The English vs The Welsh

Re: The English vs The Welsh

Gb83 11 Aug 2019 15:36 pm said..

Glen Sannox wrote:Not1eyed/gB83, you were being teased...there's none so blind as those that will not see! Trust me, you don't get 68 caps, a nomination for world player of the year, get called onto a Lions tour etc. If you're a numpty! Still, what do the likes of Vern Cotter know?

If he couldn’t kick so well I very much doubt he’d get anywhere near a nomination. He’s a solid player but he’s not a great 9, far too slow.

I’m not sure Scottish caps is very good measure, Jim Hamilton also has a similar number.....
Gb83
Hall of Famer

Tuffty 11 Aug 2019 16:10 pm said..

Sadly I completely missed the game.

Can a kind soul tell me how 57 got on? Was it a performance to get him to Japan?
Tuffty

"The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
Tuffty
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 11 Aug 2019 16:24 pm said..

Yes i would say he will definitely be on the plane to Japan. He played well for 50mins
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Ken Burney 11 Aug 2019 16:28 pm said..

The highlights are on BBC2 tonight at 6:00 pm.
Ken Burney
Hall of Famer

Tuffty 11 Aug 2019 16:34 pm said..

Ken Burney wrote:The highlights are on BBC2 tonight at 6:00 pm.

Cheers Ken. I hope he gets lots of coverage!
Tuffty

"The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
Tuffty
Hall of Famer

King Prawn Bhuna 11 Aug 2019 16:36 pm said..

My thoughts, haven't read the thread so maybe repetition or bolleaux to some.

-Impressive win for England, the Welsh selection clearly indicated they set out to win this one
-Wales looked in pre-season still. Too many errors at test level or do they just not travel?
-AWJ looked past his sell by date, too slow and England worked him well, Lawes certainly isn't on his Xmas card list ;)
-Welsh pack look like faded glory, Moriarty is shadow of his former self, but Newport hairdressers and tanning salons must be doing a good trade
-When the Welsh backs got the ball they walked through a very poor England defence
-WTF is Daly doing at fullback...he's a more impressive shadow tackler than Ryan Lamb
-Ford was class, you can understand the Cipriani dilemma...Farrell must play 12.
-Tuilagi looked good when he came on
-Shame for Anscomb, they should have taken him off straight away not ten minutes later
Jones and Mitchell seem to be doing a good job and their prep looks spot on
-Next week will be fascinating to see whether Jones goes for the 'full Monty' in Cardiff or he holds back for the Irish game
-Can't not mention the new boy...he's international class...played the moves...sped up the first pass...box kick had great height...shame he didn't score his try...PTIYPASI Matt Dawson :D He IS test standard.
-Wales are definitely still believing their own publicity and have a lot to do, and based on today they will struggle against a very physical Georgia

In summary warm up period for EJ on course...Wales and WG have work to do. Next week will be a very interesting thermometer of how both sides react.
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
King Prawn Bhuna

Gb83 11 Aug 2019 17:14 pm said..

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:My thoughts, haven't read the thread so maybe repetition or bolleaux to some.

-Impressive win for England, the Welsh selection clearly indicated they set out to win this one
-Wales looked in pre-season still. Too many errors at test level or do they just not travel?
-AWJ looked past his sell by date, too slow and England worked him well, Lawes certainly isn't on his Xmas card list ;)
-Welsh pack look like faded glory, Moriarty is shadow of his former self, but Newport hairdressers and tanning salons must be doing a good trade
-When the Welsh backs got the ball they walked through a very poor England defence
-WTF is Daly doing at fullback...he's a more impressive shadow tackler than Ryan Lamb
-Ford was class, you can understand the Cipriani dilemma...Farrell must play 12.
-Tuilagi looked good when he came on
-Shame for Anscomb, they should have taken him off straight away not ten minutes later
Jones and Mitchell seem to be doing a good job and their prep looks spot on
-Next week will be fascinating to see whether Jones goes for the 'full Monty' in Cardiff or he holds back for the Irish game
-Can't not mention the new boy...he's international class...played the moves...sped up the first pass...box kick had great height...shame he didn't score his try...PTIYPASI Matt Dawson :D He IS test standard.
-Wales are definitely still believing their own publicity and have a lot to do, and based on today they will struggle against a very physical Georgia

In summary warm up period for EJ on course...Wales and WG have work to do. Next week will be a very interesting thermometer of how both sides react.

Daly mustn’t start at 15, he has zero interest in defence. He’s a quality player but I’d much prefer Watson at 15, May and Cokanasiga on the wings.

Joseph is looking back to his best, I’d like to see him keep the shirt over Slade.

Also think it’s time to go back to ford at 10 and Farrell at 12, It’s a shame Cips isn’t getting a chance but England have looked their best with Ford and Farrell playing together.
Gb83
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 11 Aug 2019 17:25 pm said..

Interesting idea with ford and farrell Gb83 but I don’t think it’ll happen personally. Wouldn’t argue with it, especially after Ford performance today, but think Manu is definitely going to start at 12.
I would also prefer Watson at 15 and May, coko on wings. Daly good option for the bench too
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Lebowski 11 Aug 2019 17:26 pm said..

It was a good win by England and as a vocal critic of EJ......well done!

I’m not getting carried away however. Let’s see how we get on in Cardiff.

Ford is a good player but I prefer Cips - always have. Farrell at 12 solves the ‘kicking debate’ and you can afford the luxury of Cips in the team (I acknowledge he’s not an international class kicker)

Daly at 15............. :( :( The Eddie fans need to explain that one to me because I’m utterly bemused, and it’s not as if it’s a one off!
Lebowski
Dude

Peanutcoxy 11 Aug 2019 17:40 pm said..

My take is similar to KPB but I’m going to buck the trend re Cockanasiga. There is no doubt the guy is a beast of an attacking threat. However, and it is a huge however for me, the guy is exceptionally weak defensively both positionally and in the tackle. It is a balancing act that EJ is obviously aware of and I suspect he will be on bench at best. May and Daly/Watson will probably start and who is on the bench will depend on whether or not Nowell is fit. Just my take on it.

Willi put in an excellent performance and I truly hope he makes the plane. I actually think he might take all 3 SHs
The older I get the faster I was
Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby