How long are players rested after the RWC?

How long are players rested after the RWC?

King Prawn Bhuna 23 Aug 2019 14:27 pm said..

For some reason I have it in my head as a minimum of 4 weeks (maybe more?) or is that just England players...but seems a reasonable period.

So if the initial matches finish on the weekend 13th October then players would not be available until 13th November
QF finish w/e 20th October.....20th November
runners up and finals 2nd Nov.............2nd December

There are approximately 7 Toulouse players likely to be in the French squad so if they get to the QF or SF they are unlikely to be in their team to play at Kingsholm but we could be impacted more in the next round at Montpellier if South Africa (& England?) get to the SF.

So I guess it is good time to play Toulouse. Does anyone remember definitively what the rest periods are?
Here's to the nights I'll never remember with the friends I'll never forget...
King Prawn Bhuna

Re: How long are players rested after the RWC?

Up the jumper 23 Aug 2019 14:59 pm said..

I'm not sure the 4 week break applies, at least not to Prem players - see https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/45956402

My reading of the regs is that there is a one week break and a limit in game time per season.

I am tho confused as this talks about the RFU and the Premiership - does the RFU have jurisdiction over non English players?
Another yard boys, another yard!
Up the jumper
Vice-Captain

SonofPricey 23 Aug 2019 15:06 pm said..

Depends on when they get knocked out. Realistically Italy aren’t going to be getting to the QF’s and England probably won’t get much further.

I think only Mostert will be the one getting the most rest.
SonofPricey
Vice-Captain

Clive's Pants 23 Aug 2019 19:48 pm said..

In the days when there definitely were no rest periods must immediately returning players were pants for the first month or so.
Clive's Pants
On the board

King Prawn Bhuna 23 Aug 2019 21:16 pm said..

As I remember Gommers, Vics and Dougy had a couple of weeks and turned up out of the blue.

A bit unclear....and I'm not sure this is in the context of the article which was about player release for the warm up squads...

“We’ve pushed really hard and it was important to get some structure,” the PRL’s director of rugby, Phil Winstanley, told the Guardian. “We wanted no limit at all but we have been pragmatic and we are happy with the outcome. The message to the unions is we are aware teams will want access to their players but there is a five-week rest period that has to be respected. It’s really important the medical teams are reviewing the status of the player.”
King Prawn Bhuna

madders 23 Aug 2019 21:21 pm said..

That’s ridiculous given the Heineken games start on 15th November. Maybe this competition should have started later. Who’d be a Club owner?
I started off with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left.
madders
Hall of Famer

Big Red 23 Aug 2019 21:44 pm said..

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:As I remember Gommers, Vics and Dougy had a couple of weeks and turned up out of the blue.

A bit unclear....and I'm not sure this is in the context of the article which was about player release for the warm up squads...

“We’ve pushed really hard and it was important to get some structure,” the PRL’s director of rugby, Phil Winstanley, told the Guardian. “We wanted no limit at all but we have been pragmatic and we are happy with the outcome. The message to the unions is we are aware teams will want access to their players but there is a five-week rest period that has to be respected. It’s really important the medical teams are reviewing the status of the player.”

I’m sure they played the week after and Dougie scored a beauty against Saints!
Big Red
Hall of Famer

herefordglaws 24 Aug 2019 13:45 pm said..

I have an (unreliable) memory of Andy Gomersall playing for England against the Springboks on a Saturday and coming on as a sub for Glaws on the following day. Am I imagining it or does someone else remember it?
herefordglaws
On a trial

King Prawn Bhuna 25 Aug 2019 10:39 am said..

Yes, I’m sure he didn’t play half a game (40 mins) in either match.
King Prawn Bhuna

Return to Gloucester Rugby