'Steady' Eddie 'till 2021

'Steady' Eddie 'till 2021

GlawsyD 15 Jun 2019 13:35 pm said..

Eddie Jones and assistant John Mitchell are set to continue as England's coaching team until at least summer 2021 after the Rugby Football Union abandoned its previous succession plan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/48624014
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
GlawsyD
Hall of Famer

Re: 'Steady' Eddie 'till 2021

Not1eyed 15 Jun 2019 14:06 pm said..

Good news!
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

shedwebber 15 Jun 2019 14:21 pm said..

If I'm being selfish, as an Ireland fan, it means little progression for England and as a club man, it means losing fewer players from Gloucester. However, as a Gloucester fan, I cannot believe that EJ is so mono-dimensional in his thinking that he doesn't include DC as a valuable player in his squad. Perhaps he just want automatons who will play predictable rugby in a very rigid manner rather than creative and inventive 10's who may just exploit opportunities as they arrive and maybe create a bit of magic of their own. I wonder what else other Gloucester players would have to do to earn promotion to the squad, for example Ben Morgan......
Éire go Brách!
shedwebber
Hero in the making

MrGlawsRocker 15 Jun 2019 14:43 pm said..

Well Gloucester will keep a full roster during the international season for a while longer.
In Ackermann we Trust.
MrGlawsRocker
On the board

Chico 15 Jun 2019 15:24 pm said..

Does the abandonment of the succession plan have anything to do with Gatland recently explicitly stating he won’t be coaching England...?
Chico
First team regular

King Prawn Bhuna 15 Jun 2019 20:00 pm said..

I personally don’t see how a negative EJ is good news for the longer term and succession planning of the England team. He held on to his old guard for too long for this RWC and has very little except Marcus Smith in his development plans. It smacks of too much compo to get him out ....I’m all behind England for Japan but really not holding my breath for a great run in the competition.
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

steckers 15 Jun 2019 20:34 pm said..

I don't really buy into the 'not-good-news-for-glos-players' thing - but I think its fairly questionable by RFU.

EJ did a great job after the last RWC and was a clear step up from a coach that simply wasn't ready for the international game. But I'd consider the last 12 months a fairly stagnant period. I'd have preferred the RFU to wait and see how the world cup goes and then decide.
steckers
Hall of Famer

madders 16 Jun 2019 07:01 am said..

Eddie Jones has failed to bring on players, given England has the biggest pool of players the shortage of bloodied players in certain positions is a joke.
He has been too loyal to a few, risked “importing” foreigners who just weren’t good enough and ignored “form” players.
He has done for English Rugby what myxomatosis did for rabbits.
RWC 2019 will not be a happy one for England.
I started off with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left.
madders
Hall of Famer

CMGC 16 Jun 2019 10:33 am said..

Change is only good if it is going to improve things. Presumably there is no clear step up available and his record to date is as good as anyones. Eng will always struggle with the pressures from our domestic season. Untill that changes Eng will never achieve what they could. Ire, NZ and to some extent Wales benefit from having a connected structure fromt he clubs throught to the national team.
Who at Gloucester is missing out ? The DC situation is clear. you either go with OF/ Ford or ditch one and replace with DC. It is a simple call. Had DC done his Glos move one or two seasons earlier I suspect EJ would have used him more. Thorley has been called up, Not sure who else who is in th eframe - Morgan perhaps and rumours about 57 being taken.
As ever it is is easy to knock but unless you know who else wants the Eng job then why ditch the current one( McCalla nd Baxter have reportedly already said they don't want it which doesn't leave so many options.
CMGC

madders 16 Jun 2019 11:08 am said..

I wasn’t particularly saying Gloucester players have missed out, but given the woeful form of Leicester, Quins and Wasps, one wonders why EJ didn’t start looking beyond these.
He could do worse than pick a backbone based on Sarries team and tactics, and fill in the gaps with form players from other clubs. His whole strategy seems to have been based on Tuilagi resurrecting his game.....didn’t happen.
I just don’t think Eddie’s heart and soul are in doing this job, he hasn’t exactly scoured the Premiership for talent, yet it’s there in abundance. He appears to be treading water while banking the cheques.
Whatever happens now, l fear time is not on England’s side and opportunities have been missed.
I started off with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left.
madders
Hall of Famer
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby