The English vs The Welsh

Re: The English vs The Welsh

Chewbacca 18 Aug 2019 10:09 am said..

What I do not understand is how England haven’t learnt how to counteract Wales’ game plan.

That match felt like deja vu from when Wales beat England in the last six nations. Beaten in the air again, bested at the breakdown again, Eng kicked away all of their possession again and then ran out of ideas again. The whole match had a sense of inevitability about it, it was frustrating and to be honest it felt like a waste of time watching it.

After stuffing up the line out catch and drive several times in the match already, they went for that again too in the last few minutes. Genius.

Every time England have lost against Wales or Ireland in my rather short recent memory, the same thing seems to happen. Lose the breakdown and lose aerial aspects of the game.
Chewbacca
Senior squad member

Gb83 18 Aug 2019 11:02 am said..

Chewbacca wrote:What I do not understand is how England haven’t learnt how to counteract Wales’ game plan.

That match felt like deja vu from when Wales beat England in the last six nations. Beaten in the air again, bested at the breakdown again, Eng kicked away all of their possession again and then ran out of ideas again. The whole match had a sense of inevitability about it, it was frustrating and to be honest it felt like a waste of time watching it.

After stuffing up the line out catch and drive several times in the match already, they went for that again too in the last few minutes. Genius.

Every time England have lost against Wales or Ireland in my rather short recent memory, the same thing seems to happen. Lose the breakdown and lose aerial aspects of the game.

We were always going struggle at the breakdown without a genuine 7.

I’m not too bothered about yesterday, Wales had to win after losing last weekend.

Will be interesting how next week goes.
Gb83
Hall of Famer

Lebowski 18 Aug 2019 11:25 am said..

I did question the back row selection! And as for Daly at FB - I have no words.

I gave Jones praise last week. This week I agree it’s deja vu.

I guess we have to trust it’s all part of Eddie’s master plan! I’m not being sarcastic, and actually I have neither confidence nor trust in him, but frankly there’s no alternative now!
Lebowski
Dude

Gb83 18 Aug 2019 11:33 am said..

Lebowski wrote:I did question the back row selection! And as for Daly at FB - I have no words.

I gave Jones praise last week. This week I agree it’s deja vu.

I guess we have to trust it’s all part of Eddie’s master plan! I’m not being sarcastic, and actually I have neither confidence nor trust in him, but frankly there’s no alternative now!

I’m worried he’ll stick with Daly, he’s an awful fullback, we have better wingers and better 13’s. Don’t shoehorn him in just because he’s got a good kicking game.
Gb83
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 18 Aug 2019 11:38 am said..

I see EJ has come out and said they have other options for 5m lineout but don’t want to show their hand at this stage. Strange.
What your opinion on the Biggar tackle Leb? I’ve watched the Barrett red a few times now and I’m 50/50 but cannot see how Biggar didn’t see red.
Last edited by Not1eyed on 18 Aug 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

CMGC 18 Aug 2019 11:45 am said..

I think the anwer here is that to Wales the win was important. To Eng less so. EJ must realise a Ev W 1/4 final is on the cards ans thus keeping his powder dry is key. For us we want a win and exciting play and to see some great play. I guess for a coach he is working on match fitness certain drills etc. and the main prize next month.
It isn't he way I would tackle it and it all seems a bit cat and mouse but then we're not Int rugby coaches. It seems that EJ does listen to his players and coaching team and I assume they are agreed on how they use these 4 warmup games.
The next one v Ire will no doubt leave us wondering further. !!!
CMGC

Number8 18 Aug 2019 12:10 pm said..

CMGC wrote:It seems that EJ does listen to his players and coaching team

He should ignore them and just read shedweb.
Number8
Vice-Captain

Lebowski 18 Aug 2019 14:56 pm said..

Not1eyed wrote:What your opinion on the Biggar tackle Leb? I’ve watched the Barrett red a few times now and I’m 50/50 but cannot see how Biggar didn’t see red.

I agree 100%. He jumps into him, head high, with a swinging arm. It’s completely reckless and with the laws as they stand it has to be red.
Lebowski
Dude

theoptimist 18 Aug 2019 19:00 pm said..

In addition to the possible illegal tackle by Biggar... Did no one else notice Owen's shoulder charge on Heinz??? It led to his HIA. On re-run you can clearly see Owens tuck his leading arm down against his body as charging in to clear Heinz out...The angle didn't show contact but it could only have been shoulder or forearm against Heinz's head.

I thought the officiating was woeful including the input of the TMO...for both sides.

Wales came to the party this time round...played their game as they do and fully deserved their win. Their try was clinical and took full advantage of a moment of English stupidity. I thought Ford was poor and England's kicking game equally so. Not even going to mention the concerns around England's ability to deal with the high ball!

A disappointing show as far as the English are concerned IMHO...
theoptimist
Hero in the making

Not1eyed 18 Aug 2019 20:05 pm said..

Interesting appraisal theoptomist. For me england can take much more from these 2 games. England started either game with max 5 starters against wales best 15 both times round.
At no point yesterday did wales look like scoring a try and this is the No1 ranked team in the world.
Before anyone comments yes they scored a try but a try, that I believe, in a RWC, 6 nations or AI, would be disallowed for 2 reasons. Add to that in any of those Biggar would have seen red.
I understand the negativity around England but I’ll reserve judgment till I see the full 1st 15
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby