The English vs The Irish

Re: The English vs The Irish

CMGC 25 Aug 2019 10:58 am said..

I suspect that EJ will tweek his so called "best XV" a bit over the WC. It will depend on the oppo and thus how EJ plays it. Key yesterday was Eng having a 100% set piece and amazingly the Irish lossing so many lineouts. It gave Eng lots of front foot ball with time. However different teams will provide different challenges. If Eng get to the 1/4 and play Wlaes then it will be very interesting to see how the game plays out compared to the one a week ago. Wales will surely go aerial and what is EJ's plan to counter that?
Another conundrum is can gats keep the first XV playing in the two Ireland games. He runs the risk of battle fatigue or injury so will he bring in reserves and will they be able to deliver the goods against a very poor Ireland?
CMGC

Peanutcoxy 25 Aug 2019 11:06 am said..

CMGC wrote:I suspect that EJ will tweek his so called "best XV" a bit over the WC. It will depend on the oppo and thus how EJ plays it. Key yesterday was Eng having a 100% set piece and amazingly the Irish lossing so many lineouts. It gave Eng lots of front foot ball with time. However different teams will provide different challenges. If Eng get to the 1/4 and play Wlaes then it will be very interesting to see how the game plays out compared to the one a week ago. Wales will surely go aerial and what is EJ's plan to counter that?
Another conundrum is can gats keep the first XV playing in the two Ireland games. He runs the risk of battle fatigue or injury so will he bring in reserves and will they be able to deliver the goods against a very poor Ireland?

I think the poor Irish performance was partly due to fatigue after a hard training week. As EJ pointed out, they are at a different stage of preparation to England; still good from England though. Tricky for Gats now as he has to balance momentum against protecting his key players. Injuries now have less time to recover.

I’m now warming to the decision to name the squad early and it all seems to be falling into place. Preparation has been very good
The older I get the faster I was
Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer

Gb83 25 Aug 2019 11:22 am said..

Peanutcoxy wrote:
CMGC wrote:I suspect that EJ will tweek his so called "best XV" a bit over the WC. It will depend on the oppo and thus how EJ plays it. Key yesterday was Eng having a 100% set piece and amazingly the Irish lossing so many lineouts. It gave Eng lots of front foot ball with time. However different teams will provide different challenges. If Eng get to the 1/4 and play Wlaes then it will be very interesting to see how the game plays out compared to the one a week ago. Wales will surely go aerial and what is EJ's plan to counter that?

I think the poor Irish performance was partly due to fatigue after a hard training week. As EJ pointed out, they are at a different stage of preparation to England; still good from England though. Tricky for Gats now as he has to balance momentum against protecting his key players. Injuries now have less time to recover.

I’m now warming to the decision to name the squad early and it all seems to be falling into place. Preparation has been very good

England do seem to be progressing in the right way, settled squad and everyone knows their job. Whilst Ireland might be earlier in their prep I’d be a little worried about how much improvement they need to make, the World Cup isn’t that far away really:
Gb83
Hall of Famer

CMGC 25 Aug 2019 11:48 am said..

Your points all accepted but imagine the boot was on the other foot and Eng had just been beaten 55-15 in Dublin in their second warm up game and the prospect of going to Cardiff next week !!!! Some on here would not be calling for EJ's head they would be going down to get it !!!
CMGC

Peanutcoxy 25 Aug 2019 11:56 am said..

CMGC wrote:Your points all accepted but imagine the boot was on the other foot and Eng had just been beaten 55-15 in Dublin in their second warm up game and the prospect of going to Cardiff next week !!!! Some on here would not be calling for EJ's head they would be going down to get it !!!

Exactly, which is why I think England have got their preparation and choice of warm up games spot on. No doubt England were very good and Ireland very poor but difficult to judge how good and how poor. Next week v Wales will offer a better indication I think but will still not be that clear due to selections
Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer

Peanutcoxy 25 Aug 2019 12:00 pm said..

That said, if Ireland win against a second string Wales, that’ll tell us little other than Ireland win against Wales. That is true for all the countries I guess including England, as we have not compared like for like
Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer

Still Realistic 25 Aug 2019 18:01 pm said..

While I share the reservations on Daly as a defensive fullback I am slightly amused that everyone wants to slot Watson straight back in there. He had a torrid time there a few years ago in an England shirt and was widely criticised on here and on social media. He also states that he prefers wing to fullback.
Now I am not saying he isn't the answer and he is certainly better than suggesting Nowell play there, just that perspective is required.
Still Realistic
Hall of Famer

Sky blue 25 Aug 2019 18:13 pm said..

An England thread and no Madders. I hope he's ok.
Sky blue
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 25 Aug 2019 18:54 pm said..

I’m going to put this out there in the hope of luring Madders back but I would still have Brown over all of them. I understand Goode is a class footballer but lacks the pace to be an international 15 for me.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

Sky blue 25 Aug 2019 19:05 pm said..

Can't agree with that!

I wanted Daly tried at FB as he's a good "footballer". I concede it hasn't worked well enough and we're running out of time. I'd put Daly at 13 and bring either Watson or Goode in at FB.

Even with the Goode (non) option with May, Daly (13) and Watson (wing) in the team the backs don't lack pace.
Sky blue
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby