The English vs The Welsh

Re: The English vs The Welsh

Not1eyed 19 Aug 2019 09:56 am said..

Guess/hope that’s a joke Herefordpropforward?
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Lurker 19 Aug 2019 11:18 am said..

if they had seen that challenge on WH it would have been a red card - surprised there is no subsequent punishment as that needs to be eradicated from our game
Lurker
Hall of Famer

smirnoff 19 Aug 2019 17:01 pm said..

Not1eyed wrote:I would have expected the world No1 team at home and with their strongest team out to win comfortably against an England team containing 5 certain starters at most.
In the 1st game 4 certain starters for England won comfortably against again the strongest Welsh team available.
Surely the lack of attacking threat must be a concern to Gatland and Welsh fans?
Also Gatland has to find a way for wales to perform away from the emotion of Cardiff.
Anscombe is massive loss as personally I think JJ Williams is spot on.
That’s just my opinion and maybe being an England supporter I’m biased. Interested in your take on the 2 games Smirnoff.

I don't think any statement was being made. The truth of the matter is England have way more strength in depth than Wales so you can afford to put out teams without what the general consensus reckon are RWC starters. We can't.
I never thought you lot at Twickenham would be easy; and it proved so. You destroyed our key strength (our defence) and played really good rugby, you were physical and adept and when we did finally attack we kept dropping the pill. You were deserved winners.
The game at the w/e was a disappointment from both teams; you tried to outmuscle our back row and failed and our defence was much better. That said neither side set the world alight and I agree with you that Gatland has work to do. However these are warm up games (warm up vs. the English...yeah, right....) and both squads need to peak 22/23 September. That is what I think both coaches are aiming to achieve.
Anscombe is a loss but I think JJ was out of order; slagging someone off like that helps no one, especially the squad in a RWC build up (reminds me of the b*llocks treatment that Rhys Priestland got few years ago but then the Welsh have a long history of turning on each other). Biggar has, in the past, won games for us and I have no doubt will again.
I just hope all home nations play to their potential in the RWC and if England are in the final I will support them, ditto Ireland, Scotland etc.
And as for the Number 1 spot....rankings mean zip when a game kicks off IMHO.
smirnoff
Senior squad member

Not1eyed 19 Aug 2019 17:50 pm said..

Can’t really argue with any of that Smirnoff. I was surprised that wales went so strong at twickenham, and England so weak to be fair. Seemed to me that Gatland going so strong was an attempt to make a statement. After losing he had no option but to field a 1st team at home tho.
I have a suspicion we will see quite a strong england team on Saturday v Ireland
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Peanutcoxy 20 Aug 2019 07:37 am said..

Not1eyed wrote:Can’t really argue with any of that Smirnoff. I was surprised that wales went so strong at twickenham, and England so weak to be fair. Seemed to me that Gatland going so strong was an attempt to make a statement. After losing he had no option but to field a 1st team at home tho.
I have a suspicion we will see quite a strong england team on Saturday v Ireland

Agree as well re JJ, however like in all games, it depends on the style that Gatland wants to play against certain teams. England under a high ball are relatively weak and Biggar is as good as anyone at exploiting that. Haven’t seen much of Evans, but from people who have, the consensus is that he has quick hands and makes time for those outside him. Maybe he should have started on Saturday for experience in a pressure game but then again, Wales had to win and did so fairly comfortably with Biggar at 10. Poor game though, officiated poorly and seemed like a run out to try different things for both side. Obviously played hard but still a training game for both
The older I get the faster I was
Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer

Lurker 22 Aug 2019 06:24 am said..

"World Rugby has announced an immediate amendment to Law 3 to stipulate that a match cannot restart until a player leaving the field of play for a blood injury or Head Injury Assessment (HIA) has been temporarily replaced," it said in a statement.

This change made in reaction to the George North try when WH was off for HIA and AW was going g to the bin (England down to 13 men).
Lurker
Hall of Famer

DieTrying 22 Aug 2019 06:55 am said..

Lurker wrote:"World Rugby has announced an immediate amendment to Law 3 to stipulate that a match cannot restart until a player leaving the field of play for a blood injury or Head Injury Assessment (HIA) has been temporarily replaced," it said in a statement.

This change made in reaction to the George North try when WH was off for HIA and AW was going g to the bin (England down to 13 men).

horse and stable spring to mind.
DieTrying

Steve M 22 Aug 2019 07:03 am said..

Lurker wrote:"World Rugby has announced an immediate amendment to Law 3 to stipulate that a match cannot restart until a player leaving the field of play for a blood injury or Head Injury Assessment (HIA) has been temporarily replaced," it said in a statement.

The issue with the Welsh try was that the yellow carded player had not left the pitch. This amendment doesnt deal with that scenario.
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Steve M
Hall of Famer

smirnoff 22 Aug 2019 07:08 am said..

On a happier note (for me anyway)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49412515

However having watched the ABs dismantle the Aussies last weekend I cannot say we are playing anything like as well as Number 2.

Bet it will be Ireland's turn in the hot spot sometime before the RWC (and not necessarily with this coming w/e's result).
smirnoff
Senior squad member

King Prawn Bhuna 22 Aug 2019 08:25 am said..

Steve M wrote:

The issue with the Welsh try was that the yellow carded player had not left the pitch. This amendment doesnt deal with that scenario.

No. Willi Heinz was on the floor being treated, and Youngs was on the sideline waiting to come....so the English were an extra man down....very unsporting....and now been clearly picked out by IRB.
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
King Prawn Bhuna
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby