John Afoa Resigns

Re: John Afoa Resigns

Gb83 22 Aug 2019 20:26 pm said..

Number10 wrote:Got to disagree. Excellent player but wouldn't class him as a legend.

Simpson Daniel is what I class as a Gloucester legend in the modern era - best player over a large number of years. Afoa was good but woud say there were lots of others who performed as well over the same period - Hibbard another one who was excellent but wouldn't call a legend

Got to disagree, Afoa was consistently brilliant in a poor forward pack. Hibbard had his very good games but also disappointed in a lot. Not many props can do what Afoa continues to do.
Gb83
Hall of Famer

TheOptimistSenior 22 Aug 2019 21:15 pm said..

Castle Grim Reaper wrote:But Bristol is a team or club and therefore plural :?

To continue the pedantry (I know, boring isn't it?), team is a collective noun, so "a team" in the singular e.g the team is, not the team are. Bristol's is correct!

I'm in the "top class player" camp, not a legend. Brilliant in the tight and in the loose, with a tremendous work rate. I was sorry that he left, but completely understand why. Balmain is, in my view, an extremely good tight head and has filled JA's boots brilliantly.
TheOptimistSenior
Vice-Captain

Glen Sannox 23 Aug 2019 04:35 am said..

Tough one this. Of course a team is singular, but by convention a club is often referred to as plural...read the newspapers and that will be confirmed for you. Sub-editors know their grammar pretty well, but will generally insist upon 'Gloucester are' when referring to Gloucester Rugby, and 'Gloucester is' when referring to the city. Just sounds better.
Cherchez la truffe
Glen Sannox
Hall of Famer

TheOptimistSenior 23 Aug 2019 21:39 pm said..

Agree GS, context is important. As there is only one Bristol Rugby club, it is singular in the context used at the beginning of this thread.
As far as sub-editors are concerned, they are not always right. An article in the Sunday Times two weeks ago included "the amount of concussions" rather than "the number...". Interesting article, however.
TheOptimistSenior
Vice-Captain
Previous

Return to Gloucester Rugby