injury. Not too bad a career ?

+1 and you didn't even mention Natalie Imbruglia ;)
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Steve M
Hall of Famer

kingsholmmick 11 Jun 2019 17:35 pm said..

Fair enough point well made steve, more caps than I remembered. I just thought lamb became a bit of a journeyman really. At one point I thought he would win a lot of caps and become a top player in the prem.
kingsholmmick
Hero in the making

Harrison26 11 Jun 2019 17:57 pm said..

Kingsholm Mick, I agree with you there. He always did show a lot of promise with us, but like others, moved on to improve his game/ achieve honours and it actually doing the opposite almost. I always remember a few seasons back when Austin said on BT that Lamb had the potential to be a fantastic player but that he never seemed to show the same level of dedication as other players. Harsh, perhaps, but probably a fair comment upon reflection
Harrison26
Senior squad member

lucifer 11 Jun 2019 18:39 pm said..

Harrison, I think he moved on because he got on the wrong side of Dean Ryan who effectively froze him out.
lucifer
Hall of Famer

Crasher 11 Jun 2019 18:42 pm said..

Should’ve been a 9 IMO, but had a decent career regardless
Crasher
Vice-Captain

shedwebadmin 11 Jun 2019 19:43 pm said..

Could have ushered in a new wave of English kicking 9s, who knows where English rugby would be now?

Oh. France. Second thoughts..

Just looking back at that whole slew of wunderkinds we had then, we could/should have made up the whole English back line, with Lamb, Allen, Sinbad (Jack Adams), Bailey, Foster & Morgan.. good times.
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
shedwebadmin
Site Admin

Noobs 12 Jun 2019 10:56 am said..

A great club player, and so exciting to watch especially in his first few seasons. England was certainly a step too far, and he was unlucky to play against Alesana Tuilagi in his prime.

Very strange for me personally as he is/was probably the only professional player I've actually played against! At 32 I'm probably unlikely to break into the Gloucester 1st team...
Noobs
Senior squad member
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby