England’s Best Full-Back

Re: England’s Best Full-Back

Not1eyed 11 Sep 2019 22:33 pm said..

I’d have Brown over Daly anyday
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer

King Prawn Bhuna 12 Sep 2019 07:13 am said..

...and I'd have Goode over both of them.
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
King Prawn Bhuna

Glawsterkaapie 12 Sep 2019 08:35 am said..

likewise KPB.....no brainer that it is Goode
Glawsterkaapie
Vice-Captain

Froggy 12 Sep 2019 10:15 am said..

I think Brown (34) has been absolutely fantastic for England in the past but I think he has slowed down and is more inconsistent now. Goode (31) may well be the best fullback at the current time. However, I would go with Watson (25) who has age on his side, is fast and good under the high ball. I don't think that we are going to win the WC this time round, just not quite there yet, but in 4 years time it could be a different matter. Give Watson a regular slot, injury permitting, and he could really become an excellent and confident full back in the squad.
Froggy
Turns out for the A team

Diamo 12 Sep 2019 10:40 am said..

I don't see the problem with what he's saying ... he still believes he "is the best English full-back", selection "is one man's opinion" and he accepts that. If I was his coach, that would be what I want him to be saying - followed up by " and I'm going to prove it to you".

As for my opinion, Goode is better.

What I don't like is why the BBC have gone to him for a chat right now, when he's not been selected, or why he says, "I don't feel comfortable going into details [about the Teo incident] when the guys over there are preparing for a massive tournament". Dude, you're still talking to the media about yourself and England selection and the guys are still in Japan, preparing for a massive tournament!
Posts: 831  Location: Munich mostly and sometimes the sprawling metropolis of Stroud
Diamo
On the board

Sheddy Mcshedface 12 Sep 2019 11:13 am said..

Diamo wrote:I don't see the problem with what he's saying ... he still believes he "is the best English full-back", selection "is one man's opinion" and he accepts that. If I was his coach, that would be what I want him to be saying - followed up by " and I'm going to prove it to you".

As for my opinion, Goode is better.

What I don't like is why the BBC have gone to him for a chat right now, when he's not been selected, or why he says, "I don't feel comfortable going into details [about the Teo incident] when the guys over there are preparing for a massive tournament". Dude, you're still talking to the media about yourself and England selection and the guys are still in Japan, preparing for a massive tournament!

You clicked on the link and read the story that's why.
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

BigBatch 12 Sep 2019 11:37 am said..

Never rated Brown. In my mind even when he was being selected regularly there were other fullbacks I would have selected ahead of him.
But as you say, selection is one mans opinion.
BigBatch
Senior squad member

Peanutcoxy 12 Sep 2019 11:46 am said..

There are very few, if any, full backs around that offer everything you would want; good positional sense, tackles well, good under the high ball, attacks with pace, communicates with his wingers well and is consistent. Out of all of those, it depends on what EJ sees as the most important and will select accordingly. In my mind, pace and attacking flair are what he sees as essentials if we are to win the World Cup and has selected accordingly. However we see Goode and Brown, neither can compete on that front with Watson and Daly
The older I get the faster I was
Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer

glawfindel 12 Sep 2019 11:53 am said..

Surely he's not doing himself any favours in the event of an injury, that might have seen him get a call from Eddie - probably blown that chance now
glawfindel
Hall of Famer

Not1eyed 12 Sep 2019 14:02 pm said..

I agree that Goode is a fantastic footballer that reads the game very well, but for me lacks the pace of an international 15.
Not1eyed
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby