South Africa assistant coach steps down

Re: ReSouth Africa assistant coach steps down

ShedOrDead 16 Aug 2019 06:27 am said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:
covglaws wrote:
cherrywhite wrote:Johann will not leave and break his Glos contract -He and his family are VERY happy here,and he has unfinished business -to take Glos to Premiership Title!!

Plus I think he has more integrity than that.

Don't forget JA's major indiscretion as a player and his associated ban. That didn't demonstrate much integrity at the time did it ?? :roll: :roll:

Not at the time. I would suggest that he is a very different man now.

I don't think there is any risk of Johan moving on to SA at this stage. When he does eventually move on - nothing lasts forever - I hope it is to a senior role in the Springbok setup.
ShedOrDead
On the board

Re: South Africa assistant coach steps down

Baylion 16 Aug 2019 06:42 am said..

Mainer04 wrote:Why would he leave a head coach job to only be an assistant?
Step back.
He’ll only have thoughts on the top job and he signed a new contact with us at the end of May, he’s not going anywhere for a while.

Head coach provincial team to assistant coach national team. That happens often

Anyway, Swys is still head coach at the Lions (for the moment) and was only at the Boks as the attack consultant, not as assistant coach
Baylion
Hero in the making

lovejoy 16 Aug 2019 07:05 am said..

cherrywhite wrote:Johann will not leave and break his Glos contract -He and his family are VERY happy here,and he has unfinished business -to take Glos to Premiership Title!!

Much the same debate was had when rumours of Jonny May leaving first cropped up.
lovejoy
Hero in the making

Smudger 16 Aug 2019 07:12 am said..

GM - there is a saying "Yet he who without sin cast the first stone". I have seen or heard nothing in JA's behaviour since his arrival at GRFC that in anyway suggests that we should question his integrity. Nelson Mandela was viewed by many, both Black & White, as a terrorist and he did indeed carry out some acts that could be construed as such but you would struggle to find any one now who would question his integrity. JA has transgressed and has been brutally honest about it - that is in the past.

You are of course entitled to your opinion however,I find your need to post such a comment baffling.
Smudger
Senior squad member

Baylion 16 Aug 2019 07:20 am said..

I think Ackers will take the Bok top job if it's offered but not a "lesser" job.

However, from what he said recently SARU hasn't been in contact with him even though the Bok head coach job is becoming available after the RWC
Baylion
Hero in the making

Gloucester Mute 16 Aug 2019 10:03 am said..

Smudger wrote:GM - there is a saying "Yet he who without sin cast the first stone". I have seen or heard nothing in JA's behaviour since his arrival at GRFC that in anyway suggests that we should question his integrity. Nelson Mandela was viewed by many, both Black & White, as a terrorist and he did indeed carry out some acts that could be construed as such but you would struggle to find any one now who would question his integrity. JA has transgressed and has been brutally honest about it - that is in the past.

You are of course entitled to your opinion however,I find your need to post such a comment baffling.

I totally agree Smudger. I just want to keep things in (historical) context. And not see JA put on a "Saint Johan" pedestal of "the man can do no wrong." Of course we have all erred to some degrees in life and hopefully learnt our lessons - but taking banned/PED drugs is not something I will ever admire from a professional sports-person. And of course individuals should be given a second chance.

Not surprisingly SW seems to always forgive it's own BUT rarely those from other GP clubs !! I try to be more balanced in my approach. I can feel a little expose on DC coming up...….

Ironically Saint Danny has been forgiven and had more chances than most and arguably still hasn't learnt !!
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 1385  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Phill 16 Aug 2019 11:06 am said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:I totally agree Smudger. I just want to keep things in (historical) context. And not see JA put on a "Saint Johan" pedestal of "the man can do no wrong." Of course we have all erred to some degrees in life and hopefully learnt our lessons - but taking banned/PED drugs is not something I will ever admire from a professional sports-person. And of course individuals should be given a second chance.

Not surprisingly SW seems to always forgive it's own BUT rarely those from other GP clubs !! I try to be more balanced in my approach. I can feel a little expose on DC coming up...….

Ironically Saint Danny has been forgiven and had more chances than most and arguably still hasn't learnt !!

I'd argue the vast majority of DCs indiscretions have been either created (Jersey) or vastly over-sensationalised by our very own wonderfully 'believable' media! This also holds for quite a number of NONE Glos Rugby players too.

Attempt to change my mind....
Phill
Vice-Captain

JamesK 16 Aug 2019 13:50 pm said..

I'm very happy with all JA has done at Glos but have little doubt that if a better job offer came his way he'd take it. Why would he have any particular loyalty for a club so far from home? How can we expect him to resist other offers when Glos tempted him away from the Lions?

From his perspective it might be a fairly advantageous time for him to move on. He has done really well to get Glos up to third. Its going to be a major challenge to break into the top two. His stock could be at a high point.

However, I don't think the job of assistant SA coach is big enough.
JamesK
Vice-Captain
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby