The English vs The Welsh

Re: The English vs The Welsh

spanish exile 18 Aug 2019 20:32 pm said..

For me the biggest problem is that either EJ doesn't know his best team or if he does is reluctant to give them playing time as a unit. If you don't play your best 15 then there is a real danger they will arrive in japan undercooked, why play your 2nd stringers?? EJ doesn't strike me as someone who has an open mind when it comes to selection so why not start your picks??
Sorry don't understand & for what its worth unless tactics change think japan will be same old same old close but not close enough.
spanish exile
Vice-Captain

Not1eyed 18 Aug 2019 20:38 pm said..

I think EJ knows exactly what his starting 15 is. He’s also aware that a 1/4 final v Wales is a possibility so he’s held back. Gatland has stated in press he has spoken to Schmidt about team selection for those 2 warm up games but didn’t speak to EJ. Gatland clearly trying to make a statement with his selections but in my opinion it’s massively backfired
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

CMGC 18 Aug 2019 22:44 pm said..

The welsh first XV is fairly clear apart from one or two possible swaps. I als think EJ and to be fair most of us could pick the Eng first XV although the second XV is not far behind. EJ I assume wants to hide a few tricks and combo's and ensure he really has 25 or so main options so he can safely use his squad for the USA/ tongs games. His big targets are the France and potential Wales 1/4 final matches. I think he knows that to go deep in the WC you need a squad that can cover off most games.
CMGC

smirnoff 19 Aug 2019 07:14 am said..

Not1eyed wrote:Gatland clearly trying to make a statement with his selections but in my opinion it’s massively backfired

Barring the loss of Anscombe, why? How?
smirnoff
Senior squad member

Not1eyed 19 Aug 2019 07:39 am said..

I would have expected the world No1 team at home and with their strongest team out to win comfortably against an England team containing 5 certain starters at most.
In the 1st game 4 certain starters for England won comfortably against again the strongest Welsh team available.
Surely the lack of attacking threat must be a concern to Gatland and Welsh fans?
Also Gatland has to find a way for wales to perform away from the emotion of Cardiff.
Anscombe is massive loss as personally I think JJ Williams is spot on.
That’s just my opinion and maybe being an England supporter I’m biased. Interested in your take on the 2 games Smirnoff.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Lord Lucan 19 Aug 2019 07:49 am said..

Owens on 57, surely warranted a red, shoulder to head.

https://rugbyonslaught.com/footage-shou ... -incident/
Lord Lucan
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 19 Aug 2019 08:06 am said..

Missed that during the game. Owens did that a few times. So that and what was a certain red for Biggar. Go back to week before and the replacement 9 should get red for shoulder to head of Ford.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 19 Aug 2019 08:08 am said..

Can they be cited or will IRB let it go as it’s a “warm up”. Personally I think both should get a few weeks ban. Sends the wrong message if let these things go just cause it’s a warm up
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

King Prawn Bhuna 19 Aug 2019 09:15 am said..

...and the incompetent one in the middle is stood there watching it! Yet a couple of weeks ago Garces was in the same position and called it perfectly. What was the TMO doing....
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
King Prawn Bhuna

Herefordpropforward 19 Aug 2019 09:17 am said..

Yes just like the knee to Davies’ head - just mentioning in the interest of objectivity. :roll: :lol: :D
West is best
Herefordpropforward
Hero in the making
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby