South Africa assistant coach steps down

South Africa assistant coach steps down

MartynWestBerks 14 Aug 2019 11:19 am said..

Not good news... hope they don't come Chasing Johan!

Daily Telegraph
South Africa's Rugby World Cup preparations have been hit by the departure of attack coach Swys de Bruin, just over a month before the tournament gets underway in Japan.

De Bruin informed the Springboks on Tuesday that he wished to be released from his role for “personal and medical reasons”.

“Swys made a great contribution to the squad in his time with us and I’d like to thank him on behalf of his fellow management and the players he has worked with in the past 12 months,” said Rassie Erasmus, SA Rugby’s director of rugby.

“He brought a fresh perspective to one facet of the game and he’ll be hard to replace. I’d also like to thank the Lions Company PTY for releasing him to us and SA Rugby for supporting his appointment.”

De Bruin was not part of the coaching staff for South Africa's victory over Argentina in Salta last weekend, when the Springboks won the Rugby Championship title for the first time since 2009, and left the squad following their 16-16 draw against New Zealand.

De Bruin (centre) has been hailed for the Lions attacking style of play
De Bruin (centre) has been hailed for the Lions attacking style of play CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES
Erasmus will now assess his options before appointing a short-term solution, with the Rugby World Cup only a matter of weeks away.

“This was not something we were expecting but our planning has been thorough and it’s something we can manage," Erasmus said.

De Bruin is also head coach of the Lions in Super Rugby and left the squad's tour of New Zealand earlier this year due to stress, later revealing to You magazine in South Africa that he felt torn over the Lions playing a fixture on Good Friday.

“The Lions are a Christian team and I found it incredibly difficult to play on Good Friday,” said De Bruin. “Many of our supporters criticised us for that too. I felt I should’ve taken a stand, but I didn’t.

“I started getting a hollow feeling in my stomach and thought ‘today I’m saying goodbye to the world’. I called my wife and told her I felt as if I were drowning, but didn’t know why. She said I should come home immediately.”

De Bruin returned to coach the side later in the season, and was previously hailed for his work in developing the Lions' attacking game when he worked as assistant coach under Johan Ackermann, before Ackermann joined Gloucester."

(
MartynWestBerks
Vice-Captain

Re: South Africa assistant coach steps down

Mainer04 14 Aug 2019 11:59 am said..

Why would he leave a head coach job to only be an assistant?
Step back.
He’ll only have thoughts on the top job and he signed a new contact with us at the end of May, he’s not going anywhere for a while.
Mainer04
First team regular

Clive's Pants 14 Aug 2019 12:11 pm said..

Mainer04 wrote:Why would he leave a head coach job to only be an assistant?
Step back.
He’ll only have thoughts on the top job and he signed a new contact with us at the end of May, he’s not going anywhere for a while.

Agree with you but I'd have no doubt he'd have a release clause in his contract if the top SA job came up (assuming that that is what he'd want of course).
Clive's Pants
On the board

King Prawn Bhuna 14 Aug 2019 13:19 pm said..

I think JA would be flattered to be an Attack Coach :D :D :D
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

Glen Sannox 14 Aug 2019 13:56 pm said..

Wouldn't be the end of the world if JA went, because then Madders could step in - his expertise is clearly what we need to take us to the next level.
Cherchez la truffe
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 14 Aug 2019 14:10 pm said..

Glen Sannox wrote:Wouldn't be the end of the world if JA went, because then Madders could step in - his expertise is clearly what we need to take us to the next level.

Ho ho. Imagine his team talk @ The Stoop ?!?! Plus input to EJ on Glos players ?!?!
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 1385  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

ShedOrDead 14 Aug 2019 16:06 pm said..

Stop it you two...

Shame for Swys but "Personal and Medical Reasons" sounds... well, quite serious to be honest. One hopes not of course...

And no, I cannot see Johan going to be the Bok attack coach (although, I did wonder whether they might look for some short term cover over the RWC, but is "attack" Johan's USP?). I think he will wait until after 2023 when with all kids through school and having taken Gloucester to 4 back-to-back Premiership Crowns and European Champions Cup victories, he will be the obvious and natural candidate.
ShedOrDead
On the board

ReSouth Africa assistant coach steps down

cherrywhite 14 Aug 2019 16:22 pm said..

Johann will not leave and break his Glos contract -He and his family are VERY happy here,and he has unfinished business -to take Glos to Premiership Title!!
cherrywhite
Turns out for the A team

Re: ReSouth Africa assistant coach steps down

covglaws 14 Aug 2019 19:49 pm said..

cherrywhite wrote:Johann will not leave and break his Glos contract -He and his family are VERY happy here,and he has unfinished business -to take Glos to Premiership Title!!

Plus I think he has more integrity than that.
Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems. - Homer Simpson.
Posts: 1605  Location: Sent to Coventry - Well someone's got to live here!
covglaws
Hall of Famer

Re: ReSouth Africa assistant coach steps down

Gloucester Mute 16 Aug 2019 00:02 am said..

covglaws wrote:
cherrywhite wrote:Johann will not leave and break his Glos contract -He and his family are VERY happy here,and he has unfinished business -to take Glos to Premiership Title!!

Plus I think he has more integrity than that.

Don't forget JA's major indiscretion as a player and his associated ban. That didn't demonstrate much integrity at the time did it ?? :roll: :roll:
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 1385  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer
Next

Return to Gloucester Rugby