England RWC'19 Squad

Re: England RWC'19 Squad

CMGC 12 Aug 2019 13:06 pm said..

Point taken Rollo but to me Singleton is a Wuss player !!!
CMGC

Harrison26 12 Aug 2019 13:22 pm said..

Delighted for Willi and thoroughly deserved after a strong season last year. To echo everyone else, gutted for DC.
I agree with you though Smudger, it is possible that it is Heinz who brings the best out of the man outside him - given how poorly Ford has been previously, but how well he played on Saturday (with Heinz on), it sure is possible.
My trip to Japan next month will now be worth it with a Gloucester player representing England!
Harrison26
Senior squad member

Porky 12 Aug 2019 14:06 pm said..

Smudger, Who is Ben Simpson - any relation of Joe Spencer?

I think the analysis that showed why DC looks good outside Willi H is spot on. Danny is absolute class but is the first to say how great Willi Heinz has been; and I have a feeling EJ will see Heinz as the first choice now.
Time you enjoy wasting is never wasted.
Porky
Hall of Famer

smirnoff 12 Aug 2019 14:08 pm said..

Glen Sannox wrote:I think the Cipriani decision stinks. Just my view.

Ditto
smirnoff
Senior squad member

King Prawn Bhuna 12 Aug 2019 14:16 pm said..

A question. The world cup squad size is still 31. The tournament is more gladiatorial this year than ever before....should the squad size be increased to, say 35?...it would take the pressure off the coaches and some players but at the same time would it give the elite seeded nations a bigger advantage?..it was a pub discussion yesterday...thoughts?
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
King Prawn Bhuna

CMGC 12 Aug 2019 14:28 pm said..

Given that the Squad will probably train with some others added in from time to time and that a reserve can be flown out at 24 hrs notice the size is less important that it seems. I suspect all the top teams will have a back up front row/ lock/ backrow/ SH and pair of backs in full training waiting on the inevitable.
CMGC

Staggy 12 Aug 2019 14:30 pm said..

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:A question. The world cup squad size is still 31. The tournament is more gladiatorial this year than ever before....should the squad size be increased to, say 35?...it would take the pressure off the coaches and some players but at the same time would it give the elite seeded nations a bigger advantage?..it was a pub discussion yesterday...thoughts?

Made the same comment on a different forum!

We look short at TH, 8, SH & FH, not that they are important positions at all.....
Think DC was doomed the moment EJ decided to take only 2 FH's, but he must be next in the queue should the injury bug bite (and I really hope not, by the way). Would say that Morgan should also have his phone near him in the coming weeks.

Just a casual thought. Was it WH that made Ford look better yesterday, or was it the lack of Farrell? There's another discussion to be had.
Staggy
Senior squad member

Neilio44 12 Aug 2019 14:58 pm said..

Pretty spot on squad by Eddie there. Fantastic for Willi!

However, I really don't understand the inclusion of Piers Francis. He doesn't appear to be anything particularly special, but does offer another option at flyhalf? Is he what you would class as a utility back?

If so, I think Eddie has made a big mistake by not replacing him with either Danny Cipriani (fly half/full back) or Alex Goode (Fly half/full back).

A world class player, but I do worry about Owen Farrell having the capacity to get a bit carried away and losing it should things not go according to plan.

Anyway, go well, I will be right behind you.
If it's wet, drink it.
Neilio44
Hero in the making

CMGC 12 Aug 2019 15:29 pm said..

I assume Francis will soon get a game at 10 to show what he can do . I didn't see much on offer on Sunday. I agree Cips and Goode would provide better cover but maybe Francis looks better in training?
CMGC

Russglos 12 Aug 2019 18:19 pm said..

Russglos
Hero in the making
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby