John Afoa Resigns

Re: John Afoa Resigns

Steve M 22 Aug 2019 11:59 am said..

Castle Grim Reaper wrote:
TheOptimistSenior wrote:
Baldhead2 wrote:Whose John Afoa??

Bristol's

Thought about it earlier but avoided that bit of pedantry as I suspect Bristol is plural and if so surely your apostrophe is in the wrong place :D

Pedantry rules OK. :D

As much as I like Bristols (in the plural), surely in this instance there is only one Bristol that John Afoa 'belongs to' so the apostrophe would be correct ?

Roll on some rugby :lol: :lol:
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Steve M
Hall of Famer

Castle Grim Reaper 22 Aug 2019 12:52 pm said..

But Bristol is a team or club and therefore plural :?
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer

tigerchef 22 Aug 2019 17:36 pm said..

Castle Grim Reaper wrote:But Bristol is a team or club and therefore plural :?

Sort of. A pair of Bristol clubs; City and Rovers is different to the anatomically correct great pair of Bristol's?

Pedants please correct.
tigerchef
On the board

coleser 22 Aug 2019 18:09 pm said..

One team. One club. Singular.

Gloucester’s captain.
The team’s success.
coleser
Vice-Captain

Baldhead2 22 Aug 2019 18:14 pm said..

I was joking !! But thanks for the help ... and the grammar lessons which are so helpful in keeping the written word wot et yuz ta B
Baldhead2
First team regular

RTS2 22 Aug 2019 18:36 pm said..

Good business by JA and Bristol.

I wonder if he might "wind-down" at Hartpury when he decides to quit at the very top ?. He still clearly loves the game and is fit enough to carry on for a few season's at a good level; if not in the top flight ?. I also wonder if he will "resurface" somewhere in the future as a scrum coach ?........ Great guy; fantastic player and someone who already deserves legendary status at CG IMO.
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Number8 22 Aug 2019 19:05 pm said..

RTS2 wrote:Great guy; fantastic player and someone who already deserves legendary status at CG IMO.

Spare me the 'legendary status' nonsense, this is a bloke who was doing his job for his employer. There must have been hundreds of blokes over the years who have played many more games than JO and who played in their spare time and in far worse conditions than the modern day player.

Don't get me wrong JO was a terrific employee but to me that's where it ends.
Number8
Vice-Captain

Baldhead2 22 Aug 2019 19:12 pm said..

Been lucky enough to bump into him several times, a true gent. Looks settled still living up here says a lot, great player, no problem saying he is and no problem if he goes into coaching he comes back to us. No good reason to say otherwise imho but hey I’m a nice guy too lol
Baldhead2
First team regular

Gb83 22 Aug 2019 19:40 pm said..

Number8 wrote:
RTS2 wrote:Great guy; fantastic player and someone who already deserves legendary status at CG IMO.

Spare me the 'legendary status' nonsense, this is a bloke who was doing his job for his employer. There must have been hundreds of blokes over the years who have played many more games than JO and who played in their spare time and in far worse conditions than the modern day player.

Don't get me wrong JO was a terrific employee but to me that's where it ends.

Who is JO? As far as Gloucester rugby goes he is a legend. He’s one of the best players to play for Gloucester in the modern era. Such a shame we couldn’t keep him, Balmain has stood up hugely but Afoa is one of the best we’ve had.
Gb83
Hall of Famer

Number10 22 Aug 2019 20:12 pm said..

Got to disagree. Excellent player but wouldn't class him as a legend.

Simpson Daniel is what I class as a Gloucester legend in the modern era - best player over a large number of years. Afoa was good but woud say there were lots of others who performed as well over the same period - Hibbard another one who was excellent but wouldn't call a legend
Number10
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby