England RWC'19 Squad

Re: England RWC'19 Squad

Number8 14 Aug 2019 12:52 pm said..

madders wrote:It’s a shame as the Heinz/Cipriani combination is deadly.

It is for Gloucester but International rugby is whole different game and what works well at club level doesn't necessarily translate to the next level up.
Number8
Vice-Captain

Gloucester Mute 14 Aug 2019 13:00 pm said..

Glen Sannox wrote:I understand now: EJ's selections are not him trying to win the RWC, but are driven by spite, and presumably an anti-Glaws bias! Remarkable.

Hee hee ;)
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 1385  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 14 Aug 2019 13:13 pm said..

I say good to be back after my self-imposed purdah BUT not a lot has changed with the critics still in denial and the Welsh all gone quiet over there !! Has to be said that England/EJ + JM played a blinder and Wales/WG are left a bit egg on face. Onto this Saturday in Cardiff therefore.....

I suspect that Wales will give nearly all Sun's players a chance for redemption and put out a strong squad. As for England the expectation would appear the same ie; a strong squad BUT I suspect that EJ will again put out a more experimental squad and rest his biggest guns for Ireland on the 24th. Billy Vunipola prefers playing to training and many of the back-up players need game time. Plus less risk of injury - see Anscombe for what to avoid too often.

No real downside again for EJ/England as Wales will be fancied to win and crowd massively fervent (and pressurising) to home team GS Champions.

I actually expect both another England win against the odds + an over-performance from a largely experimental squad. Either of which can only help in the overall Sweet Chariot journey to Japan. :) :) :)
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 1385  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

cherrywhite 14 Aug 2019 20:41 pm said..

I wish I could agree with you Mute! I shall be at the Principality Stadium on Saturday with a Welsh friend!! I cant see EJ doing the same as WG did last Sunday. Bring two or three in perhaps,but he'll need to give the "seconds" another chance to prove that last Sunday wasn't a once off!!
cherrywhite
Turns out for the A team

Not1eyed 14 Aug 2019 20:47 pm said..

Madders you’ve listed players/ clubs that have all won something recently. What have the “deadly combination of Heinz and Cipriani” won?
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Sky blue 14 Aug 2019 21:30 pm said..

His heart?
Sky blue
Hall of Famer

DieTrying 14 Aug 2019 21:50 pm said..

The only thing that worries me a bit is that if Eng are 10 points adrift with 20 to go and Eddie decides to change Plan A by bringing some game changers / finishers then he replaces OF with GF and BY with WH, then we'd still be playing Plan A.
DieTrying

Not1eyed 14 Aug 2019 21:54 pm said..

Maybe in that case he brings ford on and pushes farrell to 12. No saying in that situ bringing DC on England would win. I get the point but I think several on here are putting DC on a pedestal he possibly wouldn’t be on if still at Sale or wasps. Just my opinion
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

DieTrying 14 Aug 2019 22:00 pm said..

Not1eyed wrote:Maybe in that case he brings ford on and pushes farrell to 12. No saying in that situ bringing DC on England would win. I get the point but I think several on here are putting DC on a pedestal he possibly wouldn’t be on if still at Sale or wasps. Just my opinion

Pushing OF to 12 bumps HS who is far more inventive. Whilst I think DC would have an option, not a miracle cure, as would have been Spencer, I think EJ's backed himself into a corner, by over picking back rowers and back 3 players, rather than taking 3 9's, 10's and more prop cover.
DieTrying

CMGC 14 Aug 2019 23:07 pm said..

My hunch is that EJ will select most of thse in the squad ( who are fit) who didn't play last W/E. That then makes it a fresh start and means Wales have to start afresh to work out how to break down a different team. At least Eng will know what is coming. However we can assume Kevesic/ Ewells and Marchant will play as they were drafted into the squad.
CMGC
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby