RWC19 "Stuff"

On the board

Re: RWC19 "Stuff"

03 Nov 2019 08:19 am:

Tuffty wrote:Firstly I think it was fantastic to see a black rugby player lifting the Webb Ellis Cup today. Many of us on Shedweb were part of the generation that saw South Africa shrug off apartheid and lift the Cup for the first time in 1995. The significance of Nelson Mandela handing the Cup to François Pienaar is a moment in history I am proud to have witnessed.

Secondly, it was fantastic to see Kolisi bringing his children on, and the other South African players bringing their children on, after the final whistle. That inclusion encompasses everything about the wonderful values that makes our sport so special. Equally the way in which the South African players went to each of the four sides of the stadium and bowed as one epitomise the values of our sport.

I think holding the Rugby World Cup in Japan has added phenomenal worth to the game of rugby, and hopefully has made us all better people.

I totally agree with your comments Tuffty. It was a gladening sight, in stark contrast with the insulting behaviour of the England players, with the exception of Curry, in refusing to wear their runners-up medals. We can add to that the interview given by Farrell after the game, not one word of praise for the opposition that had just outplayed his team.
Hall of Famer

03 Nov 2019 08:42 am:

I, personally, don’t have a major problem with them not wearing losers medals.
Didn’t see Farrell interview but never been a big fan of players having to do interviews so quickly after what must be a very emotional experience.
Just look at some of the nonsense people post on here after a defeat.
So on this I’ll cut them a little slack.
Great thing is majority of this English squad should be around for the next World Cup. Hopefully they keep the coaching team together too. Onwards and upwards.
Well done Japan on a fantastic tournament and congratulations to worthy winners SA
Vice-Captain

03 Nov 2019 08:50 am:

With regards to the medals, I get it, I don’t think it’s ungracious or disrespectful at all. We need to remember these guys are professional competitors, they live to win and they didn’t get the ultimate prize today, so I can completely understand taking off those medals.

With regards to the game, SA were brilliant at choking us out of it. With such dominance in the scrum and defence, there was no where for us to go. That being said, too many of our boys had bad games when they needed to step up. I’m not going to name names, but I think we know that dropped balls, erratic offloads and passes put us under even more pressure. Going forward I think England should start looking at other options at 15 and maybe 9, I think they’re probably our weakest areas. I’m not having a go at Daly or Youngs, because they were both excellent against the AB’s, but both those positions have been a problem area for us for some time now.

Let’s not forgot how well England played all tournament, it’s no time to panic, it hurts and it feels really horrible right now, but we lost one game against better opposition on the day. I hope Eddie stays.

Finally, I don’t really understand the relevance of people saying we peaked in the semi. As far as I’m concerned, if we didn’t peak in the semi against arguably the most dangerous side in the world, then we wouldn’t have made the final. So I’d rather us give ourselves an opportunity to win the thing, it just wasn’t to be today.

Congrats to South Africa and to Franco. If another team was going to win the World Cup I’d wish it to be them because of what it’ll do for their country, just wish it wasn’t against England.

03 Nov 2019 10:34 am:

Fair points. There is a horrible modern tendency - fuelled by the media- to have to make sweeping conclusions after an important win or loss. It was a big game of rugby at the end of a few others. SA were pedestrian in the Semi and Eng were in the final . as a result you get the games the way they were. Both Teams can be proud of what they did in the Comp and many of the other teams are not bad teams because they didn't make the final. NZ are still probably the best there is despite being a losing 1/2 team.
As regards th eSA team it shows how quikly fortunes can change. You just need to be on the right bit of the curve for the big games. My only dissapointment on things as a whole is that the grinning politicians from SA will lap up the glory and very little will change for the poor in SA in terms of living conditions, crime etc. However it makes good copy.
Hero in the making

03 Nov 2019 10:34 am:

Sorry Kentish I can’t accept your point reference the rejection of the medals. Being chosen to represent your country is the greatest honour to be offered to any sportsperson. They are not there to represent themselves - they are there as their respective country’s representatives. To reject the medals - Which effectively is what all but one did - shows a remarkable lack of all round respect and pride in being the chosen ones . Perhaps they are merely reflecting the sad state our society is currently in? It was not what I would have accepted and, at the very least, I would expect/hope that the RU ask them to explain their actions.
West is best
Hall of Famer

03 Nov 2019 10:39 am:

Have to disgree about the medals Kentish. IMHO it says we lost and so the game meant nothing to me which disrepects the opposition and hosts. Can you imagine the SA captain and the journey he has been on doing the same had he lost - not a chance.
I can understand Englands disappointment as they were spanked, but you have to take these things with good grace.
Hall of Famer

03 Nov 2019 10:42 am:

They reject the medals or just take them in their hand not round their neck?
Tj36

Re: RWC19 "Stuff

03 Nov 2019 10:44 am:

kentishglaws wrote:With regards to the medals, I get it, I don’t think it’s ungracious or disrespectful at all. We need to remember these guys are professional competitors, they live to win and they didn’t get the ultimate prize today, so I can completely understand taking off those medals.

Absolutely agree Kentishglaws.

Can’t recall who, or which station it was on, but they were discussing the All Blacks & it was said that the 3rd place medals would be binned.
It’s easy to knock them, how many will ever get that chance again?
Wonder if this would have been even mentioned if it wasn’t England?
Hall of Famer

03 Nov 2019 10:49 am:

I agree TJ36. Was going say, on a much smaller scale I know, but I picked up a few losers medals over my years of playing and not 1 made it home with me. As I understand it as I didn’t watch the ceremony as had to go to work they accepted the medals but only Curry wore it round his neck. Is this correct?
Hall of Famer

03 Nov 2019 10:53 am:

ROLLO wrote:Have to disgree about the medals Kentish. IMHO it says we lost and so the game meant nothing to me which disrepects the opposition and hosts. Can you imagine the SA captain and the journey he has been on doing the same had he lost - not a chance.
I can understand Englands disappointment as they were spanked, but you have to take these things with good grace.

No it doesn't. It says we lost and it hurts and I'd rather not have a medal around my neck as a symbol of what will probably the biggest regret of my life. I can easily imagine the South Africans or any team doing the same.

People are talking about this like England are the first team ever to do it when on fact it is pretty much standard procedure. Watch any cup final in nearly any sport over the last few years and I can pretty much guarantee that you will see plenty of other players doing the exact same thing. This is an absolute something of nothing.
Keyser Sose
PreviousNext

Return to Gloucester Rugby